Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baver_gw

Miele USA Service Problems - Anyone else having issues?

baver
14 years ago

I have been trying to get WARRANTY service on my over $3000 Masterchef oven for over a month and cannot get anyone from Miele to respond. What is going on there? I have been in touch with the warranty department, the dealer, the distributor, the regional manager, and nothing. Anyone else having similar issues? Advice, please.

Comments (149)

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You can usually access "secret" service menu settings on all Miele appliances to fine tune parameters and even enable features you didn't know you had. But you need to get your hands on a service manual for the particular appliance. I would be shocked if Miele did not include a calibration setting, or something similar, in the service settings.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rococogurl- Clearly it does take nearly 30 minutes to preheat, but why would a $4000 Miele use an algorithm which gives you inaccurate preheat temperatures and an early beep, when the similarly priced Wolf, gives you a mostly dead on accurate preheat temp readout??? When the Wolf beeped, the oven HAD come to temp. Not so with the Miele. Again, the boxed muffin test came out fine. So rococogurl, do you have a separate oven thermometer you can place in the middle of your oven and check to see what the temp is registering at 375 on Regular, wimpy Bake, and then at 400 on Convection Bake? If it is 365 on yours as well, perhaps this is just how it works.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I wish I knew the answer. Makes no more sense than an instruction book with incomprehensible cooking terms and confusing instructions about which heat settings to use.

You've got mail.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Rococogurl emailed me and asked me to do the test on my Miele ovens.

Some background: our ovens were installed just before Thanksgiving 2007 and Thanksgiving dinner, which was to be eaten at 5:30 was ready at 8:00. It sill took me two months after that of failed cooking and baking, to realize it was the ovens not me. Off I went to get the required thermometers at BB&B and sure enough the ovens were off by a good 50 degrees.

The first phone call resulted in a reprogram over the phone to the correct voltage. Whoop dee whoo, I was only off 30 degrees now.

After much angst and being told this was an acceptable range, at least three service calls by a Miele service technician and one registered letter to Germany, they offered to either buy them back or replace them. I would have loved to get the Gaggenau ovens but the $500 for cabinet reconfiguration was just not in the budget so I chose to replace them with new Miele ovens.

Guess what? The new ovens were off too. But a reprogram to the correct voltage, what is it that they can't do this before shipping them out?, and a visit from the tech, AGAIN!, to recalibrate and I use that loosely as I don't really know what he did, and they work well enough now.

I bake for sweet tables and birthdays and use my ovens a lot.

This is what I've found:

1. I NEVER use regular bake and have no real idea why its even an option

2. Most of my day to day baking is done on the convection setting. I find recipes run true to time AND temp at this setting and need no adjustment for cooking on a convection setting. That being said, my ovens bake very evenly. I have made 6 sheets of cookies at a time and KNOW that the top right of the top rack cooks a little faster than everywhere else but I take that into consideration. Sometimes I don't put cookies there on that sheet and sometimes they are just a little more "done" then the others. I NEVER rotate sheets.

3. Pizza are cooked on Intensive and come out perfectly to our taste. I know there were many threads on here about the perfect pizza. Trailrunner can follow up on that if you want more info, I am sure.

4. I regularly roast turkeys using the Master Chef setting and they are the best turkeys I have ever made. I just lower the probe temp to 170. With tenting and resting for 30 minutes they are PERFECT!!

So here are the results of my tests...drumroll please :)

Starting temp was room temp (about 70 give or take a degree). Two thermometers were used: A Taylor liquid thermometer on the left of middle and a Tru-Temp dial thermometer on the right of middle.

I placed them on the rack third rung up from the bottom

First, I set the oven to regular bake 375 and started at 8:28 am. The beep went at 8:35 at which time the liquid thermometer read 340 and the dial thermometer read 300 (YUP, I had to check that one a few times myself).

At 8:38 the liquid thermometer was at 350 and the dial was catching up at 330.

At 8:45 they were both about 348

At 8:55 they were both around 352.

Then my kid missed the bus and we walked to school. When I came back at 9:33 both thermometers were at 375.

So at 9:33 I changed the oven from regular bake 375 to convection bake 400. At 9:37 the ovens beeped and both thermometers read 400. Yes, that was just 4 minutes later BUT after an hour preheat.

