Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 Inch dual fuel - Thermador/Viking Lesson

Posted by schecht3 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:24

Help.

This is my 2nd new construction. The last time I bought the Thermador double ovens based on GW recommendations. Bad idea. They failed numerous times and I am now a scarred consumer.

This time I am skipping the double ovens (see above mentioned scars) and going with a 30 inch dual fuel range.

Of course, I would love the wolf but the price tag is too high (not too mention the interior cavity always seems small to me)

I was contemplating the Viking D3. What else would you recommend? My biggest need is a large interior cavity. I am not a baker or master chef....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 Inch dual fuel - Thermador/Viking Lesson

We just bought a GE Monogram DF 30". Great burners high and simmer, full grates across the top, 11" pans will fit 4 at one time, full extension racks inside the oven. Oven size should be comparable, but not sure. Convection of course. Haven't used it yet, but we were looking at the same models you are. Of course we got a great deal and that helped sway our decision.

o

Thermador had severe problems with their electric ovens a few years ago. You were probably given that advice before the GW community became aware of those problems. Allegedly resolved since then ....

Viking. Viking has had a horrendous reputation the last few years. Partially as a result Viking extended warranties.

Now Viking has just been purchased by Middleby. A large commercial food equipment company. Fred Carl the founder and president of Viking plus another 140 Viking employees have retired ,resigned , or otherwise no longer with Viking. This could be good or bad but we just don't know. I would not buy a major piece of Viking equipment right now.

If you are not a baker why do you want to pay a premium for dual-fuel?

o

I am simply used to an electric oven and gas range. See no need to deviate from what I had.

o

If you are not a baker or master chef - have you considered All Gas. It is a much cheaper range, and with some of the models, there are very little electronics to fail - which has been a problem with some stoves. While there has been some debate, it seems that at least half, if not more, of the posters think that electric versus gas is not a big deal in an oven, and other factors may have more influence than just whether it is gas or electric. If you are set on dual fuel and can live with sealed burners, DCS offers a range at a pretty attractive price point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here