Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjayva

GE Advantium

benjayva
14 years ago

We have now switched gears from a double wall oven to a single w/ the advantium oven. Anyone have one?? Love it /hate it???

Comments (40)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

that's what I am looking at.

Profile Convection on bottom with Advantium 120 on top.

humm...

• gwentm
    14 years ago

What is the difference between a 120 and a 240 Advantium? Do you need special electric set up for the 240?

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

gwentm

it is my understanding that you get more function and versatilty with the 120 but lose some speed.

TD

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Advantium Website Page

• benjayva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

240 is what your house is normally wired for. So, 120 is one "1 pole"... 1 less wire and less power... so less speed

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

We have a Monogram Convection single wall oven and a Monogram Advantium 120. From what I understand, the 240 cooks twice as fast. You have to wire differently for the 240 than the 120. The 120 just takes a regular outlet and the 240 takes the kind of outlet you need for the regular wall oven (sorry, I am totally not an electrician and that is the best I can explain!). :)

Anyway, we wired for both so that we could change to an Advantium 240 in the future if we wanted to.

We chose the 120 over the 240 for two reasons: 1) It can be seen from our entire house (except bedrooms) and I liked the styling on the 120 better and 2) from what I understand the microwave is better on the 120 than on the 240 and we use our microwave quite a bit with our 4-year old.

Good luck!

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

cali wendy

all things considered, would you buy an Advantium 120 today knowing what you know?

TD

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Tigerdunes...yes! :)

It works well for our needs including microwaving, quick speed cook dinners (i.e. chicken), quick baking needs.

I haven't used it for baking cookies or things like that because I just use my convection. But, it works well for quick dinners. I am sure I haven't fully exploited its uses yet.

My only word of caution is be careful where you install it. Ours is installed above a pantry cabinet where the bottom of the Advantium is about even with the bottom of the upper cabinets. Because the door of the Advantium opens like an oven door, I have to stand on my tip-toes to get things out of it. I'm 5'4 1/2''.

• gracesantacruz
    14 years ago

We put in GE Advantium over our GE conventional oven. They didn't have a 240 option for 27", so we had to use the 120. I second the previous post - don't install these too high as shorter people will have some trouble reaching inside. The one we installed (picture below) is about as high as I'd recommend.

We use the Advantium mostly for the microwave. Sometimes use the Speedcook feature, and even less as a second convection oven.

If I had a 30", and used the Advantium primarily as a convection or Speedcook oven, I would be interested more in the 220.

Overall, this is a great kitchen appliance.

• faith2009
    14 years ago

Cali Wendy LOVE your kitchen!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Faith2009!

Gracesantacruz, is that a view of beautiful Santa Cruz and the Monterey Bay out your lovely kitchen windows? I lived there for 10 years and miss it!

If I had to guess I'd say your home is in Seabright! :)

• gracesantacruz
    14 years ago

Cali_Wendy,
    Wow! You are right on!

We are in Seabright. It's an inverted floor plan where the 2nd floor is where the main living area and kitchen are located. It overlooks Monterey Bay, neighborhood, and pier/wharf, and Seabright beach. They built a lighthouse at the end of the jetty/yacht harbor entrance a few years back. We've lived here 12 years and love it.

Admire you photo also, we were looking at a backsplash like yours and wanted to highlight it with a few iridescent mosaic glass/stone tiles to add interest. But had trouble finding good quality stone, and loved the glass mosaic so much we just used it for everything. Reminds me of the beach glass that washes up.

The Advantiums look great in these lighter colored kitchens!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Gracesantacruz, love, love your neighborhood! I lived on the other side of the harbor on 5th for a number of years before moving to upper Seabright and then the West side. I've only been out of Santa Cruz for 2 1/2 years so I am familiar with the harbor lighthouse. What amazing views you must have! :)

You made the perfect choice for your backsplash...love the beach glass look of it.

I agree...I love the look of our Advantium. So much nicer looking than a regular microwave, in my opinion, and love the extra functionality of it as well.

• andybp
    14 years ago

We have a free standing range, GE Monogram wall oven and 240 Advantium so I didn't need the Advantium as a second oven but definitely think you could use it as one.

We love the Advantium and use it all the time. Mostly have microwaved and done speed cooking but did use it once as a convection oven and it worked out well. Have also toasted muffins in it and was surprised how well it worked.

I've only had it for about 6 months so think there's still a lot of experimenting to do.

Would recommend it highly.