I turned them off. The fan is still going to cool them down and from my experience this will be another hour at least. Something to consider as it does use power.

Hope those test results help you get the results you want.

You know, maybe those original ovens of mine are still doing the rounds.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

It's 11:23 and the cooling fan just turned off.

Time for another test.

11:23 Internal oven temp 150 on both thermometers. Set oven to Intensive bake 350.

11:30 Beep. Liquid 310, dial 275

11:45 both thermometers 350.

All above tests done in upper oven without fan guards in place

Next test: Bottom oven, no fan guard

11:58 Bake Convection to 350, start temp was room temp
    12:07 Beep, Liquid 315, Dial 305
    12:18 both thermometers read 350

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

loves2cook4six - THANK YOU!!!! This is perfect. These are the exact two thermometers I have been using, and exact same location. So they REALLY SHOULD be matching temperatures! I want a replacement. I really would accept the buy back, if it weren't for the rotisserie and the cabinet reconfiguration. They really seem to have some quality control issues, it seems. That's two different Mieles I have checked, plus mine also had a new sensor and control board installed, and they all have been off - EXCEPT for Surround ROAST, which was correct.

Loves2cook4six, any idea why this one particular program would be correct and all of the others off???

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today, I called Miele service and asked to speak with Paul, the lead tech guy and they refused! The guy I talked to was difficult to understand and was quite hostile once I told him what I wanted. He started listing many things that I may be doing wrong and then asked if there was a fault code. I told him no that there was no fault code before either and there was a problem and they put in a new heat regulator, but it is still 30 degrees off. He said maybe they were just throwing parts at it for no good reason. I told him he was full of crap and hung up.

Wow...they are terrible, I cannot believe the incredible bad level of service people they have. I dont expect to be talked to like a king but also dont expect to be addressed as if I was late on my house payments. Next stop Regional Manager and now I have plenty of information to complete, and send the letter to Germany. "Miele...anything else is just a compromise", really?????!!!!

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

It's time to write a letter to Germany, sent registered mail and detailing EVERY.SINGLE.CONTACT you have had in getting this problem resolved. Every person you spoke to, every question you asked, and every reaction you've experienced.

CC the same letter to NJ and wait for the S#$% to hit the fan and believe me it will.

With the economy the way it is, you can't afford to throw your money away and Miele can't afford the bad publicity. Hopefully you will get a new oven in a few days from receipt of your letter in Germany.

The next stop IS NOT the regional manager. IT IS head of the company and no one lesser.

Good luck and please keep us informed. Your experience makes me hesitate to recommend these ovens as I don't want anyone I know to end up in the same situation as you due to a referal from me. Which is kind of sad, because despite the initial problems, I do think they are great ovens.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your problems, but at least they didn't hang up on you. I experienced 3+ months of unconcern, rudeness, and incompetence from numerous Miele employees regarding my dysfunctional DW. They just don't care and this attitude is pervasive throughout the company. I have to believe this is a corporate culture that starts with their top management.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My goal is to have the letter in the mail tomorrow. The regional manager was contacted as well. We had already established a dysfuctional relationship prior to all of the testing that had been done, so I thought I would give it one last try. No response yet, can't say I am shocked anymore.

Antss, or anyone in the know - Is 'Messrs.' Miele and Zinkann short for 'Messengers' or something else? My proper German is a bit rusty.

• weissman
    14 years ago

baver - think long and hard about accepting a buyback - even though it may cost you a little with cabinet reconfiguration, you may end up happier overall - you probably don't want to go through another round of Miele ovens that don't satifsy you. Are you sure you can't find another brand that will easily fit in your current cabinets.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Messrs is the abbreviation (pronounced "messers") for messieurs and is used in English; Messieurs is French; Messrs or Messieurs is a term used to address many men rather than "Mr Pink, Mr White, et al."

If you KNOW their actual last names, address your letter to Mr. Miele and Mr. Zinkann. (I believe Marcus Miele and Reinhard Zinkann are there full names IIRC)

I'd also direct a copy (registered) of the letter to the executive officers and the shareholders secretary.

