Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are appliances from Lowes, Best Buy inferior?

Posted by mcfromct (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 16:14

If I see the identical appliance with the same exact item # from different stores, can I assume they are made the same? If I buy it at Lowes or Best Buy vs an appliance store is it somehow inferior on the inside? The price can sometimes be hundreds of dollars less...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are appliances from Lowes, Best Buy inferior?

Same thing. Better sales. :) Sears, too.

o

The price you see on the stickers at an appliance store are not necessarily the price you will pay, but will be "discounted" at the time of sale. I've found that most stores offer a price match guarantee and will refund the difference if you find a better price within a few weeks of purchase.

o

Didn't think of that but I bet you're right jellytoast.

o

Sometimes the products sold in the "Big Box" stores are slightly de-featured from the same product you would buy in the local appliance store. A d/w rack may offer less adjustability, the control settings may not have some cycles. but the main mechanicals will be the same.

o

I usually (4 times in the last year in a replacement binge!) walk into my local appliance store knowing what appliances I am considering and price them out on AJM, Lowes Sears, and Home Depot. I really dislike that the local shop doesn't list the "price you actually pay" anywhere, but when the price quotes do come, they're competitive, and sometimes even cost less than the Boxes and Online. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I have never had to ask them to price match. I also like that I have a local salesman to fix things that don't go well. Local store botched delivery of a dryer, sent a washer the second time, and finally got it right the third time. I was going to complain and ask for a refund of the delivery fee, but a refund arrived before I was able to even complain!

Contrast that to an experience at Lowe's, where an LG refrigerator was delivered to a friend with a large dent in the door. They tried to refuse delivery, delivery guys tried to convince them that they wouldn't notice it (they would, it was awful!).

o

(If it requires installation, the guys working for the big box stores are less likely to give a rat's patootie compared to an appliance store installer.)

o

Went to a contractors appliance store today and am happy to say the prices were very competitive- most were less than big box stores. Couldn't believe it. Thank you all for your responses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here