Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for opinions on hard food disposers in a dishwasher....

Posted by tryingtodecorate (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 15:03

It sounds like a good idea. What are you thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for opinions on hard food disposers in a dishwasher..

That's what I thought too, but having had to clean my KA's disposer twice (a real PITA) and replace it once over the course of 18 months, I don't think so anymore. I can only speak about KitchenAid (and the associated Whirlpool and Kenmore models). Perhaps other brands have better arrangements, I don't know. It's not really a food disposer; it's a rather cheap chopper and screen assembly (see link below), and if you're not careful about what solid foods remain on your dishes, it will clog and prevent adequate water flow from reaching the upper rack. Moreover, it will take some of the semi-chopped solid food and actually make whatever's in the top rack dirtier than when it went in. I've learned to carefully scrape every plate before it goes in. Mine is less than 2 years old and works reasonably well otherwise, but when I eventually replace it, I'll avoid a built-in "disposer".

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Repair/Chopper Replacement

o

KA is considered the best DW with a hard food disposer.

o
KA's with hard food disposer

KA is considered the best DW with a hard food disposer.

o

My whole life has been with DW with disposers. In fact, I never even knew they existed without one until I came here. I've never experienced nor had anyone I know experience issues with them. Now that I understand from my time here that DW's without them make a generally quieter unit, I plan to look for one without the disposer when I buy my next DW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here