I would also seriously consider the buyback. Maybe your appliance dealer can help you out. Look at the Gaggenau's. Their side opening oven doors are a wonder and make working with hot racks, dishes etc, a breeze - very commercial style. A rotisserie may be an available add on accessory but their steam oven alone, would make me switch in a heart beat. It came out a year after we were done but if I had the chance, I would seriously consider them.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That Businessweek link is a bit dated, I believe, as Rudolf Miele is listed as co-proprietor and managing director. He passed away in 2004. I do appreciate the thought though.

I REALLY DO NOT want to do the buy back, I just want Miele to be the Miele I had heard about, the Miele that has the great customer service, the Miele with the precise controls, the Immer Besser, the "Anything else is just a compromise." I have a Miele induction cooktop I love, and an oven I WANT to love. This lousy service just needs to be addressed by Miele in Germany. It sounds like they need to move their US operations to a state where people actually are happy to have jobs and happy to help the customer that has spent a lot of money on a product that could be had for A LOT less. There is no reason to ruin your good name worldwide because of your lousy, borderline dishonest operations in the US.

• weissman
    14 years ago

baver - two questions - have you tried pre-heating the oven beyond the beep to see if it stabilizes at abot the correct temperature the way loves2cook4six did and have you tried actually cooking in your oven? I haven't seen anything in your posts to indicate either of those.

Yes it's disappointing that the product and the support don't live up to your expectations but at some point you have to cut your losses, and the fact that you're being offered a buy back is a lot better than other people with appliance problems have fared. Good luck.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I have let it preheat for over an hour and it does not come close to the 400 (it is around 365) for ALL BAKE settings, BUT it did hit 400 on the SURROUND ROAST setting. So the ability to do it is there. Yes, I cook in it all the time. That is how I knew there were issues. That's a whole different thread.

I haven't been officially offered the buy back yet, but the oven is still under warranty, so that is the least Miele could do, but honestly, just give me an oven that is 400 or even 395 when set for 400. The oven costs nearly $4000!!! This shouldn't be a case of "Just set it 20 degrees higher." If I wanted that, I would have kept my old 1949 Kenmore that I had used for the past 4 years. Besides, the amount the oven is off varies by the temperature and the function selected, so that really isn't an option here.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Baver,
    I understand where you're coming from. I really wanted my DW to work like a Miele is supposed to, and I considered asking them to exchange it for a new one. Then I realized that whenever anything went wrong with the new one during its lifetime, I would have to deal with the same horrible service from the same disinterested people. No more Miele's for me, ever. Please consider whether you want to place yourself at the mercy of Miele's service dept in the future.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, Miele has agreed to replace the oven. They do want to know what we plan on doing if the new oven is just like the old oven. I say, assuming the voltage IS correct, they can have it back and I will buy a Wolf. I have had very good service from them in the past, I KNOW their preheat is accurate, but...no rotisserie. (and frankly, I think the Miele looks better.) Who knows, maybe we can all go to counseling after this. :) Of course, it's not over yet.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Glad to see they are at "least" attempting to resolve this.

I hope it works out for you. Check the date of manufacture to make sure you are getting a new one out the box and not my old one ;-)

BTW, if you do go for the buy back, then seriously look at the Gaggenau ovens. And I did a bit of research and those DO come with a rotisserie AND side opening doors.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well....once I accept that replacement, they are unwilling to deal with my "lack of satisfaction", so I guess I will be playing the odds that it does work properly. Apparently, other than the first tech, they are unable to admit that there was/is a problem. If only I could afford the Gaggeneau....

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Do I understand this correctly - they sold you a lemon and they're going to replace it - but if the replacement is also a lemon then you're just stuck with it? Are they going to give you a new warranty on the replacement? Will they service the new one if there's a problem? I sure hope I am wrong.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I'd advise you to ditch the Miele product. One should not have to work and pray like this for the sake of a high-end appliance. That company has proved that they are not worth your attachment to the brand and look. The company's attitude is all wrong. They want to replace your faulty appliance with another--one that has no warranty. I'm appalled.

