Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slide-in gas range can't push back against the wall

Posted by eeecarus (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:38

Hi,

I bought a Whirlpool slide-in gas range from Lowe's and when I tried to install it the other day, I realized my gas supply valve is too high in the middle. The specification on the appliance asked the supply valve to be within 10 inches from the floor, but mine's about 15 inches above ground.
To move the gas line is very costly, the estimate I got was around 300-500 dollars. One cheap alternative I can do is remove the rear panel on range, which I believe is the "service panel". It covers about 70% of the range and it sticks out 3 inches, without it, my gas supply valve can sit comfortibly behind the range. Underneath the sheet metal, it's got a fan towards the top and some wires around it. There's also a metal tubing that looks like a gas line from supply to the stove portion of the range.
What do you guys think? Is this safe to do?
Another option I was told to do was to cut the drywall and turn the supply valve 90 degrees so it's flush with the drywall.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slide-in gas range can't push back against the wall

Sound like great ideas.
Run them past your local building inspector's office.
They have tons of real life experience to offer.

o

Hey thanks for the reply laat2, which one is a great idea? Remove the service panel? Or turn the valve 90 degrees into the drywall? Thanks.

Edit: I mis-read it. Thanks, I'll run them both by building inspectors.

This post was edited by eeecarus on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 16:55

o

Slide-in ranges aren't supposed to be flush with the back wall - there's supposed to be a strip of countertop behind the range that the lip of the range rests on as with the sides. That's what makes it a slide-in rather than free-standing.

o

Removal of the the back panel will, in my opinion, void your warranty.

To wit: Items excluded from warranty 3. Repairs when your major appliance is used for other than normal, single-family household use or when it is used in a manner that is contrary to published user or operator instructions and/or installation instructions.

o

Weiss - sorry I didn't make it clear, I'm having problem pushing the range in with the piece of granite on the back sized according to installation manual.

Doc - thanks, although I think it's impossible for them to tell I removed the panel. It's only screwed down by two screws and no warranty stickers.

o

I would not remove the panel. It may be a safety item. That is, it prevents excess heat from the back from burning down your house.

o

Your second option of cutting the drywall and running the pipe downward seems a much better option.

o

Ditto about the panel - I would worry about a fire hazard either because heat escapes or dust enters into the interior of the appliance.

o

Bad news for me, after cutting the drywall, I realized I can't just turn the el pipe 90 degrees... any suggestions?

o

Disclaimer: I'm not a plumber or gas fitter and would not DIY a gas line.

You could disconnect everything to the right of the stud, rotate the elbow so it points down, then add pipe to get the valve to the right height. The fittings and pre-cut pipe are available at stores.

Now that the line is visible, you should be able to get a better estimate on having a pro do the work.

o

It would make me nervous to see electrical lines without their outer insulation wrapping that close to a gas line.

o

Thank you guys. I hired a plumber to do the work! It made me too nervous to do this myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here