Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corrosion on refrigerator plumbing

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:26

Twice per year, I clean out under the fridge thoroughly. This means taking the back bottom coverings off. today I noticed a large amount of corrosion, particularly at joints, on the copper plumbing. I see a problem coming (leaks?) Is there anything that can be done to slow this down, cleaning with anything special, or are leaks just inevitable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corrosion on refrigerator plumbing

Do you live near the ocean ?

o

We live in Michigan no oceans anywhere near us.

o

What color is it? Can you take a picture?

-Stooxie

o

"Is there anything that can be done to slow this down, "

Yes, you can clean the pipes and joints with a metal cleaner suitable for copper to remove the corrosion. It'll be labor intensive.

Best to find out how and where the corrosion is coming from. If you are getting moisture on the pipes from your home environment that could and should be addressed.

If the pipes are leaking from the inside somehow, that's a bigger issue and you should start look for a replacement - unless the unit is under warranty. Then drop the whole thing in their lap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here