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

This is all a little scary. Our Miele oven and speed oven were installed on Friday. Our first use in the full oven was Papa Murphy bake at home pizza. We assumed it was preheated when it said it was; kept ading more time. The pizza still tasted a bit doughy. So I bought a new oven thermomenter (dial) an spent some time Saturday heating cooling . measuring - mostly on the standard bake cycle. Taking temerature measuremtns 20 -4o minutes after oven says preheated. The speed oven is dead on. The full oven is 50 degrees lo of the set temperatre. Set 400 - oven is 350; set 425 oven os 375; set 450 oven is 400.

ANy advice before I call for service?

• tracy25
    14 years ago

dcwesley...I'd call the miele support #. It sounds to me that you need to adjust the voltage. If your installation was done by someone other than a "miele" tech this is likely the issue.

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

Tracy - Thank you for the feedback., Is this something we can do with their guideance over the phone, or will they need to send someone out.

(The install wass done by the son of the appliance store - which is a Miele live cooking showroom. He did a great job of spending time describing how to work all the appliances, but I have no idea if he qualifies as a Miele tech; I don know my warranty is in full force becuase I used them.)

We have a Miele dishwahser, induction cooktop, and the two ovens. The temperature problme on the full oven is the only issue we are having so far - except for having to learn how to use all the fancy features.

The only appliance we did not buy from this store was our refrigerator. We decided on an Electrolux and the first store did not carry them, nor could they order one. So we ordered the fridge from a second store. WHAT a difference on customer service. The first store spent lots of time, was careful with the kitchen, explained everything. The second store has a "dump and go" attitude - while they did hook up the refrigerator - which I paid for of course - they left packing tape all over it, damaged the ceiling (with no apology - we will fix) - told us severl things wrong (including handing me a box saying "this is a DVD to watch" - which turned out to be the air filter cartridge instead.)

Sorry to go on. Thanks for the help.

• antss
    14 years ago

dc - you can set the correct voltage yourself. Just go into the setup menu from the front panel and choose voltage, set it at 220 and then enter.

detective - I think your attitude is the one that's wrong. How many other companies are going to send out a brand new unit for one they feel there is nothing wrong with? Bosch ? No way. Kitchen Aid? They flat out lied to people for years about their faulty self clean shutdowns and they wouldn't even know how to send out a new oven if they wanted to. Wolf has sent out new gear, but it's generally rare to get a new unit from anyone. Repair,repair , repair. Also, where did you get the idea that the new oven won't have a warranty??? That Miele may be unwilling to deal with "lack of satisfaction" is not the same thing as no warranty !

baver - the letters should have gone out two months ago. You have simply been caught in the cogs of bureaucracy, the letters would have taken this to a different level in a shorter timeframe. Now they are simply going to be window dressing.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Antss: I agree about the letter, but it certainly well documents the ineptitude and indifference throughout the organization; so hopefully something decent will come out of it. It's seven pages long, filled with "Immer Besser". Ultimately, they ARE replacing my oven; although they seem to think it's due to "my satisfaction" and not because of an actual problem with the oven. All of these points are made in the letter. We'll see...I am hoping I get lucky and the new one works well. If not, well... maybe the letter will have an impact on "my satisfaction." Looked into Gaggenau, and we're talking about about another $1200 and I have to get it through a distributor as there are NO authorized dealers in the Portland area. There used to be; I guess the demand isn't there. So should I have needed service with a Gaggenau oven, finding someone competent would've been an issue.

I have decided that I can't live without the rotisserie, so I eliminated the Wolf and I'm not about to play with Thermador.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

No, annts, I'll stick by attitude.

• dodge59
    14 years ago

Gotta side with the "Cop" in this case. The replacement should come with the same warranty the first one did.
    Antss, you even posted the temps were not Accetable so She has had a defective oven since day one!!!! And the warranty on the replacement should start for a full year or whatever the time is, starting at the time the replacement is installed.
    With the exception of their Fridges, I would invite you to compare the service that people have got Elux versus Miele.
    Course now we looking at Gaginaws. Hmmmmm, Antss, I see an opportunity for us to make a ton of money here, We makes an oven, price it at 2x Gaginnaw, give it a fancy new, Maybe "Le Burnitte" put nice logo on it, We otta sell tons of them to the "formerly rich and famous" (LOL)

Gary

• dodge59
    14 years ago

shudda said "fancy Name", not fancy new

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now Gary, I HAVE dealt with Electrolux. I was one of the originals on GW to experience their wonderfully crappy ICON free-standing refrigerators. And it was not just me, you can check out that thread if you want to. I want a rotisserie in my oven (use it once a week), and there are only a few mfrs out there who provide that option.

