Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flynnnj

Chicken Nuggets, Pancakes or Cornish Hens?

flynnnj
12 years ago

I think I've narrowed my stove choice down to the 30" GAS Frigidaire Professional FPGS3085KF or GE Cafe CGS985SETSS. There are some difference but both have the warming/storage drawer and convection cooking which I need.

After lots of positive recommendations I looked at the NXR but but no bottom drawer for storage. It's a small kitchen, no space for a pot rack, and that bottom drawer helps.

The Bertazzoni Master A304GGVXSX has the storage drawer but the actual oven seems small. It's hard to imagine a Thanksgiving turkey and all the trimmings fitting into it. I guess I'd have to serve Cornish games hens instead. Plus, at $2949, it uses up so much of my appliance budget. Does anyone remember the awesome promo when the hood was included. That would be such a big cost saver. Oh, well. That was then, so no use looking back.

And yes, I totally agree that a chicken nugget button is really silly but the Frigidaire Professional has other great features like the split racks, continuous grates, and best of all the smudge-proof stainless steel finish.

I also like the look of the GE Cafe... the big knobs, and the griddle - for grilled cheese and Sunday pancakes. I've read that the stainless steel scratches more than average. Does anyone have feedback for me? I also avoided the GE Cafe because of all the bad reviews for the OTR microwave. If I can hide a small microwave in an appliance garage then the GE is back in the running.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/Flynnnj/Refrigeratorwall001.jpg

I need suggestions for a hood, too. There will be a soffit above but it can be vented directly outside.

I imagine that the hood I'd need for the Frigidaire or GE would cost less than the one for the Bertazzoni because of the higher burners.

If I can figure out how to hide a small microwave in an appliance garage then I can eliminate the OTR microwave. The kitchen designer has told me that a 36" wide x18" high appliance garage may make the kitchen look too closed in. It would go under the glass front cabinets next to the frig.

I won't do the GE Cafe if I need to have an OTR microwave because everything I've read has mentioned nothing but problems and the Frigidaire FPMV189KF does have some good reviews.

So, what to do, what to do? I need all Frigidaire Professional or GE Cafe owners to let me know if you like your stove and if would you buy it again.

What type of hood do you recommend?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

The Berta's top burner is 15K. The Cafe, 20K. Not even close. Add in the tiny oven, and it wouldn't even be under consideration at all. The Frigidaire's top burner is 17K, closer, but no cigar. There's also a reason the Cafe is 1K more expensive than the Frigidaire. Frigidaire is not known for stellar build quality and is known as "builder's grade faux" for a reason. They look OK, but they're cheap on the inside---where it counts. Add in the griddle of the Cafe and why is anything else even in the running?

I LOVE my Cafe!

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

If it were me, I'd give up the drawer and get this one:

-made in USA
    -better value then the Berta
    -big oven
    -open burners
    -no chicken nugget button

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/ARROB430.html

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GreenDesigns - I am so glad to read that you're happy with your GE Cafe. Which model do you have? The model I first saw last year has been replaced by the CGS985SETSS. I'm not sure if any improvements have been made or just a reason to raise the price a little. Do you have the OTR microwave or did you get a hood?

oceangirl67 - that looks like a great stove but I know that I need the drawer for trays, pots and pans. I'll have one set of base drawers for baking, corning ware and plastic and then another set of drawers to serve as a pantry.

Any dishwashers to recommend? My last KA DW lasted for over 22 years and still looked new so I was set on the KA KUDS301XSS till I read about the problem with fires.

The Frigidaire Pro DW was suggested and the space inside looks good.

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

I have the GE Cafe dual fuel range and love it. I haven't had any problems with the SS scratching. I have four kids, two of whom use the stove with little supervision (ages 11 and almost 13) and they have done no damage, and trust me, they are not the type to treat their things with care. I don't know the model number but I got it last May. Wait, here it is C2S980SEMSS. However, I'm so jealous to note that the new model you are looking at has a tri-ring burner - NO FAIR! I would love to have that since I have to simmer on the back burner and not wild about that.

I have an OTR microwave. Not my preference, but we eventually will be redoing our kitchen. The OTR microwave we had before getting the gas range. I don't know what model it is but it is a GE Profile w/convection. At the time, it was one of the pricier models. I have not had any problems with it being over my range. WHat problems did you read about? Are the problems that the GE OTR microwaves don't work well or are the problems due to it being over the range? Mine actually hangs quite low, about two inches below the adjacent cabinets on either side - the builder used the wrong cabinet size above the range but at the time it worked b/c we just had an exhaust fan originally. In any case, we've been using both the range and the microwave for nearly a year now with no problems (no melting, no hot buttons on the microwave, etc).

If you have any other specific questions about the range or OTR, I'd be happy to answer.