Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackie68_gw

30" Capital Culinarian Manual MCOR304?

blackie68
10 years ago

Does anyone know what the new changes are on the 30" Capital Culinarian Manual. (New model # MCOR304N). I heard they change/ replace the center cast iron grate to a stainless steel plate or something like that? Can't find a picture on capital web site showing new model, any one have a picture of it or info?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• rayjuncajun
    10 years ago

Go to the listed link, and click on info & guides. It will bring up the pdf for info on this model. Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: info form model

• blackie68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ rayjuncajun, the link Is showing Capital Precision Series MCR304N which is sealed burner. Did capital do away with the open burner on the 30" manual clean Culinarian?
    Looks like the back trim is gone too.

• chrls_socal
    10 years ago

I am new this this forum. Not sure if I am doing this right.
    posting a picture of the MCOR304N - Culinarian manual clean.
    Alex from Absolute Appliances in Los Angeles sent me this picture last week.

• blackie68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris thanks for the picture. I see they did few changes to the model. I wonder how high the center grate is. Looks like the igniter is cast into the burner cap?

• chrls_socal
    10 years ago

Actually, they did away with the cast iron center grate. The center is now stainless steel--raised to the same height as the burners grates. The igniter is mounted to the cap, not cast into.

I went to Absolute Appliances and saw it live, cranked it up to feel the heat. The picture is the base model. with vertical vent, no back trim. you can still order 6" or shelf back trim as before.

I called Capital for more information. They said it comes with 3x23KBTU burners and one 8000 BTU simmer burner. Capital said you can order it with upgrade to all 4x23,000 BTU burners

This post was edited by chrls_socal on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 18:05

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    10 years ago

this is a close up of the new style of burner / ignition. This makes the burner much more precise so far as the location of the ceramic ignitor and the first set of holes

• DJBro
    9 years ago

I was close to choosing to buy the 30" manual clean Culinarian based on seeing the former model (CGMR) with all cast iron grates. Stainless steel between burners seems like a downgrade. I got the same picture from a distributor that Chris_socal posted above, so I am afraid that the new model indeed has substituted stainless steel for cast iron in the middle of the top of the range. Looks unattractive to me and I imagine scratching it with pots. Given some persons' reports of the big burners being less than perfect for simmering in small pots, the small pot or simmer burner seems like an improvement. Question to those who know the Culinarian best (like Trevor Lawson), what if anything is improved in the MCOR model and what is not as good as the CGMR model?

• pumpkinhouse
    9 years ago

My appliance guy says the MCOR has a lower back guard and the glass cover over the broiler goes away.

• DJBro
    9 years ago

Yes, per the company, to get the newest MCOR model with the center cast iron grate:
    "Yes, please make sure when purchasing a unit the serial number ends in a letter âÂÂCâÂÂ. The units with the stainless steel in the middle will have a serial number that end in a âÂÂBâÂÂ."

Is anyone who is knowledgeable willing to share an opinion whether the new manual clean model is on balance better or worse than the old CGMR model (which seems to be for sale some places)? Or even whether the simmer burner is a good thing or not (since one can still order with 4 uniform burners if one does not want the simmer or small pot burner)? Is the simmer burner a 23K burner with fewer holes, or is it an 8K burner? Does having a smaller burner make calibrating burners and keeping them calibrated a problem?

Did Capital change anything else when they added back the middle cast iron grate? A spec sheet from October 2013 shows 25K burners not 23K???

FYI for anyone else out there who is shopping for a range, I have been told that the other differences between the old CGMR 304 and the MCOR 304 with the stainless steel strip in the middle are:

MCOR can be installed with vertical gas supply coming out of floor; MCOR has about 33% larger oven capacity and fits a commercial size cookie sheet at the cost of removal of the glass cover from the broiler (so the broiler element gets dirtier, is harder to clean); MCOR has the one 8K small pot or simmer burner; MCOR oven door construction is all stainless steel and glass with flat glass panel instead of porcelain and glass with a 1.5 inch porcelain window pack; the bake (bottom?) oven burner is flush in the MCOR instead of having 1.5 inch high oven bottom cover; flush wire mesh broiler element instead of flush wire mesh under glass; no gas shut off valve on the MCOR; no rear casters on the MCOR; 2 instead of 3 oven racks on the MCOR; MCOR has flush island trim with vertical venting instead of 3 inch island trim with front venting. I think that's all of them.

• Claire134
    9 years ago

We got our 30-inch manual clean Culinarian a couple weeks ago and love it. It boils pasta water in no time and the broiler seems to work beautifully. We haven't played with the simmer burner yet but I was able to boil water very quickly using it on medium high heat. We did not know we had to request the cast iron center grates but were relieved when the stove arrived with them instead of the stainless piece. Also, little known fact.....we were able to order it in a custom RAL color (moss green) for an extra approx. $250. Yes, you read that right, you can order it in any of the hundreds of RAL colors. One downside: this thing took 17 weeks to arrive, considerably longer than the estimated 8-10 weeks.

• wokcooker
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,

I'm considering Capital Culinarian MCOR304N model and wondering if anyone here has any feedback on how the range is working out for you?

Thanks.

• nycmom
    8 years ago

wokcooker, did you select a range yet? We have had the Culinarian 30-inch for 15 months now and we love it. The gas oven is very accurate. The open burners don't really get dirty, and the high BTUs are awesome. We are so glad this model came with the center cast iron grate. The oven can comfortably fit two cookie sheets side by side. Really no complaints. Downside: Living in an apartment, we can't vent to the outside so our plan B is a hood that vents in the direction of our kitchen window. It's not perfect but it's so much better than what we had before, which was nothing. This oven takes a lot longer to come to temperature than our previous Hotpoint. Also, cleaning the grates is bit of a project because the pieces are heavy. Right now there's a lot of grime on the ignitor switches and we are afraid to damage them so we leave them alone. So we've gotten used to the burners and grates not being pristine all the time. Still, we are very happy with it and would choose it again.

• wokcooker
    8 years ago

Hello nycmom:

Thank you so much for responding/replying to me queries.

Yes, I've made my selection, MCOR304N, 30" natural gas manual model of the Capital Culinarian series. However, I've not made any commitment yet.

I'm not sure if you've a MCOR304N model or something else? Can you help me confirm the model that you've bought/used for the past 15 months? Thanks.

I've also several questions for you in addition. Hopefully, you can help me out here.

1. What is your comments of the broiler? Since it does not have a glass cover, does it get oily after baking/roasting?

2. Venting holes, do you find stuffs falling into these vents?

Thank you so much and looking forward to hear back from you. Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Wokcooker

• Kaled Awad
    3 years ago

My dream stove., i wish that can afford the MCOR304N., let alone put another splash of color fir $250+

• nycmom
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We've had our Culinarian since 2014. The stovetop is fantastic; the oven has been quirky. The thermostat is about 40 degrees off and we've learned to set the dial 40 degrees higher than we want, and it works. The broiler, which is amazing when it's on, doesn't kick on until the oven itself has heated up for 20 minutes or so, i.e. nothing happens if you simply turn the broiler on in a cold oven. The red oven light button popped off, hit the ground and broke in two. These are probably repair jobs but we haven't bothered. @wokcooker I didn't realize you asked me questions four years ago. Just seeing them now, sorry!