Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Does anyone actually have the Thermador Pro Grand Steam range?

caitlinmagner
11 years ago

I did a search and found some threads of people talking about, but not much of people owning it. Just wondering if anyone has this and what they think. I know in general Thermador doesn't get good reviews here.

Comments (26)

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

I have a Thermador Pro Grand-no steam though. In terms of brand reliability my Thermador is 6 years old and I haven't had any trouble with it. It's all gas, not duel fuel. I love it. A friend of mine has an eight year old Pro Grand cooktop with a wok burner-no problem. She has Fisher Paykel ovens and they have been a nightmare from the get go. Mary

• subonim
    11 years ago

Reviving this thread as I would also love to hear from anyone who actually owns this range. Will be building a home next year and already struggling between going with a mixed bag centered around around a BS or a CC, or going with an all Thermador package which allows for a uniform look and pretty solid appliances in every category. If it does all that it claims and does it well, the ProGrand Steam would save some space in my kitchen design, plus aesthetically it is hard to beat.

There are plenty of threads on BS and CC and I have been reading about them and have visited the BS factory in Reading, PA for a demo. Really looking for more info from folks who have bought Thermador (any of their appliance lines) in the last year or two. It seems to me that their reliability and customer service have improved since they were acquired by BSH but it would be nice to hear from actual owners.

• anna_
    11 years ago

If we don't make any last minute changes like we just did on the fridge, we should have one in a week or two. But still have a month or two before the house is done. Will let you know.

We chose based on how it looked, how it felt to operate, and the features (in that order). The builder discount was also much better on the Thermador line than the Wolf / SZ. I don't like to be first to own anything, but couldn't find anything good or bad about it so decided to take a chance.

It comes with a free dishwasher that can be upgraded to the Sapphire for $200. I like the dishwasher, but no actual experience with it yet.

• anna_
    10 years ago

Does anyone else have any experience with the Pro Grand Steam? We're trying to do the initial setup and the LCD menu just beeps for any button other than cancel. The manual says to use the +/- buttons to navigate to the setting, then press enter to select. The +, -, and buttons don't do anything but beep. This is for the steam oven LCD menu. The regular convection oven LCD menu works fine.

• anna_
    10 years ago

Nevermind, found the problem. It says oven needs to be off, but there is a mode selector for the steam oven - proof, defrost, convection, etc. That ring has an off position which it needs to be in before the LCD menu will allow 'settings' to be selected.

• subonim
    10 years ago

Cool, congrats on the new range. I'll look forward to reading how it works out for you in a few weeks. Hope you love it.

• subonim
    10 years ago

Cool, congrats on the new range. I'll look forward to reading how it works out for you in a few weeks. Hope you love it.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Anna:
    How's the range working?

• jennyaz
    10 years ago

I have one. Purchased and installed a few months ago... We went with the thermador package: 48 inch fridge (I found the columns lost too much space in the freezer with the way the ice maker fit), upgraded to the sapphire star dishwasher, range hood and the steam range. So far very happy with it. The only part I don't use often is the warming drawer. I would be happy to answer any specific questions.

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I opted for something else. :)

• SBH832
    10 years ago

How do you like your star sapphire dishwasher?

• maria0829
    10 years ago

jennyaz, would love to hear about the range! I am considering the same one for a kitchen remodel as part of the Thermador appliance package. Did you get any other appliances..refrigerator/ range hood? Also regarding the range, I have read there is no knob to indicate temperature of the ovens as they heat, only what you set the temperature and you can only increase by 25 degrees? How do you like the steam oven, any water on the floor?Also if you did get other appliances(Thermador or other) would love to hear your opinion, including d/w.
    Thanks, I cannot find anyone who has one to talk to yet!!!

• vstock
    10 years ago

Is there any other feedback on this range? We are considering it and would like to know long it takes or heat from cold to 350.

• kiki14
    10 years ago

I have this range and love it. The main oven does take a while to heat up to 350��" I think mainly because its a large sized oven. The side oven can be used for a variety of different baking functions��" steaming, baking and convection baking��" and it heats up to 350 significantly more quickly. The smaller side oven is perfect if you have a cake, casserole or side dish to bake. The larger oven (given the longer time it takes to heat up) I find I use more if I'm doing several cookie sheets, or obviously something large, like a turkey. Let me know any other questions, I'm happy to help try to answer them.

• subonim
    10 years ago

kiki14 - I'm so glad you love your range! I've been downsizing my plans the last few months and am now considering a range top with separate conventional oven and steam oven rather than the beautiful unit you have.

We're framing the house right now and I'll have to make a decision soon.

let me ask you - did you go with all Thermador appliances?
    If so, how do you like your DW, fridge and vent hood?

