Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wagnerpe

Opinions on Four Door French Door vs. Side by Side

wagnerpe
12 years ago

We are replacing an "on the way out" GE 25 cu. ft. side by side. We have a galley style kitchen with a cabinet cut out for the fridge which measures 72" high, 36" across and 28.5" deep - as a result we are looking at standard size refrigerators. We have a 42" aisle in the kitchen which is reduced to 38" because of the refrigerator cabinetry.

Do you think this is too narrow a space for a french door refrigerator? We are looking at the Maytag 4 door and the Kitchenaid 4 door. With freezer fully extended, there would be about 18" of room between the freezer and the counter - enough to stand in, but not roomy by any stretch of the imagination. I am only considering the 4 door styles with the extra fridge drawer. It is appealing to our family to make the healthy fridge snacks as easy to access as the chips - rather than having the yogurt get pushed back to the back and expire like it does now. Otherwise, we will go with a side by side.

What do you think on the space issue? Any comments on KitchenAid vs. Maytag 4 door?

Also - a minor question: All appliances in the kitchen are currently black. All are also 10 years old which I now understand is about the life expectancy of appliances these days. So, realistically, they will all be cycled through and replaced in the next 5 or so years. We will only replace them as they conk out and we are not planning on moving from this house. Would you replace the fridge with another black one or go with stainless? I am not the world's most diligent housekeeper, if that matters.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert