Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam Combi Ovens

Posted by samana (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 16:56

Hello. We're trying to decide on appliances. Originally I was interested in a double wall oven because we now have the space, but I don't think we'll use both all that often. We loved the Jenn-Air double oven range we used to have, the small oven was so useful. When looking for an alternative, I came across a steam combi (convection) oven. They sound great. I don't really like to microwave things and I would love to be able to quickly steam all our vegetables and consistently have moist fish. It sounds like the combi ones are very useful because they can function as a regular oven. I'm not even sure of all the brands available. Does anyone have one of these? Are they worth the cost? Does the convection part work? Are some brands better than others? Finally, are they usable for reheating leftovers? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam Combi Ovens

There have been lots of threads about steam ovens from owners.

Here's a general search

They are great for reheating room or fridge temperature items (I find it typically takes about 15 minutes -- longer than a microwave but gives better results). Plllog discussed the Gagg's reheating (they call it 'regeneration') here last year. More recently, I discussed my reheating experiences here. Also see this disucssion.

We've only had ours for 2 months but it's the most used oven in our kitchen (out of 4, counting the microwave). We no longer reheat in the microwave at all. As others have found, we use ours far more often that we suspected (having it plumbed in is very nice, I don't know if we'd use it so much if we had to fill a reservoir). We often wish both our wall ovens were steam ovens and find that we'll often use it to do things we used to use the stove for. We have a 6-burner stove, but knowing what we do now, we might have gone for a 4-burner plus griddle or grill given the offloading of tasks to the steam oven.

o
RE: Steam Combi Ovens

Other than verifying that mine (old model Gaggenau demo unit) works by firing it up on my shop work bench and steaming some veggies, I haven't got to use it yet.

My understanding of what is on the U.S. market (all 24", but wider trim model is available on at least some models, with identical chamber size):

Gaggenau: steam, convection, or both over a wide range of temperatures. Plumbed into water source and drain. Can select level of moisture at convection temperatures. Door opens to the side (right and left handed models, cannot be swapped). Temperature probe.

Thermador (same company): Similar features, but I don't think that a plumbed version is available. IIRC, the moisture level at higher temps is just ON or OFF. Door opens downward.

Miele: As far as I know, the U.S. models are just steam ovens, so this can't function as a higher temperature convection or combi oven; I think they have combi models in Europe, one of which is supposed to come to the U.S. Water tank, not plumbed. Door opens downward.

Wolf: Seems full function like Gaggenau, including temperature probe, but not plumbed (water tank). Door opens downward.

If you just want a small oven that can steam, and is also an oven, and is also a microwave, Sharp makes their Supersteam products that sell for maybe $600 on Amazon.

Maybe someone else will jump in here and correct any errors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here