I'm currently comparing a mixed bag of Electrolux, Bosch, Bluestar and Zephyr vs Kobe compared to an all Thermador package for a relatively small amount more $ (able to get a great deal on Therm locally) plus, I'll get delivery to the build site when I want it and a local servicer vs ordering online and having the large items shipped to my current abode to be stored in my garage until the build site is ready at which time I have to get them there...

• kiki14
    10 years ago

Yes, I went with all Thermador and they've all been great. My DW was the "free with purchase" dishwasher, and I'm glad I didn't spend any extra for the upgrade. It's been a great dishwasher- easy to load and great capacity for pots and pans of varying sizes. (for what it's worthâ¦. the Thermador DW is a rebranded Bosch). I have the French door (freezer on bottom) Thermador fridge, and it's been great as well.
    One thing I should mentionâ¦. both the stove and the fridge (esp the fridge) were incredibly heavy and ended up being quite a challenge for my GC to install. They managed, and did a great job, but even they would tell you to be sure to have them professionally installed. If you are doing flush mount installation with your cabinetry (my Thermador fridge and microwave are both flush mount) it makes for something of a more complicated installation. Also the French door fridge has an anti-tip bracket which can be a little challenging to install, but is incredibly important to make sure is done right, because the fridge is top heavy.
    All in all, I love my Thermador appliance package, and would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Just my two cents⦠but having just gone through the build process, I think it's totally worth it have the local servicer, and to have them deliver when you need them.

• subonim
    10 years ago

That is great news, thank you! I too am looking at the French door bottom freezer - do you think the internal size is enough, and do you like the layout?

So your DW is the Sapphire model then, right? I think that's one of the rebranded bosch 800 plus series. I've been debating whether to spend 200 to upgrade to their top of the line. Good to know that may not be necessary.

Which vent hood did you go with?

• kiki14
    10 years ago

Yes, I've been pleasantly surprised with the size of the bottom drawer freezer. It initially looked small to me, but I've been able to get quite a bit of food in there.
    And yes, I have the Sapphire dw model. I'm really not sure what extra features come with the upgradeâ¦. the only one I remember is that there is a blue light that illuminates the floor when the cycle is finishedâ¦. for me personally, that wasn't worth $200 : ) I can't say for sure whether there are other features that affect functionality that come with the upgrade, but I can say that I've been happy with what I have.
    Unfortunately, I don't remember much about which vent hood I got. I believe it was whatever one they recommended to use with the Pro Grande (it's a big vent hood��" probably because it's a six burner stove top). My cabinetry was custom built around it, so I can't even see it! Sorry I can't be of much help there.

• CathyShoe
    10 years ago

Kiki 14 and anna
    Can you tell us a little more about your range? Do you like the griddle, cleaning griddle and grates, simmer, do you use the steam, how easy is it to fill, use of the warming drawer. If you could buy it all over again would you spend the extra 4000 for the steam pro range?
    Thanks!

• CathyShoe
    10 years ago

I'll go back to the original question and hope for some updates. I am buying a 48 inch range. Does anyone have the thermador pro grand steam and what do you like/not like about it? Im considering the pro grand steam vs. wolf duel fuel vs wolf all gas. I really want self cleaning but on the other hand I do not want to replace a burnt out control panel. I'd love to have a steam oven and warming drawer and thermador "gives" you a dishwasher. But Wolf seems more loved on the boards. I want to buy from a company that makes a good product and stands behind it.

• CathyShoe
    10 years ago

I'll go back to the original question and hope for some updates. I am buying a 48 inch range. Does anyone have the thermador pro grand steam and what do you like/not like about it? Im considering the pro grand steam vs. wolf duel fuel vs wolf all gas. I really want self cleaning but on the other hand I do not want to replace a burnt out control panel. I'd love to have a steam oven and warming drawer and thermador "gives" you a dishwasher. But Wolf seems more loved on the boards. I want to buy from a company that makes a good product and stands behind it.

• LauraFaye
    9 years ago

Any more thorough reviews of the range and all it's features?

• Kelli Culpepper
    9 years ago

Happy with the steam oven? Would you buy again? Can't decide between rangetop and Miele steam oven and one of their convection ovens or the big pro. On one of the many threads someone said they are glad they don't have a range due to all heat in one place and a professional chef said why bend over with a range when you can have wall oven and not bend over. That being said, I love the way this range looks and the griddle sounds like something we would use too.
    Thanks!!

• sfong06
    9 years ago

I too am interested in this range. I was going to buy a BS range top, wolf steam convection and L series oven but prefer the space savings that this range provides by incorporating all three into one unit. The steam oven is not as big as the wolf steam convection though. It will not fit an entire prime rib roast where the wolf looks long enough to roast a whole rib roast.

• amoopen1
    9 years ago

Any new feedback on this range? We are hopefully starting to build our house this year and we are strongly considering this range because of all the features built in, specifically the steam oven. We haven't heard many real world experiences with this range and want to be assured before spending in this price range. Thanks!