Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wobbly1905

All-Refrigerator/ All-Freezer: Frigidaire, Electrolux, Icon

wobbly1905
12 years ago

Looks like an all-refrigerator coupled with an all-freezer will work well for our kitchen remodel. We need some help choosing between the Frigidaire Professional series ($1200 each), the Electrolux IQ series ($1800 each ), and the Icon Professional ($2200 each). They are all the same size and probably have the same mechanical components. Any reasons why the higher end series merit the increased prices, or is this just a marketing ploy?

Since the freezer and refrigerator won't be next to each other, we could select an Icon refrigerator and a Frigidaire freezer, or some other combination. It would be nice if both units had matching stainless finishes, though.

Comments (20)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Get the model numbers you are considering and then google that model along with the word reviews.

Elux had problems with their fridges a few years ago, we do see a more positive trend on recent posts here in GW about Elux & Frigidaire fridges, but still best to double check.

Also try to get to a store where they are hooked up. I don't know if you saw the post or not, but there was quite a "Battle" going on about the noise a posters Thermador columns are making---so a lil homework (or store work), might save you the grief that poster is going through now!

Please review whatever you buy, as Elux fridge & freezer
    reviews (particulaly the separates) are pretty scarce here in Garden Web---Thanks!!!

Sorry, I do not know the specific differences.

Gary

• njgolfnut
    12 years ago

Talked to my kitchen designer about this option yesterday. The All-fridge and All-freezer would hold more and be a lot less expensive than some built-ins. However, I think the 60+ inches needed for both would overwhelm our space. Anyway, they mentioned the Frigidair first. Apparently they saw them installed and were impressed. And this is from a place that only sells high end stuff.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

If ypou can't find the spce, look at some of the 48" built in. We have a Jenn-Air (5 years now), and are very happy with its looks as well as its performance & reliability.

Gary

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

I looked at the same options for our prep kitchen. Rhome410 has the Elux versions (1 freezer and 2 fridges) and has been happy with them. I think she has had them for several years. She posted pics and another poster (can't recall name) posted her Frigidaires. She also stated no issues. We are going with the Elux Icon (wanted the pro looking handle) with a 36 SubZ in the primary kitchen.

A quick compare on AJ Madison of the three choices via link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elux, Frigidaire Compare

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't have a 60" space either, or a 48" space, for that matter. Single unit trim kits are available. The Frigidaire's have stainless doors, but the sides are painted. The sides won't be seen when the units are enclosed in wood cabinets or with wood end panels.

It would be great to see the three series next to one another, but all I can eyeball in person is the Icon.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Jscout,

Are the handles on the Frigidaire Pro the same as the Elux Icon handles?

M

• jscout
    12 years ago

No, they're a little more curvy, but not as curvy as the Whirlpool or GE Profile.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

We have the Fridigaire Pro units. However, we have only used them for 3 weeks or so as we just moved in.

We haven't even installed the trim kits yet. We love the space, size, and for our kitchen, the look.

I notice some noise a bit when they switch on, but my wife doesn't. I am not even sure if it is the Fridge or the Freezer yet that I can hear. They are certainly not any noisier than our KA side by sides we had in our last two homes. I am thinking of putting some noise absorbing foam in the big cabinet openings before we put our trim kit together and before we push them all the way back into place. But I am not sure it would be worth it...The only reason I notice the noise is probably from others on here talking about it, so I was already sensitive to it!

They are a really nice alternative I think. I will certainly follow up with a longer term review in the future.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

MichelleDT is right that we have 2 Icon fridges and 1 Icon freezer, still doing well 4 yrs in. When we bought ours, I think the Frigidaire units were not energy star rated, but the Icon were, and I think they both are now. I also think the Frig had wire shelves while the Icon had glass, and as JScout said, less in organizational features and lighting.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

And just so you know, they are each 32", so the set would need about 5 1/2 ft of space, and one needs about 33", plus cabinet sides. One thing we did was to make sure we situated or used cabinets that would make it easy to adapt for a standard 36" wide fridge in case we ever needed to change.

