Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backfromtokyo

Thermador - help please (clicking sound)

backfromtokyo
11 years ago

GW has been such a great resource...a complete lifesaver. This is my first post and I am down to the final decisions on my appliane choices.

I have a question about Thermador. I was going to buy the GE Monogram 36" gas range (6 burner ) but I want to take advantage of their rebates and would need to get either their hood insert or dishwasher...neither of which seem to get very good reviews.

So I am now considering Thermador as my second choice. The one thing that has me staying away from Thermador is the clicking sound on the low simmer.. My appliance guy said that has been fixed but I am not so sure I believe him. Has anyone recently purchased a Thermador and can they let me know if this problem has been fixed at all.

Thx so much in advance.
Melinda

Comments (8)

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

I was at a showroom Saturday and this is what I was told about the simmer setting on the Thermador ... there are multiple adjustments to the simmer setting. The highest simmer does not tick. As you adjust the simmer down, that's when the ticking comes into play. The setting of the simmer determines how often the burner shuts itself off and then turns itself on again, which causes it to tick, tick, tick as it re-lights. There are a number of seconds between each re-lighting, and depending on which simmer hash-mark you have the burner set to, the time between the tickings will be more or less. The reasoning, according to the rep, is to prevent scorching, even if left unattended for a long time. So, if you don't want it to tick, set the burner to the highest simmer. If you don't care if it ticks, you can adjust it lower and lower yet.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

I've been a servicer for Thermador for some time and the extra low simmer turns the flame off and on based on a 60 second cycle. At the lowest setting the flame is on for about 7 seconds and then shuts off for 53 seconds. you will hear about 2 light clicks as the burner relights. At the highest extra low setting the flame is on about 53 seconds and off for 7 seconds. All the settings in between work are timed somewhere between what I mentioned.
    Thermador has used this system for around 20 years and the latest version of it has been in use about 6-7 years. It's pretty bulletproof any more.

My customers rave about it's abilities with cheese sauces and chocolate.

• Dalia Chavez
    3 years ago

So the clicking sound occurs when it’s off as well?

We just installed our 48 inch Thermador range and we have been hearing the blocking sounds. So it sounds like it’s normal?

• Dalia Chavez
    3 years ago

Clicking not blocking auto correct

• cheribmc
    3 years ago

Thermador gas cook top won’t stop intermittently clicking. Middle of the night, middle of the day, it will just start clicking, while NOT IN USE. It won’t stop til I turn on the burner and then turn off. Often it continues doing this for hours.

• Tamela McNeely
    2 years ago

This is the same problem I am having. Is there an adjustment I can do or do I need to call a repairman?

• lisamay12
    2 years ago

Our 48” Thermador range won’t stop clicking too!! Please help! We restart the circuit breaker and it will stop for about 30 mins and then it will continue to click non-stop! We called Thermador and the service professional isn’t available until 3/24 (which is a few weeks from now). Any suggestions would help!!!