Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I return a dented refrigerator?

Posted by sh3all (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 18:22

A new refrigerator I received from Home Depot last week had a dent near the back left side corner (about 1/2 inch deep and bulging slightly in the back). The dent resulted in a sharp edge on the corner.

The 18.1 cu ft refrigerator was clearance item ($339) and the manager said he would take another %15 off for the dent. He also said I could return the item and get a refund.

My concerns are:
1. Something internally may be damaged in the dented area.
2. The warranty is voided because of the damage.

Is the warranty still valid? Also, what's located in the back left corner of the refrigerator? What could be damaged in that area?

Thanks,
Stephen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I return a dented refrigerator?

Umm....you didn't ask that cooperative manager those questions? They're quite reasonable and I would expect him to be responsive.

o

I did ask the manager and he said yes. I just wanted to validate his response.

o

Not all refrigerators are designed the same ... so the best way to determine what may be at the left-rear corner is by examining it yourself, or by posting the model number so someone can be helpful and look up the details.

o

The problem we have had with any kind of item like that we have bought was they assured us at the time it would be under warranty but when we took it in for a problem, they found that some circumstance on the inside(like soda was spilled in it or someone tried to work on it or whatever)and that voided the warranty.

o

"I just wanted to validate his response.'

because the collective here has any power to speak for a Depot manager ???

They are a pretty good outfit , so I'd expect his word to be good enough,

BUT

the terms of your agreement are spelled out on your order sheet - the 8.5 x 11 horizontal sheet that describes what you are/were buying.

o

If it were me, I'd probably return the dented fridge unless you can ascertain that the damage is just cosmetic. On the other hand, for $288 (339 - 15% discount), you could just take your chances. Even if they don't honor the warranty, at that price you could just toss it and buy at new one without too much remorse.

o

You can also call GE or Whirlpool or whomever made the fridge, give em the serial # and ask them if it's still under warranty.

The warranty is with them , not the Depot anyway. Easier to do that then arrange for transportation of a fridge back to the store.

o

The issue isn't really whether it's under warranty now - the issue will be if the manufacturer will honor the warranty if there's a problem and the manufacturer realizes the fridge had prior damage. Someone else on this forum recently had that issue with a high-end fridge that they bought online that had shipping damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here