• benjayva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks All.... I'm sold. Will check out the differences between the 2. Also, thx for the height info, sure makes sense once you mentioned it.
    And the pics wow to both of you !!!!!!!!!! Makes me Very envious...ummmmCalifornia, esp Monterey Bay etc.
    I'm in Va w/ 30inches of snow and expecting another "blizzard" condition snowstorm as we speak. I just got my phone, tv, computer access back up since last week ugh. trying to catch up on the forum before I lose it again !!!
    Thx again...Jamie

• semi
    14 years ago

I too am planning on an Advantium as my microwave and secondary wall oven. If I have my choice of how the electrician wires the ovens, is there a reason I would go for 240 over 120 or visa versa?

Thanks!

• benjayva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

great idea smarge !! thx

• beejay27
    14 years ago

That's just the set-up that will be going into my new kitchen in a few weeks, smarge! I'm so glad to hear that it works so well for you.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Great layout Smarge! I too have the divided tray cabinet above my Advantium...it works great! I also keep the extra round tray for the Advantium up there.

The height of your Advantium is nice. As I mentioned, mine is too high. I'm already pondering where I will stick a second microwave when my 4-year old is old enough to start using it! I guess she can always grab a chair...that's how she gets to everything she needs now. Amazing how independent they want to be! :)

• amerillove
    14 years ago

Anyways..Do you need special electric set up for the 240?

Here is a link that might be useful: Los Angeles Appliance Repair

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Amerillove, you need a 240v electrical outlet for the Advantium 240, but only a regular 120v outlet for the Advantium 120.

We wired for both since our walls were open. We have the Advantium 120, but wanted the option of changing to a 240 in the future without rewiring again.

• artemiss
    14 years ago

Thought I would chime in and share my experience with the Adv 240, since I've had one a little over 4 years. Mine is an OTR model and we had to have some rewiring done to install it.

I guess the most telling thing I can relate is that I use it every day in the speed cook mode, and actually do the majority of my cooking in it. It's especially nice in the coldest part of winter (and we're having a doozy here in the South) and in the heat of summer, when I want a grilled steak but don't really want to have to go outside and fire up the grill. The Adv 240 does a great job on filets mignon, salmon steaks, etc. I can get a quiche baked in about 15 min. and a beef stew done in less than 45 min. The mic portion of the oven, when used by itself, works the same as any other mic I've had. It's the top and bottom halogens working with the mic that make it a broiler/roaster, but any of these 3 elements can be used independently.

I'm a big fan of it and if it totally broke down or blew away in a tornado (like the one that missed my house by 200 ft a couple of wks ago) I would go out and buy another one immediately. Saves time, energy and the need for lots of cookware. BTW, love the kitchen photos posted and the great pan storage ideas. Mine are kept in the drawer under the range, where a warming drawer would be if I'd opted for that.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

I'm considering all options for our new kitchen (new build) and one of them is the Advantium. I'm wanting a 2nd oven, but not full-sized--I want it to replace my toaster oven (to get if off the counter). We use it constantly (just 2 of us). I get all the great uses of the Advantium, but what about "broiled toast"? In the beginning, that was the main reason I wanted a toaster oven--I don't like pop-ups that brown both sides of the bread. Can the Advantium do broil only?

Thanks.

• alwaysfixin
    14 years ago

Trying to decide between the 240 and the 120. I searched on this forum, and couldn't find much to sway me one way or the other. Here are the differences I've noted:

240 - faster cooking, smaller cavity, much more expensive, plus the cost to wire for the 240.

120 - slower than the 240, larger cavity, significantly less expensive, some discussion that this model has more features than the 240, but I couldn't find any specifics on that.

So, setting aside the cost factor, can anyone tell me why I should pick one over the other? Thanks.

• artemiss
    14 years ago

Hi tracey...I do some top browning/broiling in the Adv. First, I preheat the top halogen for a minute or so without activating the lower lamp or the microwave function. The setting is 'Manual', top light 10, lower light, 0, microwave, 0. Then put in the toast or whatever, and use the same setting to broil or top brown.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

Thanks, Artemiss....you've given me something to think about, esp. considering my first choice is way too expensive :-)

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

alwaysfixin,

I'm not sure about this, but I thought the newer 240's had a larger cavity now--as in, they can now fit a 13"x9" pan...? I will try to verify that later this evening, but in the meantime, hopefully someone with real knowledge of this might chime in.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I went to GE's website; it appears from their specs that the 30" wall ovens, in both the 120 & 240 models, have the same cavity size: 20-1/16 x 8-1/2 x 17

Website states that both have a 16" turntable that will allow rotation of a 13x9.