• dodge59
    14 years ago

Baver, I did say with the exception of Elux Fridges. I wouldn't have one if it were free, seeing your posts as well as a ton of others about their Fridges. It looks like they are trying to power a "Hummer" with a VDub engine?
    I stand corrected on your choices, as I was not aware that only Miele and Gag offered a rotisserie, and if I did not live in S Calif, I would certainly want one inside, I also love those infrared burners that some gas ovens have as does my bbq, too bad they are not offered on Electric Ovens (Yet). I was just having a "Little fun" alto I guess there is no humour in your situation.
    Good Luck with the New One!!!!

Gary

• tracy25
    14 years ago

dcwesley.....I called. They walked me through it in less than 5 minutes. It's not a simple selection. I'd call.

Tracy

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

I called Miele. After a bit on hold (not complaining), I talked with a service representative, who took my basic name, address, and serial number. After listening to a description of my problem, he led me into programming mode and had me set the voltage from 208 to 220. Tonight's test on Regular Bake 375 heated to 355 after 30 minutes (no higher at an hour.) Turned the oven up to 450 - thermometer raised to 430, staying steady even an hour later.

Certainly 20 degrees is much closer than 50. I have only checked Standard bake (which I will seldom use.) SO I need to run a lot more tests. I am surprised it claims it is preheated so long before it is.

Since it looks like I am in for some serious testing I am thinking I should invest in a better oven thermometer. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I will do some more experimenting before I decide if I want to call and discuss with technical support further.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dcwesley, sounds like my oven. I bought two thermometers, one of which is a Tru-Temp Dial, the other a Taylor (liquid filled, mercury-like) thermometer. (Recommended by Cooks Illustrated) Reports on that thermometer do show it is prown to the numbers wiping off, and the bulb can actually move, potentially rendering it somewhat useless; so buy it where you can see several and compare. The bulb end should line up with the end of the metal holder-it will make sense when you see it. The Taylor responds VERY quickly to temp changes, but both thermometers are within 5 degrees of each other long-term.

In an UPDATE, my new oven arrives next week. An interesting conversation took place last night with the Wolf distributor at a National Kitchen and Bath Association function, who said a woman asked to come in last week with her thermometer to check the temps in their Wolf ovens. She had just had the Miele installed, and was told by Miele's wonderful service people in NJ that you can't go by thermometers (her oven temps were off as well), and that she basically didn't know how to cook. (Sound familiar?) The temps on the Wolf were allegedly within 5 degrees of her thermometer. The Wolf distributor was also shocked to learn that Miele uses an algorithm (one that is not accurate, BTW) rather than sensors for the preheat.
    I am beginning to think that MANY more Miele ovens may find their ovens to be off in temperature if they were to cross-check the temps with another thermometer. Perhaps, that is why Miele is saying not to use thermometers, hmmmm. Oh well, new one on the way for me and a letter detailing the whole mess off to Germany. May need to follow-up that letter with a new one detailing the new oven, keeping fingers crossed.

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

I posted earlier, but I was told the very same thing regarding the temps - you can't use a thermometer to check the temp, and I didn't know how to use the oven. LUWA gave me a pamphlet that described the different settings and I have found it useful.
    DON"T USE THE REGULAR BAKE - it is useless. As others have noted, I don't know why it is even an option.
    I did have the electronics replaced and have had better luck cooking/baking since then. I don't reduce the oven temp with convection except in cases of long, over 90 minutes, baking and then only for the last 30 minutes or so.

Baking off a mix affords perfect results which is confusing to me - since my tried and true recipes need more fiddling with to bake properly. It really is the bake functions that are the most difficult in my oven. I always preheat for the full 30 minutes - except for box mixes which seem to come out perfectly no matter what I do....confusing. I preheat for 60 minutes when using a baking stone for bread or pizza. Also, I find I get better results with brownies, pies, cakes etc, to use a lower rack vs right in the middle. Sometimes I find the bottom not quite done if placed in the middle.

