Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermador - help please (clicking sound)

Posted by backfromtokyo (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 16:14

GW has been such a great resource...a complete lifesaver. This is my first post and I am down to the final decisions on my appliane choices.

I have a question about Thermador. I was going to buy the GE Monogram 36" gas range (6 burner ) but I want to take advantage of their rebates and would need to get either their hood insert or dishwasher...neither of which seem to get very good reviews.

So I am now considering Thermador as my second choice. The one thing that has me staying away from Thermador is the clicking sound on the low simmer.. My appliance guy said that has been fixed but I am not so sure I believe him. Has anyone recently purchased a Thermador and can they let me know if this problem has been fixed at all.

Thx so much in advance.
Melinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermador - help please (clicking sound)

I was at a showroom Saturday and this is what I was told about the simmer setting on the Thermador ... there are multiple adjustments to the simmer setting. The highest simmer does not tick. As you adjust the simmer down, that's when the ticking comes into play. The setting of the simmer determines how often the burner shuts itself off and then turns itself on again, which causes it to tick, tick, tick as it re-lights. There are a number of seconds between each re-lighting, and depending on which simmer hash-mark you have the burner set to, the time between the tickings will be more or less. The reasoning, according to the rep, is to prevent scorching, even if left unattended for a long time. So, if you don't want it to tick, set the burner to the highest simmer. If you don't care if it ticks, you can adjust it lower and lower yet.

o

Hahaha! All I hear is Henry Cho, with his southern twang, saying "What's that clickin' noise?"

I'm sorry I can't help, but I thank you for a giggle :)

o

I've been a servicer for Thermador for some time and the extra low simmer turns the flame off and on based on a 60 second cycle. At the lowest setting the flame is on for about 7 seconds and then shuts off for 53 seconds. you will hear about 2 light clicks as the burner relights. At the highest extra low setting the flame is on about 53 seconds and off for 7 seconds. All the settings in between work are timed somewhere between what I mentioned.
Thermador has used this system for around 20 years and the latest version of it has been in use about 6-7 years. It's pretty bulletproof any more.

My customers rave about it's abilities with cheese sauces and chocolate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here