Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for recommendations on reasonably priced ranges

Posted by Fynite (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:49

We have a new home, and one of the things we are eventually going to want to replace is the 30'' range. We are mostly "once a night" cooks, so I'm not so much worried about something that can take professional levels of use. I'm looking for this to come in at the $1000 range, and what I expect I won't get most of the features I want, but I would like recommendations that help me get as many features as possible.

Things we are looking for:

Self Clean oven. We use this at least once a year on our current oven, and if is a really nice feature, especially since some of our lasanges and pizza don't like to stay where they are told.

Current Temperature readout and a cook time shutoff.

Convection oven would be nice, but I don't know if we can get that in the price range we are looking at.

Single oven (or a double oven where the small drawer is on bottom and the big drawer is on top.)

I do really like a feature that I have seen on my parent's bluestar range top, where the burners have the flame coming directly up from them, rather than in a ring around the outside, and the center of the top can be removed to lower a wok down into the heat. But I don't know if this is only available on high end models?

It would be nice to have the oven controls on the front so that you don't have to reach across hot pots to get to them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for recommendations on reasonably priced ranges

For the features you want, you'll have a hard time finding them in your budget. Very few gas ranges have self-cleaning ovens and most of them are on high end ranges. Also, many people avoid using self-clean even on electric ranges because most electric ovens have lots of electronics and self-clean can fry the electronics.

If you don't want the controls on the back of the range, then you'll need to get a slide-in range or go higher end to a pro-style range.

Sorry to be so negative but these days $1k only buys a very basic range.

o
RE: Looking for recommendations on reasonably priced ranges

Definitely options for you out there. There are many self-cleaning ranges available in gas.

Your wish to have the controls on the front will certainly cost you more money, but it is a much sleeker look. If you go this route, make sure you consider the gap that will be created at the back of the range, as a slide in range typically does not go all the way to the back wall like a conventional free standing range.

Here are some self cleaning slide in gas ranges.
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/GW397LXU.html
with convection http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/GW399LXUS.html

free standing (under $1000)
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WFG510S0A.html
with convection
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WFG540H0A.html

Lots of timer options and display of temps etc on all of these models. You'll find similar models under the Maytag name, and Frigidaire and GE will have multiple models that fit into your budget as well. Finding a non-self cleaning gas range is the more difficult thing now a days, until you get into some of the entry level pro ranges, like Wolf, Viking, Thermador etc.

Some of the other features you've mentioned about the burners, that''s where things will really start costing you money. Most of the well developed burners on the market happen to be attached to the pro ranges, where the more basic ranges out there will all source their burners from companies that just manufacturer burners. Nothing special to them, not super hot, not super at simmering, but will get the job done.

I suggest going into a brick and mortar store and talking to a sales person, they will hopefully have lots of knowledge, and more options that you'll get browsing internet forums :)

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here