Regarding your clacking noise - the fan is expanding and hitting when it moves through a certain temperture range. You need to record it so the tech can hear the problem - open the door and HOLD the button on the side in so the convection fan still turns - then proceed wtih the recording. The fact that you only hear noise intermittantly tells you how slightly the fan is off and can probably just be adjusted. Jared at LUWA can help you with this. If it is the cooling fan, I believe it still turns with the door open, so you won't need to hold the button. Note the temp of the oven when you hear the noise so LUWA can check it when it occurs. Jared was able to adjust mine, and believe me it sounded like a machine gun as it went through 270 - 280..

I do think there is a bit of a learning curve with the ovens - but I find the rotisserie great, the temp probe perfect for roasting, turkey is perfect etc. It is just the baking that I had to adjust to, and I am getting better. I had to start giving away baked goods as I was trying so many recipes on different settings.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the thermometer says is if the product comes out properly.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucypwd - honestly, IT DOES matter what the thermometer says. When you pay nearly $4000 for an oven that claims such a high degree of accuracy, you should not have to "tweak" receipes due to an improperly calibrated oven. When a $4000 oven says 400 degrees, it should be pretty darn close to 400. 375 is NOT close. Again, this is not a Hotpoint.

The manual DOES say when you are using Convection Bake, that you should use the first or second runners from the bottom.

Jared at Luwa has been great. No problems with him at all.

Still keeping my fingers crossed with the new oven, but the more I hear from others, the more it sounds like it is the luck of the draw. We'll see.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Baver,
    I have a Miele oven, the older series and it maintains temperature within 3 degrees. I used a regular thermometer to check the temperature and it was off 20-30degrees. My HVAC guy was visiting one day and I saw that he had a Fluke. He pointed the Fluke at the oven and read a temperature variance of about 3degrees. I had been relying on the oven thermometer while waiting for a technician from Miele. Have you measured the temperature using IR rather than on oven thermometer?

Having said that, if you I were in your shoes, I would ask Miele for a full refund of purchase price and get something else that will work for you. If they don't give you a refund, I would sell the new oven and take the proceeds to purchase something else. Life is too short.

Good luck!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Followup: Miele finally took back that blasted DW and refunded my purchase price. They stalled and didn't make the process easy, but at least they honored their 90-day guarantee. I was very happy to see it go out the door.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Warmfridge: Glad to hear your Miele saga is over. What did you decide to go with?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

A new KA was just delivered. After I've used it, I'll post some direct comparisons with the Miele.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@warmfridge - Looking forward to your report

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it has been installed for a little over a week and I have had the opportunity to use it four times. Some good news, some not so good.

First off, I now have a rolling rack on the bottom. Yea! It's called a flexi-something, but it basically is one rack that rolls that comes with its OWN manual. The manual makes it sound awfully delicate, but it is nice to have.

Secondly, the new oven has the "Smart Steel", a coated stainless which is supposed to resist fingerprints. I was specifically told NOT to use any kind of stainless cleaner on it, basically just water and a microfiber cloth. The color is darker with this new coating, which frankly is fine, it looks better with the 48" Liebherr next door.

Next, there is no grease filter. There IS a place for it, but they no longer give you one, nor is there any reference to it in the manual. Strange. Good. Bad. I dunno. Most other ovens don't have one and seem to be able to handle the grease, perhaps Miele thinks theirs can at least handle it until the warranty period is over, whatever.

The broiler works SO MUCH better than my old oven. Totally, night and day. I am very happy. Don't get too excited for me yet.

The temperature tests on the other functions do not come out well at all. Temps are off even a bit more than my old oven. Convection Bake at 400, is registering 365. Surround Roast at 400, 385. I have to think that Miele does this on purpose and that is how they differentiate between all of the various program modes, but you would think one would be accurate. And then there is loves2cook4six above who showed that the temps can be exactly on, so I remain confused. I will try and get some baking in this weekend and see how it goes before I proceed with my next move. I will try the rotisserie tonight. I haven't checked the clock's accuracy yet, just been too busy. Still waiting to hear from Germany.

Any thoughts from people?

Thanks for following.

