Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bosch DWs: normal versus auto load settings, rinse aid amount?

Posted by Derek87 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:41

i'm new to the world of Bosch and we'll be taking delivery on our Bosch 800 plus tomorrow (the lowest model 7ER). i see that it has two "regular" cleaning cycles: one labeled normal, the other labeled auto.

can any experienced users comment on using one versus the other. i know in principle what they mean, but is there any disadvantage to just using "auto"?

different topic: what's a good setting for the rinse aid if one is already using something like Powerballs which include a rinse aid, and their water is softened or soft? (we'll be using the water softener)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bosch DWs: normal versus auto load settings, rinse aid amount

I have the 500 series, but I don't think it functions any differently than the 800. I generally leave mine on Auto. I think if you read the manual it'll probably suggest the Auto setting for most washes and just let the machine do its job. Sometimes I'll override it for a quick wash.

For rinse aid, I leave it on 1. I started with 3 and then lowered it with successive washes. It has always dried well and my glasses come out clear, even at 1 so I leave it there.

o

I also have the 500...I often use the "auto plus" as I find it does a better job than the "normal" or "auto" setting. I think the regular auto and normal settings are a little too frugal with the water. Also auto plus sanatizes which I like.

o

thanks for the tips, jscout and tyguy! (not sure if the 800 plus has "auto plus" but i'll play around with the different options)

o

Also, check you user guide on how to set the water temp higher. If your model has it, setting the temp higher will help it in the drying process.

o

With soft water, your Bosch will respond like any other machine.....by which I mean lowest rinse-aid setting and minimal detergent will be all required. I strongly suspect any paks or tablets you're intending to use will be 3-4x overdose. I have soft water and use scant teaspoon of Cascade Complete powder pre-wash and level teaspoon in main wash for consistently excellent results on no etching. With tab/pak pre-meaured dosage, I would expect rapid etching with soft water.

o

asolo: thanks for the warning. i didn't think about that. i'm wondering how much a pain it will be break those Finish Powerball tabs in half...but i'll definitely be considering this. we don't have expensive glassware, but i don't want to mess up even our cheap stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here