Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help deciding on which Bluestar Rangetop

Posted by jenmenke (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 17:08

Hi everyone.

I need some help deciding on which 36" Bluestar Rangetop to buy. I am replacing a 16 year old professional Thermador Cooktop that I am unable to get parts for anymore and one of the burners stopped working a couple years ago.

I was torn between Wolf and Bluestar and have decided to go with Bluestar. I called our local dealer intending to order a 6-burner configuration. (I have a grill in the middle of my current 4-burner Thermador and have always hated it. In fact, I removed the lava rocks and grate and set a Lodge cast iron griddle in its place that has actually worked quite well, though it takes FOREVER to heat up.)

I was told they have a 4 burner/griddle unit that they have been trying to sell on their floor. I can get that one for almost $1000 less than the 6 burner one. (I have LP and this unit was originally ordered natural gas for an LP customer. It was converted to LP but the customer wasn't happy with that solution and the dealer took it back in stock. I am told there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it comes with a full warranty.)

It seems like a great deal if I can live with the griddle. I asked for the specific model number and I have learned that, while it is only about a year old, it is discontinued. The model number is RGTNB364GSS. Does anyone know what changed from that model to the current?

Does anyone have any advice for me? The prices I was given was approx $3560 (not including tax and install) for the 6-burner and $2700 for the 4 burner/griddle.

thanks in advance. Time is of the essence!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help deciding on which Bluestar Rangetop

Hi Jen,

See if this link helps:

http://www.ajmadison.com/product/compare/?skus[]=RGTNB364GSS&skus[]=RGTNB364GV1

It actually shows they are the same on paper but I think one difference might be that the newer one (the V1) has individual spark ignition to each burner. There were a bunch more updates to the V1 but I think just about all of them apply to the range (i.e. the ovens) and not the rangetop.

Burners should be the same.

-Stooxie

o

thanks Stooxie. And I believe you are right. The AJ Madison site makes them look the same on paper, but the short description says "single ignition" for the new one. I also found another thread here that indicated there is something different about the grates and the drip trays I think.

Just not sure what to do.

o

Jenmenke: if it was me, I would go for the v1...I have a pre v1 range and absolutely love it, but the v1 does have some improvements. Also, who knows for sure the real story why the range is back in the store. Personally I am not a foor model lover.

o

Thanks tyguy. I'm kind of leaning that way, but i'm just wanting to be smart. I did hear back from Bluestar who said the only real difference is the ignition system. He said the drip trays have a "slightly different design" but that the grates are identical.

I think I should go look at the one with the griddle -- does anyone know if that griddle has a cover? Or are you looking at the actual griddle all the time?

As for why it was returned, yeah... that's always an issue. The bummer is that I can't actually test the unit out because it is LP. I can go look at it though. So maybe the dealer would consider some type of "no risk guarantee" that it would allow me to return it if it didn't operate as it should. I know he is anxious to sell it... I'm so torn!

o

Is $3500 pretty standard for a new Bluestar Rangetop? I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure and wondered if the quote jenmenke got is reasonable. Thanks!

o

Hello,
I thought I responded the other day, but I must not have hit enter!
Anyway, my husband and I are also in the process of purchasing a 6 burner 36" BS rangetop and your thread has answered our "V1" question, so thank you.
We were quoted $3100 for the range and $200+ for the "island trim" which is the strip of metal that goes between the rangetop and the back wall (even though we don't have an island). I find it ludicrous that they charge so much for the metal strip, but oh well.
That makes it about $3300 for all, before tax.
Hope this helps-
Enjoy your new rangetop!! Ours won't be in place until May (just signed with contractor and cabinets are 8 weeks out)

o

>I think I should go look at the one with the griddle -- does anyone know if that griddle has a cover? Or are you looking at the actual griddle all the time?

Not 100% sure about a rangetop but My rnb range came with stainless covers for both the grill and th griddle.

o

thanks for the info on your pricing labbie. I wonder if I can use that with my dealer to knock them down a couple hundred...

tyguy: you are correct. I heard back directly from Bluestar and the griddle does include a cover.

I continue to be torn, but I'm leaning toward 6 burner config. I hope to go see them tomorrow.

o

find it ludicrous that they charge so much for the metal strip, but oh well.

I had an extra 48" island trim due to a mix up and I can say that it is more than a "metal strip." It's pretty heavy, well constructed stainless steel and must take a decent amount of time to make, i.e. not just stamped out a mile a minute.

Just saying... no offense but the only price people don't seem to have a problem with any more is "free."

-Stooxie

o

Hey stooxie: still have that extra island trim?

o

Hi tyguy,

I do not. The BS folks were kind enough to trade it for something I could use. It was a win/win.

-Stooxie

o

Stooxie: ok, well glad to hear you got rid of it for something useful.

o

Dunno. Chose the 6 burner (range) myself, but you have your own preferences and it's your money.

On the one hand, 1,000 bucks is real money for most folks. On the other hand, how often do you do this, and how does this figure in the total cost of whatever you're doing to the kitchen, labor included? In the end, I decided (with the wife's blessing) that not getting the range I really wanted would be "pound foolish." We made the right decision, for us, but that was our decision, and we were not up against any hard and fast budget constraints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here