Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low/Mid-Range Wall Oven - Please HELP!

Posted by seadweller (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:58

I'll cut to the chase...We're building a new kitchen, and I just spent a fortune on a rangetop and vent hood, which blew my budget out of the water. Knowing what dishwasher we'll buy leaves me with less than $1,500 for a 30", single wall oven.

After reading exhaustively, I'm as confused as I was when I started. The oven will be used for routine things, and my wife likes to bake, but not 4 times a week. 75% of the use will be baking potatoes, reheating stuff, roasting sausages, etc. Occassionally, cookies, muffins and the like. We do very little broiling.

I have a line on a Dacor Distinctive oven for $1K, but don't like what I've been reading. Then I've seen the Bosch 300 series for close to $1K. I'm not thrilled with the typical Home Depot/Lowes stuff, so which way should I go? I'm most concerned about good performance and reliability.

Thanks for any and all input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low/Mid-Range Wall Oven - Please HELP!

A lot of people have good luck at the Sears Outlet, if there's one near you. You might be able to find something that you didn't think you could afford. Also, I seem to remember that Kenmore ovens at Sears go on a big sale - like 50% off - in April and October.

Have you tried looking for floor models?

As far as brands, I know some people here like their Bosch ovens. I have Elux, which is considered dependable, but it would be too expensive unless you can find one at the Sears Outlet - which people sometimes do.

o

Get a Bosch 500 series (lowest level) wall oven--within your price range, reliable, quiet, roomy. bakes evenly. Do a google search using the following: gardenweb forum + Bosch wall oven. Electrolux ovens also have plenty of supporters as well on this website.

o

I second Ginny's rec of Sears outlet. They have a website, but check local stores as well. We got our 27" Elux from the outlet store a year ago for about half list price. It was a floor model, but it had never been turned on and arrived in pristine condition. We went over it very thoroughly and cannot find a single ding or scratch. You have to keep watching the website and when your chosen model appears, get it quickly! Elux disappears within minutes of being posted.

It came with full manufacturer's warranty, but against my better judgment we also got Sears' extended warranty ($250 for 5 years, concurrent with Elux warranty), just for DH's peace of mind. We exercised the warranty for the first time recently when I thought it wasn't heating as quickly as it should. We had a service person within a day of calling who checked it out thoroughly and told us it was operating perfectly. He also gave us some extra information about cleaning, maintenance etc.

Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here