Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent Hood and Avoiding Harmful Fumes

Posted by GreenDog194 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 17:43

Our contractors think I should use a 30 inch hood over a 30 inch range. I have an opportunity to purchase a used (5 year old) Vent-a-Hood (like model PRH18-236SS) that is 36 inches wide.

I'm thinking that 36 inch hood is better than a 30 inch hood, and would select that option even if I did not have the opportunity to save money with a used appliance.

I am a bit crazy about fearing the byproducts of incomplete combustion from my gas range, and about health risks from byproducts of cooking oil (e.g., lung cancer: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/151/2/140.full.pdf). A good vent is very, important to me.

Here are my questions:

(1) Is 36 inch hood over a 30 inch stove a good idea?

(2) Any reason not to buy a used Vent-a-Hood?

(3) What to look out for in a used Vent-a-Hood?

(4) Any other brands of hood that will help set aside my harmful fumes paranoia?

(5) Any comments on my range choice -- dual fuel, given my concern about gas fumes (can't do induction because my dad has a pacemaker and does not like to stay out of the kitchen, and cleaning a smooth top electric drives me crazy).

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent Hood and Avoiding Harmful Fumes

I have been told that the hood should be larger then the range. I am purchasing a 36 inch range and have been told to get a 42 inch hood. So your used hood sounds like a perfect fit. I don't know anything about used hoods - however, I have been told that modern air is the best - but very expensive.

o

An oversized hood is fine. There are mixed feeling on this forum about Ventahood - some people find them difficult to clean. If you do buy a used one, make sure it easily comes apart for cleaning and that there isn't a grease build up on the inside.

You're overly concerned about harmful fumes. A properly functioning gas range doesn't produce carbon monoxide or other harmful fumes. A hood is used to vent heat, steam, odors, and grease.

o

Rising effluent expands as it rises, so the hood should be wider and deeper than the surface contour of the pans on the burners below it.

Technical details available if desired.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here