Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who installed your modernaire, gagg, Miele

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:05

I am trying to figure out which appliances need professional installers and which ones can be handled my electrician, GC, plumber etc.

Modernaire hood - just the hood between cabinets. Ducting and the external vent already done. Do I need to pay $400 to the modernaire rep recommended installers?

FPdishdrawer
Miele dishwasher (paneled)
Miele refrigerator (paneled)
SZ freezer drawers (paneled)
GE warming drawer (paneled)
Gagg steam combi oven
Gagg convection oven
Gagg induction
Gagg woktop

One appliance place recommended by the local gagg distributor wants $1800 to install the whole lot. This is in northern California San Jose area. Does this sound right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who installed your modernaire, gagg, Miele

Watch whoever installs the FP dishdrawer. I've had bad luck and had to reinstall too many.

Guy who delivered it--bad install and I had to redo it. GC after we remodeled and kept the newish DD--bad install but the cabinetmaker fixed it when he put the panels on. Real Plumber who was replacing the pipes--bad install, banged it so hard he ended up paying me for cabinet damage and a new circuit board. 18 year old kid sent by FP to replace the board and used his iPhone for a level? He was good.

That DD went through alot.

When we moved and got a new DD, I just passed on having it installed and put it in myself to skip the middle step of having someone who wouldn't read instructions install it.

Some of those appliances are persnickety (DDs are not, although lining up panels can be.) and I'd be tempted to go with whatever install provides the better warranty. The hood though? I'd let the GC do it.

Wait a minute...my GC screwed that up too. He refused to read the instructions...

o

GC installed miele paneled dw and gagg combi. He is also a licensed plumber and his electrician helped. Fortunately I didn't have to pay by the hour, as he read everything here and is super picky! I would pay for the factory trained installers in the future since they "normally" offer some how-to's if they are familiar with the product.

Good luck....you've got some nice things to have fun with!

o

GC installed the Modernaire hood, duct work and external vent; certified Miele tech installed the DW. BTW, the Miele tech ended up damaging the custom panel upon install! (Of course, his insurance paid for the replacement panel.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here