• baver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should've added that the voltage IS definitely correct. I also had the electric company check everything out a SECOND time, as well as an electrician. No issues.

• User
    14 years ago

Hi - new here, and I don't have much to add - my new Miele oven was just installed today and I won't be using it until next week.

Just wanted to say that my tech who installed explained that the grease filter is no longer provided as the ovens are now Self-Clean rather than Perfect-Clean and the grease filter is no longer necessary.

I also have the new glide rack which looks (and feels) lovely!

Also, I noted that my tech said he set my voltage at 240. I'm in Canada, so maybe there's a difference (as I see references above to 220)?

I'll report if I have any temperature issues! VS

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

It's been a few months - any updates or follow up on the new ovens?

• sconway11324
    13 years ago

I am about to buy a Miele double oven. Any updates? I would seriously hate to go through what baver and warmfridge have gone through. I can't afford a Gaggenau!

• User
    13 years ago

I would like to add that you will be sorry if you use the self clean in the ovens on a frequent basis. You can ask any tech person and they will tell you that the high heat that is generated will ruin the thermostat and it will need to be replaced.

I ruined mine with all the artisinal bread baking that I have done for 4 1/2 yrs. I luckily bought the 5 yr warranty so had them both replaced in Nov. I will cont to bake at high heats but you need to be aware that if you use the self clean you had better have the extended warranty. The parts are $120 each and then the service call.

I will also add that this is true of ALL self clean ovens not just Miele and they ALL use the exact same part. I have Perfect clean and would never ever use/have self clean. So just be aware and have your warranty on hand. c

• cupofkindness
    13 years ago

I have never used the self-clean feature on my oven because of this fact. For whatever reason, the ovens cannot take that intense blast over and over. My oven is 5 years old, a Whirlpool. When it dies, I'll replace it with something better. Wait! Maybe I should use the self-clean feature weekly!

• gwilson
    13 years ago

Baver,

You have posted any news since april of last year on your oven issues. I was about to purchase the Miele magic chef double ovens until I came across this thread. Could you please give us an update? Thanks

• JBrooksM
    12 years ago

I am so upset by what I am reading and what I have experienced over the last 12 years .. I am in the process of two major kitchen remodels and have 6 more to complete before I have them all done. Based on what I am reading here and on the internet blogs, I have ended up unwilling to order ANY new appliances.
    Over the last 12 years the only things I have purchased that have had great customer service are my Jura Capressa coffee makers and my Tempurpedic mattressses. All other purchases have been major headaches or outright nightmares.

I am at the point that buying anything at all literally makes me sick at my stomach (and this is not just because I am a guy who does not enjoy shoppping in general). I have noticed that I have become openly hostile to sales people in general. With very few exceptions, I have never met a "sales" person who had even the scant ethics of even a democrat politician. The fact that I am now expected to buy appliances from one of these ingenuine sociopathic sales types is so upsetting that I have my two kitchen remodels on hold. I have great inset all wood custom cabinets with great custom granite counters ... and no appliances. Friends of mine in CA hate their Miele, friends in Henderson Nevada hate their Subzero and Dacor, friends in NY hate their Monogram, friends in Naples Florida hate their AGA and Viking, friends in the Netherlands hate their Miele, friends in Carmel Indiana hate their Traulson and Miele, friends in Arizona hate their Kitchen Aid ... and it goes on and on with nightmare after nightmare of new appliances defective out-of-the-box, incompetent installers, unethical distributors, sales people that grab the big commissions and then can't even return follow up calls, manufacturers that don't honor their warranty committments or try to stong arm the very customers that their business should be treating with dignity and integrity. To add insult to injury, many regional better business bureaus rate these retailers and businesses A+. No wonder consumers have stopped purchasing ... it is not the recession that has stopped people from making major purchases, but, rather, the expectation that after-purchase headaches will take months and months to resolve with stress levels higher than paying for your childrens' college educations. Short of having an attorney produce a contract that the appliance supplier has to sign and be held to legally, does anyone out there have any other magic process. A process that assures the customer won't be setting themselves up for an extremely stressful experience with underpaid customer disservice departments trained by the Insurance claims industry to intimidate and wear down the customer to a point of having to just give up?

signed - a potential appliance customer in limbo