Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High End Compactor?

Posted by downtowner (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 17:59

We've had a KA compactor for about 10 years. Everything else in our kitchen is ultra high end, so I researched to see if there was an upgrade available. As a public service this is what I found.

Broan and Electrolux make a superior compactor, that looks to be the same model. It has these advantages:
well-built
quieter
stores bags
Programmable compaction - you can set it to compact at 4am every day and keep the stuff compressed for two hours to press it down.
Odor suppression.
The Broan at least has dimples on the bottom of the compacting plate to break up things like bottles.

However, it is just not designed for normal use!
It is designed to compact stuff you have already put in a trash basket.

To use it, you open a hinged door, reach down and pull out the basket, which is on rollers. You put in a napkin, or whatever, push the basket back in, and then close the door.

No one wants to bend down every time they throw away a candy wrapper.

My contractor was here, and we took a look at the KA. One annoyance I had not noticed is that for some time the bin has not been rolling out when the foot release is pressed.

It turns out that the thing holding the roller had come off. Contractor applied some WD40, 3 in 1, and then reattached the slide part that had come off the side of the machine. Now, at least, the bin pops out when the foot latch releases it.

I'm still waiting for Miele, Gaggenau or Bosch, or anyone, to produce a high end compactor that is usable in a high end kitchen.

Even artisinal and gourmet ingredients produce garbage, as do takeout and caterers and home chefs. Even people with staff have limited space to store the trash, and when space goes for 4 figures a sF, and the place you might put the trash has been exquisitely designed --are you listening high end manufacturers. Please rescue us from KitchenAid!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High End Compactor?

"still waiting for Miele, Gaggenau or Bosch, or anyone, to produce a high end compactor"

You're going to be waiting a looooooong time, and without fulfillment most likely.

The Europeans have ZERO market for that product at home, and that's where the r&d and product devlp. is.

Viking is your best bet for "high end" snob appeal. Especially the 18" wide version.

o
RE: High End Compactor?

I'm in the market for a new one and was looking over compactors yesterday.

Do you actually have to manually pull out the bin? I thought I read that it is open door, push button then it rolls out?

The Electrolux Icon looks so nice, bigger motor than many I couldn't confirm if it is quieter. It will hold the compaction which I really like (and many do not do that). HOWEVER, as you mentioned who in the heck designed them to require two hands to use? The Elux User's Guide is not even posted on their website. I believe that they're hoping no one notices before purchasing. If these will sell at all they are going to have to come up with some really good reasoning WHY this would be better than the toe-tap/hands free versions.

So, which others are you considering?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here