Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some clarification on electircal oven/microwave install

Posted by devslashnull (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:52

Hey All,

I'm planning on buying a 30" MMW9730A Maytag oven microwave combo. The install instructions seem generic about the amperage and wiring stating it's a 240vac 5520w at 30.5amps. Currently I have a 3 wire (with a 4th ground) 10g wire going to 2 phase 30amp breakers. If my math is correct 5520w shouldn't be pulling more than 24amps which would fall in the %80 range. So why do they state it's pulling 30.5 amps? I've currently have the walls out and wondering if I need to spend the money to get this upgraded to 8g/40amp breakers or will the current wiring work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some clarification on electircal oven/microwave install

It appears from the installation instructions that the MW/oven without the convection feature can use a 30 amp circuit, and the one with the MW/Convection oven needs a 40 amp circuit. It would never go amiss to go ahead and install the larger wire while the walls were open in either case. (Just use the appropriate sized breaker required by the oven.) In 10 years time, you may want to replace this model with something that has a new whizzbang feature that needs more electricity.

o
RE: Need some clarification on electircal oven/microwave install

I don't know if the version without the convection would matter it's only a 30w difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here