• lee676
    12 years ago

Worth noting there's a Kenmore Elite version of this built-in-look fridge and freezer too, about $1500 each, like the other aforementioned brands manufactured by Electrolux.

I wish they had a narrower version of the freezer, kind of like the Bosch/Thermador/Gaggenau "columns", for those of us with less room.

These are a great idea - they look and feel almost like true built-ins at 35% the price.

• agentslim
    12 years ago

Would love to hear how this goes. I have been looking at these for my new build as well. AJ madison has the frigidaire ones on sale.

• taggie
    12 years ago

We have the Kenmore Pro ones (like these) which I think are made by Frigidaire. (?)

We've only had them installed for 2 months, but before that they sat for 2 years in our dirty garage -- long story -- so we were a little worried about how they would work after sitting for all that time but bottom line, no problems, and we're thrilled with them.

For the price they can't be beat. There are two slightly odd things about them however. One is that there's no meat drawer, which I was used to in our other fridge and I do miss that. There are two HUGE drawers which I love having, but we fill one with fruits and the other with veggies, so then I just have meat on one the shelf above the drawers, which is okay but I would rather have a drawer for it.

The second odd thing is that the shelf structure above the drawers are actually attached to the drawers themselves and they don't seem to come off for cleaning. The glass itself lifts out, but the surrounding shelf frame doesn't detach from the drawer (at least that we could figure out!) which makes it awkward for cleaning as you can't just turn it upside down into your sink and dump out fallen particles.

Those are very minor inconveniences for the space and convenience (especially the freezer space which is incredible), and overall I love these appliances and I would get them again in a heartbeat.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

The second odd thing is that the shelf structure above the drawers are actually attached to the drawers themselves and they don't seem to come off for cleaning. The glass itself lifts out, but the surrounding shelf frame doesn't detach from the drawer (at least that we could figure out!) which makes it awkward for cleaning as you can't just turn it upside down into your sink and dump out fallen particles.

Yes!!!! Although we have a meat drawer in the Elux Icon version, this is how our drawers work, too, and it's the only negative about these sets. It's kind of a pain when it comes to cleaning the drawers. It can turn into quite a project, as we tend to wait til they all need it (badly), and empty out the whole fridge or freezer and do it all at once.

What were they thinking? ;-)

• russ8128
    12 years ago

We've had them for a couple of years. They look great and we saved tons over the comps but we've had problems with the freezer (fixed 3x for the thermostat) and our dishwasher 6x. Actually all of our Electrolux appliances have been repaired at least once (washer/dryer/48" range, refrig drawers, dishwasher, refrig/freezer, & 57" grill!!)

• schecht3
    11 years ago

So other than a nice looking handle, what do you get for the upcharge? We are trying to make a decision between the 2 and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

• tompkinsde
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A fellow Houzzer suggested I join this conversation to ask what was the choice and satisfaction results of an all fridge/all freezer. We are building a new house and I want this concept, but separated and placed in a 36" cabinet for future replacement if necessary. My initial dilemma was no filtered water and ice dispenser, but moved past that with help from those who have had problems with them. I am a bit of a clean freak and a puddle of water or drips down the front do irritate me. My greatest fear at present is the reliability and warranty service of the all fridge/all freezer units. As I'm leaning toward the Frigidaire Professional series, can anyone who has owned them share their experience? Or share if you have had a great experience with a particular brand?

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    8 years ago

We are just at 4 years with Frigidaire units -- and we love them. I do wish that they were just a tiny bit quieter at times, as I already mentioned above. However, our VinoTemp under counter wine fridge is probably twice as loud in my estimation.

As far as any problems we have only had to replace the fridge side door seal. I think the original install somehow messed the seal up as it was deformed in one corner for quite a while before we replaced it last year. Other than that problem, at this point they are doing great. The trim kit was installed after a few months and we also put some sound foamin the cabinet opening to help reduce the sound in the big space.

I don't know what we would have gained from getting the more expensive Electrolux units, but the more basic Frigidaire looks and functions just fine for us....

• Stacy Zimring
    5 years ago

Can the Electrolux icon hold multiple cookie sheets that are approx 13” x 18”?