Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is vent hood quieter with wood cover?

Posted by pottermom (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 18:11

With kitchen demolition for the gut/rehab scheduled for Fat Tuesday, I need to finalize the cabinet configuration. What is the quietest vent motor with at least 6700 cfms, and are vents inside wood cabinetry quieter than stainless steel hoods with exposed chimneys?

I have a small kitchen in a 1906 classic rectilinear house with 10 foot ceilings and white painted woodwork. I am planning soapstone counters, cherry (?) cabinets, and a mosaic glass/ming green marble backsplash.

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is vent hood quieter with wood cover?

In the strictest sense, yes. But not so much that you'd be able to tell without good hearing.

Most hood noise is generated because air is moving through the filters. If your hood has an internal motor IT will be a bit more quiet in a wood enclosure because it will be a bit more damped than metal one, but not enough to make you go "wow, that's a quiet hood".

For a system with a remote or inline blower it won't really be any more or less quiet encase in wood.

o

6700 CFM??? Are you running double woks burners or other restaurant equipment? Make up air will be a must with that.

o

I assume 6700 CFMs is a typo. Most likely meant 600.

o

Agree with antss - dont believe there is much difference. Follow other posts on range hood topics on this forum for discussion on factors that cause noise or limit noise - ducting, filter type, quality of blower and external vs internal blowers - as determined by the need of the range - all to often people want external blowers because they think they are quiter - an example - mount a 1000cfm wall mount blower directly behind the hood and the noise level is about equal to that of an internal 1200cfm(a quality one that is)

Here is a link that might be useful: More on range hood noise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here