Hope that helps w/ your comparison shopping.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Advantium

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

Love your setup, Smarge, it is nice to see what has been in my head done in living color. Would you mind sharing what model Miele oven you have. I want one with a rotisserie also. Thanks!

• francesca_sf
    14 years ago

I notice the installation instructions require the Advantium be at least 36 3/4" above the floor. Does anyone know the reason for this? We had planned to install the PSB2201, 220 V under the counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instruction Manual

• mulemom
    14 years ago

I had considered an undercounter installation and contacted GE. They did not say why the others could not be installed under counter, but did give me the models that can be installed under counter. They are: GE Profile PSB1200N (either BB-black or SS stainless) and GE Monogram ZSC1201N SS and ZSC1202N SS.

• weiss528i
    14 years ago

One salesman told me that the Advantium was noisy. Is this "old" information? We are serious about the Monogram 30" convection oven with the Adventium 240.... Also, does anyone know if I need to 220v outlets if I place the Advantium over the Monogram oven or can I get away with a single one?

Thanks.

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

smarge - I'm curious why you got the Advantium instead of the Miele speed oven, since you have a Miele wall oven below.

• francesca_sf
    14 years ago

mulemom - Thank you for the good information!

• gwentm
    14 years ago

Just learned about the Velos OTR Speed Cook Oven. How does it compare to the Advantium 120v?

• peggross1
    13 years ago

kayl - my Miele oven is the Master Chef H4881BP.

tresgirls - I don't recall for certain. I may have briefly considered the Miele, but at the time I was researching and planning for my kitchen, the Advantium was a HUGE standout on GW and was clearly well-loved. I also had a neighbor who was happy w/her OTR Advantium.

Possibly, the Miele isn't a speedcook in quite the same way that the Advantium is? Does the Miele use light to crisp? The Advantium uses three heat sources to cook.

Microwave, obviously for the Micro mode.
    Abiant heated air w/fan for Convection
    Light - not sure, but think it's halogen light that helps to "crisp" and "brown" things in speedcook mode.

The Speedcook funciton makes the best, boxed-mix brownies perfectly every time, and my kids and their friends credit me with making "the best" brownies in the world! Too easy - 30 minutes total from opening the box to taking perfect brownies out of the speedcooker.

• peggross1
    13 years ago

Oh, to be clear, I should add that speedcook mode seems to use all three heat sources at once. The light goes on and off every few seconds and the oven is very hot inside when cooking is finished.

• pk66
    12 years ago

@smarge - we are doing a whole house remodel and are in the framing stage and cabinet design. So your pictures were very timely.

I'm short and so your setup will work for me. Could you let me know what the exact height of your Advantium oven is from the floor? and how deep your bottom drawer is. We are also getting a cabinet with slots for trays above too.

We are planning to get the GE Profile Advantium and the GE Profile single oven stacked over each other in a wall. Do you know any major differences between the profile Advantium and the monogram Advantium other than the looks that I should consider before I place my order?

Thanks

• lindso1212
    4 years ago

We are in the market for our first ever Advantium (profile 240 wall oven). Cali_wendy, this is such an old post and you may not even be in the same house, but I would love to know exactly how many inches your advantium is from the floor. Or if anyone else has it over a counter? I know you said it's too tall, but with our new remodel configuration-that is about the only way for us to have it and we'd like a counter beneath because the island will be a couple steps away. So I'm thinking of putting it 15 inches above a counter (less than standard 18) which is 51 from the floor. I'm 5 8' tho, so hoping it will be ok! Thank you!!

• Susan L
    4 years ago

lindso, are you looking at the wall oven or the over the range? The models have changed since these posts.

The current wall oven version (more expensive) says minimum of about 37 inches from floor to bottom; I'm guessing that height is so a person can read the settings and wouldn't hit your arm on the top getting something out (no racks like a regular oven. The OTR version says minimum of 66 inches from top to floor; I', guessing this is so there is a minimum of 15" between the range and oven.

I have the OTR version which is installed over the range at about 78" top from the floor. The height is ok for use, but I don't find there is enough room between it and the gas range top (about 16" from the grill). It's really not a problem but I was used to having a lot more with my old fan. My exhaust fan is recirculating; the house does not have an outside vent. On the Advantium, you just change the vent direction so it vents to the front.

For my new house, I'm planning to move the Advantium oven to over a counter. I won't be using it as a exhaust fan. I don't see why that would be a problem; it will still have basically the same amount, and will probably lower it about 2" bo be a little better height for me.

Visually, it will kind of look like those kitchens where the microwave sits in a cabinet, although I won't have a bottom so the Advantium can still draw any air it needs from the bottom.

Is this what you were talking about?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler