Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Dacor Review (in bits and pieces over time)

bmorepanic
10 years ago

I bought an all gas, Dacor Distinctive 30" gas range. I chose this model partly or perhaps mostly because of its price for its features. It was installed in mid-December 2013, so this is about two months later. I still feel we did pretty well for the $, but I'm still not falling in love with it until next year.

The Dacor replaced an 5 day old NXR (refunded from the manufacturer), which replaced an 8 month old NXR (lemon, replacement by manufacturer), which replaced a 7 year old GE profile all gas slide in which was too much money to fix. The GE profile replaced a 9 month old Kitchenaid (refunded from manufacturer as its grates dripped porcelain when hot) which replaced a fairly horrible 4 year old kenmore (wasn't dead, a neighbor took it - it lasted another 8 months an then died on them) which replaced the generic gas range that came with the house which died within the first 30 days of our ownership. Ranges in this house have not fared well. All sealed burner and mostly self-cleaning which I ran faithfully every 6 months or so.

It's not like I beat them up or anything. I use the oven multiple times per week for cooking and a couple of times per week for warming. I am a decent home cook who cooks often but mostly in low volumes. I have aspirations of grandeur which I occasionally achieve. Cooking is fun and I'll try most things except for feelers, tentacles or heads!

Before living in this house, a.k.a. the range killer, we, or I at times, rented different places for years and years - using a motley collection of ranges from the 20s, 30s, 40s and a couple of ones from the 70s. All open burner, pilot lights except for an electric jenn air with grill which shall never be forgiven. None of them died from my cooking.

Erruppp (sound of brakes being applied). Sorry, internal gps failure, back to the Dacor. There will be NXR comparisons because everything is always seen in light of the last villain. I like the Dacor better than a working NXR and either one is a ton better than the old GE profile.

I like the Dacor burners (with a couple of footnotes). The flame wraps the burner cap providing very even heat across the bottom of pans with very little waste heat filling the kitchen. The same size pan can heat to a higher temperature without the flame wrapping the sides of the pan than on say the NXR burners.

The burners are not all the same - small defect of character. It has 2-15k front and back burners, 1-10k back burner and 1-18k dual ring front burner. In order of frequency of use - front 15k burner, 10k burner, 18k burner and the second 15k.

The 15k burners are perfect for searing or boiling. Even though they have a setting for simmer, it's more a low boil. NXR wins here as all of the burners can simmer. Using heavier cookware produces more boiling. I'm going to get a true simmer plate/heat diffuser to see if they can be tamed. Probably the one from trevor lawson. The diameters of the 15k burners allow even an 8" egg pan to work well cooking a lowly vegiburger.

The 10k has a lot of uses from my small italian coffee pot (4" diameter) up to full bore for a large bottom tea kettle. It is capable of simmering a large pot but is most often used to heat soup or cook eggs.

So far, the best use I've discovered for the two ring 18k simmer-sear burner is flat bottomed wok cooking. It can also simmer even small quantities, or work for larger quantities of high heat - boiling big pots or searing in 12"
diameter pans. The center ring is about 6k and the outer ring is about 12k max. It's defect is the lack of control of output of both rings at the same time.

The outer ring turns down completely and then the inner ring turns down. It's kind of a pita because the burner doesn't really have "low" across the entire pan. "Low" exists at the outer edges, but the center is still going full out. This same problem (inner ring puts out a fair amount of heat in a small area) is what makes a flat bottomed wok the bomb!

I wish they would go back to defendi and get the triple ring burner or at least use a dual burner control so the inner ring and outer ring could be increased or decreased at the same time or separately.

Every pan I've used on it works and is stable. The grids are not too heavy and fairly smooth. The pan immediately underneath the grids is black porcelain. I had expected the black color to show every spec of dust, but its not bad. Possibly that's because its not flat. It has some angles to create some extra depth.

Big boil overs have happened and are easy to wipe off when the range has cooled. I haven't had one reach that insurance area yet and believe me, its not for lack of trying.

So far, both the grids and the porcelain pan are really easy to clean using just sponge and water, sometimes spiffy up with some type of cleaner and a miracle cloth.

Overall, its easier to keep the top clean than the NXR was simply because it has less edges and the top goes across the entire top in one piece.

The grids don't chew up the bottoms of the pots either. The ignitors may need less attention over the life of the unit because they are shielded from spills.

The other cheezy defect is the actual burner heads are uncoated aluminum. This means hand wash only if you want them to keep shiney. I wash them off about once a week and take them out only if I see junk stuck on. Because the visually exposed parts are shiney, I only wash off what comes off easily. I have faith that the rest will burn off with time.

Picture is one of the 15k burners with an oxo tea kettle. It's about 10 inches across the bottom and the burner isn't all the way up. You can see the flame bend straight up and in towards the center a bit. This is really different from sealed burners from US manufacturers which primarily shoot the flame out to the side.

Comments (11)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting info about the Dacor. Please keep reporting back as you learn more.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

With your history have you thought of an exorcism?

Appreciate the review. I've had a Dacor cook top and double wall overs for 7 years and we're very happy with them.

