Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Is there an advantage to buying an insert liner (Kobe hood)?

wi-sailorgirl
11 years ago

We're getting a Kobe insert vent hood to go inside a custom wood mantel-style hood that our cabinet maker is building. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, we have a 30-inch dual-fuel Jenn-Air. Although our current range has a downdraft vent, we are installing a traditional overhead vent not only for better performance now but so that we will have more flexibility when it comes time to replace our range. Hopefully that won't be for awhile, but if were choosing today I'd go with professional-type range, a wolf, bluestar, culinarian, viking, etc., still in the 30-inch size.

We are planning on a 38-inch wide mantel hood (for looks more than anything) that we'll put the insert into. Originally my plan was to get the 30-inch Kobe built in, with a stainless liner, that takes the width out to about 34.5 inches.

Now I see that a new 36-inch built-in (750 cfm) is available that is the same width as the 30-inch with a line (don't know why a 36-inch hood is really 34-3/8th inches, but whatever) and actually about an inch less deep.

By the time I buy the 30-inch plus a liner (which I thought would help keep things clean under the larger mantel hood), it's actually MORE than the 36-inch insert alone (there doesn't seem to be a liner option for that one at this time).

Given that the larger insert itself would hopefully protect the underside of the mantel hood as I had hoped the liner would and that general recommendation here is to go a bit larger than the range, it seems like this is an obvious choice to go with the larger 36-inch hood vs. the 30-inch plus liner combo, or am I missing something here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kobe built-in hoods specs

This post was edited by wi-sailorgirl on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 18:00

Comments (2)