Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

KA Superba double oven w microwave ?

chas045
11 years ago

I have a KitchenAid superba double oven. The second oven is a microwave with convection.

I know that most of you don't have this unit, but perhaps your general understanding can help me out. The upper unit is a true convection microwave including a ceramic small broiling element. It is not a speed oven because microwaves don't run while the convection heat setting is used. Convection does include the broiler element. It heats fast and bakes a nice pie or bread etc. In convection mode, containers may be placed either on a raised circular metal rack resting on the turntable for good circulation or on a larger stationary trey almost half way up the oven.

It also has a 'crisper' setting that uses microwaves and the broiler that the manual specifically says is only to be used with a special high heating bottom pan that is heated by microwaves. I use it all the time for bacon. This trey may also be used with microwaves only like most regular microwaves allow. I was just reading an old standard microwave cookbook that suggested that fruit pies could be baked better by beginning with an ~8min microwave routine, followed by a crust bake/browning in a regular oven. I was thinking that I might be able to do both in the convection microwave. I would probably preheat the oven so it would be relatively warm after I ran the pie thru an 8 min microwave cycle and then run the convection back up to 450 for the browning.

So: finally to my questions. I have not attempted to run the unit as a straight microwave when the oven is hot. The manual doesn't say anything against it. Obviously one shouldn't put a soft plastic container (or a saran wrap covered dish) in it at that time. I would imagine many people have wanted to reheat some coffee or something when the oven is in convection use. Did anyone have a problem with stopping and briefly microwaving or microwaving in your hot oven?

And secondly, do you think I could run the crisper cycle (microwave + broiler) without the crisper trey that is supposedly required? For one thing, this would bring the pie closer to the ceramic broiler if it were on the turntable rack.

Obviously, I should be asking Kitchenaid, but they don't seem to be as helpful these days. It looks like the phone line is for repair appointments mostly.

Comments (2)