Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ck_squared

Would a Thermador and KA kitchen be an odd combination?

ck_squared
11 years ago

I have been investigating appliances for months now, researching the pros and cons of many of them both online and in-person. I think I've narrowed it down but am wondering if combining Thermador with KitchenAid appliances would be odd?

If you have any experience with any of these, please comment, good or bad. And feel free to give alternatives if you have any.

Here are my choices:
Rangetop: Thermador 36" gas rangetop PCG366G
Double ovens: KA Architect Series KEBS209B
Microwave drawer: Thermador MD24JS
Fridge: 42" Thermador SxS KBUIT42
Dishwasher: KA Superba Architect Series KUDE48FX

Plus Zephyr hood and possibly an Electrolux beverage center.

Any opinions on my 5 main appliances?

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• Gooster
    11 years ago

You probably already considered this, but if you are really set on that rangetop, getting the ovens would give you a free DW. That one is made by Bosch and in general is well regarded. (Miele seems to be a favorite here, but I've owned several Boschs). Adding the refrigerator gets you a hood as well.

I considered a mix of KA and Therm, with a Sharp MW drawer. The KA pro handles and the Therm pro handles are a pretty good style match.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

I agree with gooster in that if the appliances have handles, selecting those that have like styles (ie. all pro-style handles) gives a more unified look.

• xedos
    11 years ago

Better check into the KA dishwasher reliability and safety issues along with some recent oven woes when self cleaning.

Pay particular attention to how KA handles/ handled these um...issues.

• graelea
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who posted. In past homes, we've had Meile ovens/dishwasher and SZ/Wolf fridge, cooktop and oven, but in our temporary rental place, I've made some great meals using new basic Maytag models. So, I'm thinking that saving a bit of money will still give me lots to play with in the kitchen. I'm looking at either all Thermador, all KA, or a combination of the two, thinking that it's a compromise among functionality, looks and durability. The 36" freezer-bottom Thermador fridge is appealing, but would a KA store my food just as well? It's a toss-up between the 36" Thermador induction or gas cooktop, as I really like to cook--I've always cooked using gas before. The wall oven would be the same brand as the cooktop as it is going underneath. As for the dishwasher, Thermador has the promotion on, giving me a free dishwasher and hood fan if I go with everything. I just can't decide. The promotions are a bit like shopping for a mattress: comparisons are almost impossible.

My question is for those who have responded: which models did you end up purchasing and how have they worked so far?

• graelea
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who posted. In past homes, we've had Meile ovens/dishwasher and SZ/Wolf fridge, cooktop and oven, but in our temporary rental place, I've made some great meals using new basic Maytag models. So, I'm thinking that saving a bit of money will still give me lots to play with in the kitchen. I'm looking at either all Thermador, all KA, or a combination of the two, thinking that it's a compromise among functionality, looks and durability. The 36" freezer-bottom Thermador fridge is appealing, but would a KA store my food just as well? It's a toss-up between the 36" Thermador induction or gas cooktop, as I really like to cook--I've always cooked using gas before. The wall oven would be the same brand as the cooktop as it is going underneath. As for the dishwasher, Thermador has the promotion on, giving me a free dishwasher and hood fan if I go with everything. I just can't decide. The promotions are a bit like shopping for a mattress: comparisons are almost impossible.

My question is for those who have responded: which models did you end up purchasing and how have they worked so far?