Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyjill_gw

Does anyone have anything from the Whirlpool White Ice line?

Pattyjill
11 years ago

I really do not like SS and am considering the White Ice line. I want to go with a Wolf cooktop so trying to incorporate some SS in the other appliances. Any thoughts? TIA

Patty

Comments (20)

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

I did a partial remodel of my kitchen about 1 1/2 years ago. We have a home with Georgian architecture and I decided I wanted to keep the white appliances as I like the look with the architecture of the home and the white woodwork.

I picked out Monte Bello granite which is creamy white with grey veining and black spots and some silver mica. I like the white appliances with the lighter cabinets and light countertop. I also thought stainless brought out the grey veining in the granite. So, I decided to mix and match the white stove, microwave, and dishwasher with a stainless fridge. All of our white appliances have grey writing on them. I picked out a fridge with no black in it (Grey sides, stainless handles, etc). I really like how it turned out. I put stainless hardware on our cabinets and picked out stainless accents for canisters. I chose a backsplash of white with grey grout accented by marble pencils and mosaic. The grey veining in the marble complements our granite and coordinates the appliances. Of note is that we actually have more natural oak cabinets and the picture makes them look darker- like a golden oak.

We have over-sized windows in our house. I decided to go with the architecture and decorate the kitchen as if it were a sunroom/ garden kitchen.

Not sure how to upload pics- it would only let me do one. I will try to post another one to show the fridge with the other appliances.

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

Picture of white appliances with stainless fridge. Note: I plan to move the cabinet over the fridge out. I am happy with results except I think the cabinet needs to be pulled out and doing this might give it a more built-in look.

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

Marble mosaic in a herringbone pattern which I made myself.I think it complements and blends the white and stainless.

This post was edited by JLGC on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 0:53

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

Another view of the kitchen.

• skipchuck
    11 years ago

Hi Pattyjill- I've been lurking here for a little while, but just today joined the site (to comment on your post). We don't have our new Whirlpool White Ice appliances yet, but they're on order now from Best Buy (got a great price, but don't get me started on how inefficient their service is). I'm not sure if most folks realize it, but "White Ice" is quite different from traditional white finish. It has more of a modern look, like frosted glass. I haven't seen it in person, but other folks have described it like an iPod finish. There are a couple of design bloggers who've blogged about White Ice from Whirlpool here (un-sponsored posts, I think):

1) http://austincubed.blogspot.com/p/the-chosen-ones.html

2) http://mymcmlife.com/2013/01/25/new-home-tour-kitchen/

Austin Cubed said that, "he's never seen the elusive White Ice appliances in person", but they're on order and he will post pics once installed.

I'll try to remember to do the same with ours. I'm hoping that the line really does have a contemporary iPod look. We'll see!

PS - URL is to my DH website (i.e. he's a FT musician :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Joey McGee Music

• swhtech
    11 years ago

I just ordered my SxS fridge, Gas stove, and microwave in White Ice yesterday. We had to do a lot of searching to find a sample of White Ice in a store here in Massachusetts. There are literally 2 stores in all of Mass that have samples of White Ice. We are doing white cabinets (Designer White), with Waterfall granite (gray, white, green), and a dark gray/slate looking tile floor. We liked the idea of white appliances but with some Stainless accents to breakup the white. We also chose a coordinating door pull to go with the pulls on the appliances. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but I will post pictures when things start to come in.

• swhtech
    11 years ago

I actually found a few pics I took of a French Door White Ice fridge at a Sears Outlet....it still has the plastic over the finish, but maybe it will give you an idea of the look. Here's the first pic....

• swhtech
    11 years ago

Next pic....hope this helps.

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

The White Ice line definitely has a more contemporary look. However, I think this has more to do with the lines of the products than the actual finish. The edges are very square-similar to IKEA appliances.

I think that the advantage of the combo of white and stainless is that it looks good with light and medium stained cabinetry. I think I would prefer stainless with darker stained wood cabinetry because the white would contrast with the dark wood and give it a cut-up look. However, I am still tired of stainless and if I had dark stained cabinets, I would probably go with the Black Ice appliances. However, for a more contemporary look (I think I would call this the IKEA look), the white could be mixed with dark contemporary cabinets to give it something of a black and white look.

I also like the look of a more seamless transition between the cook-top and the counter-top. I would prefer to see a black cook-top with a dark counter-top and white or stainless cook-top with a lighter counter-top.

This post was edited by JLGC on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 12:45

• jlcorp
    11 years ago

Pattyjill - What style of cabinets do you have? Can you post a picture?

• Pattyjill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I have not picked my cabinets yet! I am learning towards a painted look though. I live at the beach and think painted would be a nice change. Right now I have a darker maple with white appliances.

Would certainly love to see pictures of the white ice appliance when they are installed. Thank you and good luck with your projects.

• lee676
    11 years ago

These look great in pictures, but I was a bit disappointed when I saw them IRL. Also, a rather scant selection.

• realism
    11 years ago

I think this line is a bit of a gimmick and won't be around for very long. Think about that. What happens if one of the appliances breaks in a few years and has to be replaced. You might have trouble finding another white appliance with stainless handles or a white appliance with a similar finish. Then your new appliance is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I don't think it's a problem if the white ice is not available when one appliance finally breaks down. If it were my kitchen I'd just replace with stainless. Since the others will have stainless trim, it would be fine. I haven't seen this finish IRL, but they seem pretty. They would be a clean, modern look.

• realism
    11 years ago

Ginny20- The original poster indicated they dont like SS and are considering the white ice line to minimize the ss in the kitchen while maintaining overall cohesion. I would assume they would prefer not to replace an appliance with a ss one.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Whoops! Good point, realism. Never mind.

• octoberdana
    11 years ago

I have white appliances (whirlpool) and am replacing my stove and fridge. I have decided to get a white stove (since I have a white over stove microwave) and I'm considering going with an all stainless (no black) fridge. We do have some stainless/black small appliances (toaster oven, coffee maker, etc) so I think the stainless might look nice with that, but I don't want to have to replace the dishwasher and microwave right now.

Thanks to the pictures in this thread I can visualize that it wouldn't be so bad to mix them up!

• chynadoll0804
    7 years ago

I love the look, but nothing but problems with this collection. Problems with the ice maker, doors not staying closed and its impossible to move. Cannot adjust the temp inside this is a horrible appliance!!!!!

• jangreben
    last year

I have had the Whirlpool White Ice appliances about six years. We have had to replace the pump 2 times as it keeps going out. Not happy with ice depenser in the French Door refrigerator either. I liked the appearance of the White Ice but so disappointed with my purchase. I had house built 20 years ago when white molding and doors were poplular.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County