• wekick
    10 years ago

"This is really different from sealed burners from US manufacturers which primarily shoot the flame out to the side.
    It just seems to be the way they are engineered. My range(Wolf) and my sisters(Kenmore) are both that way but her daughters flare a lot more.

I had a Dacor DF range that had temperature issues. The only way you could trigger the element to come on if the temp started dropping was to open the door and get a difference of 150F degrees between the oven and the set temperature.

In my multitudinous experiences with Dacor service they never once turned on the oven in either an attempt to diagnose or to see if what they did fixed the problem. They would come and call Dacor tell them the problem and they would send out a new computer board or oven or part. I received an email from them a few years ago that they have streamlined their service to one call. I don't know if they still do this but you call and talk to someone on the phone and they diagnose the problem and send the parts and a tech to your home. I guess they cut out the middle man. The normal temp swing should be 25 degrees on either side of the set temperature.
    Great review on your range. I linked to it on another thread. Your cake sounds delicious.

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I thought I'd live with it until next month. Too much cold and snow to have service people moving appointments every time it snows. And, at least the oven turns on every time.

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did buy the "Cast Iron Heat Diffuser by Ilsa" from Eurostoves through Amazon. I'm just going to use "simmer plate". I had some trepidation in choosing one, but I got the 8 inch-ish version. It comes with a little detachable lifter.

I used to use the Max Burton 8" Induction plate on the NXR and the GE Profile. Its just a flat, sandwich of steel with a handle and that worked ok to redistribute the heat from the small diameter simmer burner over the entire bottom of a pan.

It didn't work so well on this range. I didn't need to even out the heat distribution as much as tame the too high simmer. Things still boiled.

The Ilsa simmer plate is brilliant. Coming out of the box, I was looking at the big center hole thinking "This'll never work" but it really does. It's porcelain on the outside,not heavy to lift but very sturdy.

Since I've only got a 30" range, the detachable handle means there is one less thing in my way. It has an ring underneath that lifts the plate above the grates and then the surface has little raised ridges that lift the pot above the simmer plate.

Plopped it on the 15k burner, preheated the plate a little bit cause that's what I normally do, set burner on simmer, pot of water on top, walked away - not that I am recommending you ever leave your range unattended while running (*cough*, cough - cough).

The naked burner would have resulted in an even low boil. but wearing the new simmer plate outfit, even after an hour, the bottom of the pot is still just covered in tiny bubbles with one or two occasionally letting go and rising to the surface. I reheated cream of crab soup (hey, its Maryland and we're crabby) without a care.

Happy Camper :)

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope this is an example of Dacor service for everyone. A burner started whistling but only on simmer, which I thought was kinda odd. It a real odd noise - kinda of like a harmonic like when a person both whistles and hums at the same time.

I called up Dacor and after a few questions they agreed to dispatch a repair tech after forwarding some parts. The repair tech called me up the next day to verify that they had received the order and would call back to confirm an appointment once they had the parts in hand.

They called up a little over a week later and we scheduled a time. The tech came, took a look and determined that it wasn't due to the parts Dacor sent. He said he would call Dacor back and have new burner heads and we'd see what happened. That if new burners didn't fix it, he'd be back.

Whole thing took a bit over two weeks because of snow.

• alizarge
    9 years ago

Fantastic review. I just looked at a 30 inch Dacor Renaissance (ER30G), but it seems like the Distinctive model (DR30G) is just as good and costs significantly less.

Still happy? Any new news on this stove?

Thanks so much for your wonderfully detailed review.

• strikeraj
    9 years ago

@bmorepanic

Thanks for the great review.
    How are you liking your stove after a year of use?
    Did the problem get fixed promptly last time?

• mkemom
    9 years ago

I moved into a house ten years ago with a 48" Dacor duel fuel range... I don't know exactly what model, and think it is probably 13 years old now. On the pro side, until the oven thermostat crapped out on Thanksgiving (of course), I've used it every day of those 13 years and never had a major problem that required calling in service. However...
    The oven heats far less evenly than the cheap-o gas ranges that I previously lived with. Cookies and muffins will always burn in the back before they are done in the front. (The range has two ovens, both share this problem.) This experience had more or less turned me off of convection ovens till I read another post here from someone who had the same problem with their Dacor, but better luck with a different brand.
    The hinges failed on both oven doors - they were worn out when we moved in, and the range was probably 3 years old at that time. My husband was able to replace them himself (the power of youtube) or this would have been a service call, I suppose.
    The touch pad for setting the oven temp or timers is ridiculously insensitive, until suddenly it is hyper-sensitive.
    The burners have never lit properly. For four of them, I have an igniter on hand to light them with. I have cleaned them. My husband maintains that this is because all the igniters are on the same electrical circuit, so the current flows to the easiest path, which is the burners that we use the most often - so the less frequently used ones won't light.
    There is no simmer burner, and the lowest simmer is just not that low. But neither is the high all that high.
    I do really like the configuration of the range - it's the only 48" I've seen with six big burners (I've replaced two grates with a nice big griddle) instead of 8 smaller ones. But even so, I'm shopping for new ranges now and Dacor is definitely not on the list. It has just never been a joy to use and at that price point... you ought to like it.

• mkemom
    9 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to mention in the previous post... if I have more than three burners going at once, the igniters for all the burners click continuously until I turn one down or off.