Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nellym_gw

Capital Culinarian in Canada

nellym
13 years ago

After reading and watching out for the Capital Culinarian for many months, it has finally landed in Canada. For ordering anyway.

I might have to kiss my dream of owning one goodbye due to the price - it's a shocker! MSRP at $7,495 for the self cleaning 30" model, but the dealer is willing to sell it for $6,800 plus 12% tax (province/state of BC). Plus $160 installation. Well, that took care of 3/4 of my appliance budget.

Yowza.

I really don't understand it. Foreign exchange has been dancing around par between US and Canada and since it is made in the US there is no duty. Appliances are usually more expensive in Canada, but this takes the cake. I am devastated. :(

Hmm....what to do now?

Comments (20)

• weissman
    13 years ago

Buy it in the US and cart it home to Canada :-) I lived in Canada in the 70's when the Canadian dollar was a bit higher than the US dollar and electronics were always a lot higher in Canada. When I'd go to NY, friends would place their electonics orders with me and even with paying duty at the border they came out way ahead. Someone in Canada is making a lot of profit.

• nellym
    Original Author
    13 years ago

weissman, I wish I could but the Culinarian is a beast! Wondering if I can pay someone to bring it across...but that would add up the $.

Just got a price for Bluestar RNB V1 $5K dealer price and local. I could live with less BTUs, but no rotisserie. Grr.

• weissman
    13 years ago

Just curious, how much is that CC model in the US?

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

MAP is $5,840.

• bonesoda
    13 years ago

i was quoted 6k cdn for a 36" range. Where did you get yours from?

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Right; try to hide that thing in the back of your, um, 21' U-Haul going through the border and smile *really* sweetly and tell her/im you've spent less than $150?

Or maybe you could make friends with someone who's sending a moving van up anyway?

Good luck to you! Appliances -- and other consumer goods -- may be cheaper here in the lower 48, but we just shovel all our savings (and then some) back into insurance instead. At the end of the day, I think you've got more disposable income! And a really, really nice society IMHO.

As the factory seems to have huge control over the retail price, why not call them and ask about the parity-problem?

• bonesoda
    13 years ago

In canada the distributor is setting the price not capital in us.

The distributor is doing the usual currency, stock, duties markup and on top of that the usual us to can markup even though the currency exchange is in favour of us canadians.

• nellym
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is it worth it to write to Mr. Kalsi about this issue? The difference between US and Canadian prices seem excessive.

• maninthefridge
    13 years ago

Watch out for the CSA approval thing if you bring one into Canada. You may have to have the the unit approved to use in Canada as it is rated differently than the U.S.

• bonesoda
    13 years ago

what would you write to mr kalsi about? its the way canadian things are. There is NOTHING in canada that is same price wise in us... its always a lot more in canada than us.

Also if one purchases from within canada there should be no issues in terms of csa approval, warranty or anything else.

The price you pay has all the markups for the distributors duties and everything else built into it.

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

You could press your government to just accept the inevitable and start the process of assimilating into the USA.

• neer724
    13 years ago

Not sure where you live, but just rent a uhaul van, drive down to Michigan or Buffalo buy it and drive it back. Pay the HST, since it is made in the US there probably won't be any duty on it.

The rental and the taxes will be cheaper than buying it from the greedy Canadian distributor.

• bonesoda
    13 years ago

With a capital i am looking to get... price between my local supplier in ontario vs a us supplier the difference is only 300-400 for me.

I would recommend shop around and you are sure to hit a good price in ontario.

• amstergee
    13 years ago

The distributor is Integrated Appliances in Toronto. They are currently running a Capital Rebate across the country. It's posted on their webite and is changing quarterly, I think it's linked to the exchange rate. Their website is: www.integratedappliances.ca or 800-268-4086.

• nellym
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in Vancouver, BC. There are 2 dealers in BC - both of them quoted me similar prices, only about $100 difference from each other or 10% off MSRP.

Now I am thinking that perhaps I should get a manual version, it's just over $5K. Sales rep told me that 500 degrees at 1.5 hours is same as self clean. Not sure if I should believe this. The oil from the rotisserie really concerns me. What do you think?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

The manual clean range does not come with Rotisserie, so oil from the Rotiss wont be an issue.

The 3 differences from the Self Clean to the Manual Clean are.

Self Clean
    1) Self Clean
    2) Rolling Racks
    3) Rotisserie

• dan_no_9
    13 years ago

Trevor, what do you think of the claim that 500 degrees at 1.5 hours is the same as self clean?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

Dan.... simply put....RUBBISH....

You need over 800 degrees to come even close to self clean.

• nellym
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Trevor for the clarification on the self-clean. I knew it sounded too good to be true. All the features you listed for Self-Clean are what I want. I am going to write to Integrated Appliances and see if MSRP will change anytime this year. Too bad US retailers cannot drop ship to Canada! :)

• airedog
    11 years ago

If anything, prices are higher than ever; 36" self clean w/grill is now a touch over $8K. If you don't live in the Toronto area, there is also the question of service.