Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theimporterswife

Anybody have a vent hood with heat lamps?

Jennifer N.
10 years ago

We're currently considering Vent-A-Hood PRH18460SS along with the heat lamps (with a stainless steel back splash and shelf.)

Being that we'll have a warming draw, the primary intended use of the heat lamps will be to warm dinnerware until serving time.

Any opinions/experiences with the heat lamps within the vent hoods?

Comments (23)

• xedos
    10 years ago

My Thermador does.

I think Viking had or still has one with them.

• Jennifer N.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ xedos: do you use them often? Do you like them? Do they function like you thought they would?

They're an added accessory for the Vent-A-Hood, so I'm just trying to get opinions on whether people found them functional or a waste.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Since you're going to have a warming drawer, why not use it to warm up your dishes?

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

My parents had one. The bulbs would get grody over time. we used it as intended, to keep a plate of something warm. I would not think of heating plates since you could only do one at a time.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

we bought a house with a range and hood-- the hood has 2 empty heat lamp sockets, so i bought the bulbs since i thought they would be really nice to have-- they clearly point at the back wall- nonfunctional for us- they are made for ranges that have a (deep?)shelf which our range does not have-- the shelf would need to be pretty deep to be really functional. i would put in bulbs if they could be pivoted because i think i would like the option for a heat lamp, even with a warming drawer.
    BUT, i don't think i would want a deep shelf over my cooktop tho...

• xedos
    10 years ago

don't use them at all.

function just like I thought they would, I just don't have a need for them.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Our old hood had a warming shelf with lights (don't remember the brand). We used it constantly and really miss that feature in the new hood in the new house. I would say that I miss the shelf more than the lights, it was a very convenient place to hold things while cooking. The wire shelves folded up and out of the way when not in use.

• teachmkt
    10 years ago

used to work behind the line and had to have them: have VH with lamps. Primary uses are keeping stirfry components warm when cooking in stages, warming serving platters and then letting cooked meats set up and stay warm, finishing off defrosting and warming up cold ingredients for stirfry. In next kitchen will have both drawer and shelf with lamps. dittos on rwiegand's post above on use of shelf.
    PS: when your kitchen lights are dimmed down low, with the lights on range looks very cool, especially if there's a lot of SS.

• lee676
    10 years ago

I like them. Easy to use, you can see/touch the food and quickly gauge how hot the food is, it's much easier to reach than a low-mounted warming drawer, it heats up instantly, and yes it looks very cool and fancy-restaurant-like.

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

We have the VAH with duel heat lamps. Instead of the SS backsplash with a shelf I went with glass tile and had the tile person mount a pair of wire fold-down shelves (Viking sold those to me w/ hardware separate from the SS back). That way there's better airflow from the cooking surface to the hood (rather than a solid shelf) - and it looks nice. Have had this set up for about 8 years and use the lamps nearly every day for much the same as teachmkt as well as softening butter, warming plates etc. I have duel convection ovens and use one oven, if free, to hold larger quantities of food at temp in lieu of a drawer which we didn't have the space for. Oh, and the original set of bulbs are still going strong with no gunking.

• Synergy451
    10 years ago

The manufacturer does not ship the product with actual bulbs in place since heat lamps bulbs are very prone to filament damage in transit. The hood will come equipped with the sockets and you can purchase your desired wattage at a local lighting store or home depot

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Just bumping this thread in case anyone has another suggestion on a hood with warming lights. Thank you!

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have a vent a hood magic lung system with heat lamps and drop down shelves. Its is a great solution if you don't have room for a warming drawer. I prefer it to a warming drawer. I stack plates on the shelf and let them sit for a while under the heat lamp. They are warm by the time I get around to plating. I use them to allow meat to rest without cooking the meat. I melt butter. I find uses for them. They are really handy.

I do have one problem that I haven't been able to solve. One of the rotary switches has a thread that has stripped. I can't find anyone to service the unit. This is after 10 years of heavy use. I would really like to get it fixed so I can use both heat lamps. I can't figure out how to take it apart myself, either. I've contacted the Vent a Hood distributor, but their referrals are dead ends. Evidently this product doesn't break very often. No one repairs it.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

We purchased a kitchenaid hood with warming lights. Planning to mount a shelf with slats underneath.

• stevep2005
    9 years ago

That rotary switch should be fairly accessible (and cheap) if you are up for a DIY repair. Just be sure to cut the power to the hood. The parts places typically can provide you with the repair schematics - the link below wants you to log in first - but VAH might have the diagrams on their site or in your owners manual.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/rotary-switch-heat-lights-p-1481917.html

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Good News! I tracked down the local distributor for Vent a Hood. He was able to walk me through taking the switch off. All it took was tightening the nut. Bingo. I have my second heat lamp back in operation.

He was really sweet. He said to try his fix first. If it didn't work, he would send me replacement parts. Most any repairman would be able to fix it with the replacement part. I didn't need it because we fixed it. Yea!

I am so thrilled because I am starting a renovation and I wanted to keep the Vent a Hood. That will save me some coin that I can spend on the Blue Star or Capital rangetop.

• fadged90647
    3 years ago

I loved my Thermador hood with warming lights, back splash and fold down racks. We used it daily and found it superior to the warming drawer. It was installed in my old house 25 years ago and it still works beautifully. I want one at my new home!

• HU-174141514
    3 years ago

Thermador, yes heat lamps, use them all the time, stainless back splash, fold down wire racks, installed 43 years ago,still works great

• HU-174141514
    3 years ago

me 2, fadged90647....43 years ago

• HU-12091187
    3 years ago

We bought a house, that had one, above the cooktop We thought, thats a cute idea (as newlyweds with no kids). But now that we have it, I cannot imagine not having one. We over the years hosted Easter and Christmas dinners, it comes in SOOO clutch, for keeping veggies or stuffing, etc...warm while the turkey or ham is carved. But we use it daily for keeping dinner and even breakfast warn for late arriving husband or teenagers after practice. It even works for keeping a pizza box warm. Let just say, it is probably the most used thing in our kitchen. We will be redoing our kitchen in the next year or so, I had no idea how expensive they are but will probably get a new one as our splurge item. The one we have now, is showing its age in term of looks, but still works like a champ, it is probably 38-40 years old, based on when we were told the previous owners did a kitchen remodel. YEP my kitchen is THAT old.

• stevep2005
    3 years ago

@HU-12091187 if you take a look at the following houzz post, you will see my setup with a Vent-a-hood with heat lamps and wire fold down shelves along with part numbers & photos to help the installer, along with other folks setups. The standard setup you typically see is a solid stainless backsplash wall with a rigid shelf (not great for airflow IMHO) but some SS backsplash do have wire shelves which allow for airflow. But if you prefer a tile type backsplash, the listed parts and details may help. And I concur, we use the headlamps daily, from food, to prep, to plate warming, to, yes, pizza boxes. Wouldn't be without them. Cheers. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3595018/same-old-question-blue-star-or-wolf-from-real-owners-please-reply

• HU-12091187
    3 years ago

Yep we have the wire shelves and they fold up when not in use...so great!!