Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odiegirl13

Front Loading Washer on Second Floor?

Christine Clemens
14 years ago

When I looked at front loading washers years ago I was told that it should only be placed on a concrete slab because of all the vibration. Is that still true? Do the front loaders figure out the correct amount of water needed or do you still have to set it? Sometimes I forget to reset the water level to the correct level for the load which is really aggravating. Getting old I guess.

Comments (13)

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

We have a Miele front load washer (& dryer) on the second floor, no problems, and it has a very powerful spin cycle, too. It's important to make sure the machine is level.

• cjzimmer
    14 years ago

I was concerned about this as well. My sister has a Maytag and my MIL has an LG and both complain about the walking on wood floors. I went with the Samsung with Vibration Reduction Technology. They haven't moved an inch in the almost 2 years we've had them. Plus they are really quiet which is important since it sits not 10 feet from our bedrooms.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! That is great news. I see all of those great commercials but it is hard to know if they are accurate. I just love those front loaders!

• monaw
    14 years ago

odiegirl, I just had Miele 4842 washer with matching dryer installed on second floor one week ago today. We had the floor reinforced with 3/4 inch plywood, and bought a "stall/horse mat" from a local tack shop that we cut to place under each unit.
    This is a 4 by 6 3/4 inch heavy duty mat that is used in horse stalls, etc. for animals to stand on. I got the idea online and have another post with more detail in the Laundry forum. ("possible cure for second floor ...)
    We're sure glad that we took the extra steps! The washer does not move. I can see where if one had a load that wasn't balanced, it would walk without the pad. Of course we didn't need to put pad under the dryer, but because our old one made an annoying hum, we decided it wouldn't hurt since we had extra pad after cutting for washer. (Our set doesn't sit exactly side by side)
    Anyway, I would highly recommend. Also, Miele manual says to reinforce the floor if not using on concrete.
    We hear very little noise and that is usually when the washer is going into the spin until it reaches highest rpm, and when it is coming down. I am in a learning curb going from top loader to front loader, so I have had a few loads that I didn't balance well that have had more vibration. Plus I put a level on the washer, and It's a hair off on balance so I need to take care of that.
    Otherwise I'm very happy with the results and have to say they are much more quiet than my old top loaders on the second floor.

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

I have a Bosch front loader on the second floor. It sits on linoleum with w/w carpet in front of it and throughout the room. You can't really see the linoleum; the unit just sits on it. We also have installed a leak sensor device on the plumbing as it comes out of the wall. If the unit or plumbing leaks in some way, the water shuts off. I have not had any problems with the unit walking or rocking over the past year. If the spin cycle gets off balance ,the unit shuts off. I have had to replace the leak sensor. I would not get a Bosch again just because I have had a number of service calls and I am not WOW'd by the performance.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very clever idea for the stall mat. I have no idea what that is but I will research it. The existing floor needs to be redone anyway so I could take care of the reinforcing issues then. I can feel my existing top loader all the way upstairs on the other side of the house.

So when you say you did not balance it well, what do you mean? My mom has a tiny GE that spins the other way if it gets out of balance. At least I think that is what it does.

• monaw
    14 years ago

odiegirl, Well it seems that front loaders are more sensitive to a properly balanced load...I'm not talking about a balanced machine (one that is level) but rather a balanced LOAD.
    Here is an article that I have bookmarked that helped me understand how to load it. This is uk site with lots of good info and worth taking a peek at:
    http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/usage.html#cl_q2

Also somewhere on that site they have suggested:

"Beware of large capacity washing machines"

"If you have a larger than normal drum such as 7 or 8 kg this problem may be worse because it takes more washing to make the drum nice and balanced than a smaller drum size. DonÂt buy a washing machine with a large drum if you do lots of small loads and donÂt intend to double up your washing by washing large loads to save on the amount of washes you do".

Hope this helps! :)

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. I need to do a little research. I really like the idea of it figuring out the water level.

• bommai
    14 years ago

I have a 10 year old front loading GE washer in the main floor on a wood frame house in Lees Summit, MO. Worked great. It is in storage right now. I am building a house in Florida with the laundry room in the second floor. Next month, I will be moving in. Hopefully it does not vibrate and move around. The laundry room has wood subfloor, with durarock over it and tile over the durarock.

• User
    14 years ago

We've had a frontloading/stacking washer/dryer by Frigidaire for well over a year. It sits on the wooden porch floor which hubby covered with new 3/4" plywood. Since he moved it a couple of weeks ago, it will shimmy when the washer ramps up for a spin. Then it settles back down. Since he will be moving it again to put the stickyback vinyl tile squares on that end of the porch, I'm not planning a solution at this time.

I love this unit. The biggest loads we do are the bed linens (one bed)and that pretty much fills up the washer. It stays in balance nicely for the linens when all items are the same fabric weight. But with the lighter clothing, if I throw in a big heavy towel, it could get a spell of vibrating.

But I like the low consumption of detergent (HE) and also the fact it spins out the water so completely it is hard to tell if they were damp/dirty or damp/clean. And it is very quiet too, both in washing and drying. You can add a second rinse, another good thing if anyone is sensitive to detergents.

• monaw
    14 years ago

bommai, take my advice and spend $50 on a stall mat: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=stall+mats&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CCMQzAMwAA&cid=1649711254662026740&sa=image#p

You can get it at a local tack shop. It's worth the extra $50. Forget the vinyl squares. That will not keep your machine in one place, nor will they absorb vibration on a second floor.
    You need thick firm rubber. It works like a charm.

I lived in Blue Springs and Overland Park! "Old stompin' grounds"!
    I bet your thrilled to get away from Missouri winter. My parents live in Independence...

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

I have a maytag Neptune on 2nd. Floor. 24" On center truss never had any issues. Never walks is quiet And system corrects itself when out of balance. It is However extreemly heavy if moving yourself,