Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Upright freezer in garage vs. downstairs

elba1
11 years ago

Hi folks, I would like to purchase an upright freezer, around 16cu.ft. We could put it in the garage, but I think I read somewhere that it uses much more electricity there, especially in the summer, since the temperature is not as well controlled - is that true? We could also put it in our finished downstairs, but we would need to have electrical work done & an outlet put in the spot where it would go. Also, it would be within feet of my husband's desk, and I have heard they are noisy. Which do you think is best? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Usually, the operators manual will show the ambient temperature range that is recommended for a freezer.

I know there is such a recommendation for my Jenn-air Fridge.
    I think the high temp end for the ambient is in the 86F range.
    In the summer, even thou we have AC, 86F is not that uncomfortable to us, but I do notice the Fridge "Struggles" a bit more to stay at 37F, than when the temp is lower that 86, Hence it uses more electricity.

Sooo something thing to think about and do check your owner's manual or look it up on-line.

Sorry I can not "Specifically" address the "Freezer issue" as I only have the Combo Fridge/freezer, but I would suspect similar "Issues" from your freezer.

Gary

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Some upright freezers are very noisy and some are pretty quiet. If you get one of the less expensive ones, it may be very efficient but very annoyingly noisy. I know, because I've got a Frigidaire FFU14 in my basement about 20 feet from my home office. A garage definitely would be preferable if my garage had the electrical capacity and were insulated.

Whether a freezer in the garage "uses much more electricity" is not a simple question to answer. How hot does your garage get in the summertime? And for how long? If the temp were 100F continuously for months --- maybe you live in Phoenix, say --- and you opened the freezer frequently, you could be using more electricity.

OTOH, if you live in, say, Minnesota, where it can get hot for months in the summer and very cold for months in the winter, you could have a different problem. Most freezers do not work well -- or at all -- in very cold spaces, and many models come with cautions about placing them in spaces that get below 32F.

I realize that this is very general information, but others might be able to give you more specifics if you could give us more details about temps and climate and the garage. When Gary says to read the manual for the models you are looking at -- that is the best place to start researching this questions.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 22:13

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I am in the northeast. I've never measure the garage temps, but outdoors here, July & Aug ave. upper 70's to 80's temps - with occ. hot days in the 90's. Winter generally in the 30's, sometimes 40's or 20's, occ. really cold days in the teens or single digits. I just went into the garage - we do have a thermometer there - it is 48 degrees in the garage & 33 degrees outdoors. I haven't purchased a freezer yet, so I don't have an owner's manual, but the 3 appliance stores I visited all had a Frigidaire around 16 cu ft for a little over $500, different model numbers. Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific basic upright freezer? I don't need any "bells & whistles" just looking for some basic extra freezer space. You know what I would really like, but I have never heard of this - is something opposite of a typical frig/freezer combo - a unit that is mostly freezer, with a little extra fridg space. Does something like that exist?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

We used to live just outside Boston, and kept our upright freezer in the garage which was attached to the house. It worked fine there for about 8 years when we moved to the Southwest. It is in the laundry room here and continues to work well. It is a little noisy, like an older fridge, but not unbearable.

Our freezer is an 18 cu ft upright, but it is a commercial model I found from a local ad so that isn't a useful recommendation for you. We keep it pretty full just about all the time which helps it to run efficiently.

Hope that helps,
    Cheryl

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. As far as a specfic model, one I was considering is Frigidaire 16.7 cu ft upright freezer model FFU17F5HW. Anyone have experience with it?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner