Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhousems

appliance warranties - whole house NJ

greenhousems
10 years ago

Hi all,
I had a scare when I had to get service for my Electrolux Icon double Convection oven. The wait for repair (3.5 weeks) and the price ( $280.00) was not something I was expecting on this top of the line oven. My tenant had put the lower oven to self clean on Christmas Eve and it blew out both ovens. I just had it repaired on Sunday.

Can anyone recommend a Warranty Service that will cover the repair of various aplliances along with Gas Furnace and Water Heater in my house under one umbrella? I am not sure that this even exists.... I live in the monmouth county area. Thanks for your responses!

Comments (7)

• blubird
    10 years ago

I live in Monmouth county, too, bracing for snow. I've been very happy with American home shield. We've had them for several years and have always been pleased with their assigned repair persons as well as their repair time frame.

While it is not cheap, I pay close to $700 for the year, and a $100 service charge for each call, I'm fairly certain that we get good value for the money. Invariably, we place service calls to fix 2-3 fairly big ticket items each year.

Just 2 weeks ago we had an issue with one of the zones in the furnace, I placed the work order request by phone on Sunday night and got a call on Monday morning to schedule a repair for later that day. (You can place your work order request online, but if you want to request a particular vendor, you must call AHS to request them.)

My daughter had one of those infamous LG Fridges which set itself on fire. LG replaced her fridge with a newer one but 3 years later she had difficulty obtaining replacement parts. AHS ultimately replaced the fridge - not an LG by my daughter's request.

I just renewed for another year.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

You can get $100 service calls without paying $600 a year on top of it. The best ''service policy'' is a regular preventative maintenance program and a savings account.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

I had AHS for years. They will fix things for years before replacing and when they replace they will either give you a choice of their vendors (GE is one of them) or give you an allowance refund once you give them a receipt for a purchased item. They did not allow for the fact that my appliances were stainless and therefore cost more to replace.
    It was nice to have one stop shopping for repair and they did have to replace a few high ticket items. I thnk we probably broke even in the end.

Read the fine print carefully to see what they will replace your items with. Pretty sure Electrolux is not included.

• blubird
    10 years ago

Scrappy,

When my daughter's stainless LG fridge was replaced by AHS, it was 3 years old. AHS gave my daughter a choice of either equivalent sized refrigerators (I think they had offered a Whirlpool), or to get a check for her original purchase price and she could get what she wanted, which she did. She replaced that LG with a GE Profile two years ago. I thought that was a fair deal - the replaced fridge was 3 years old and prices had gone up and she bought a bigger fridge.

So it would seem that although they may not offer to replace your Electrolux with another Electrolux, they might refund your money so that you could buy the brand you wanted.

Hollysprings, you are correct that you can get service calls for $100. What you cannot get for $100 is a service call and replacement parts. No way, no how.

There are years when I've had very expensive control panels replaced on my fridge and range, had disposers replaced and other high-ticket repairs.

There are very few years when AHS seems to come out ahead for me. I like their services and I've never had a dud repairperson, unlike the plumber I had found recommended through a plumbing supply store years before I had AHS. He put the water meter on backwards.
    'Nuff said.

When I get a reliable repair person through AHS, I can request that person for the next service call for the same trade.

• greenhousems
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback. I have signed up for the AHS programme based on these recommendations. If nothing else it gives some peace of mind. I did find out that they will refund or replace any appliance up to $3000.00 if it cannot be repaired.

• greenhousems
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is now 9 months since I enrolled with AHS and I can honestly say it would have been very costly without this plan.

Firstly for the 3 times I or my tenants have placed service calls their customer service is excellent and response time does not miss a beat.

Recently my Tenant informed me that he had been a little rough with the freezer and had caused some damage which he offered to repair.

I called in AHS and after attempting to get the repair taken care of they have offered to replace the Refrigerator which is almost brand new.

I now can vouch that this service is definitely a worthwhile service.

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

• blubird
    9 years ago

Glad to hear it's working out for you. Most years I come out ahead...some years I don't. We've been very pleased with our service people as I had mentioned back in February. AHS did apparently make one change I'm less pleased about....it seems that you can no longer request a particular repair vendor. So we'll have to see how that works out. P.S. I'm in Monmouth county, too.