Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Bluestar 48' range.... Oven Questions

gbsim1
14 years ago

I'll be going with the Bluestar 48" in a new home build and I"m at the point in floor plan design that I need to know whether I'll be going with double wall ovens or a range.

I've always had the double wall ovens... electric and since they're older, they're huge and non convection. The measurements inside for one are almost the size of the BS 48" large oven.

Re the smaller oven does anyone have any photos maybe with a casserole inside of the smaller oven? Does it have a light? How many racks? What are the dimensions of it... there is no info on this online that I can find.

With the gas convection in general do you find that you have to rotate cakes, bread etc? I'm a big baker and know that I won't want to be rotating dishes halfway through.

Can you put items on both the upper and lower racks at the same time and still have an even cooking? This is something that I can't do well now with the electric nonconvection.

15" interior height seems just normal to me as my oven now is 15.5 inches between the elements. Can you position things close to the top/bottom since there are no elements?

Any regrets with your BS ovens?

Thanks for helping a soon to be new to gas GWer!

Comments (11)

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

The smaller oven holds a half tray 14x18 height is 151/2, you can do multiple rack in the convection, but like all convection ovens no matter what the mfg says turning or spinning is a good idea

• gw_monkeyjac
    14 years ago

The smaller oven has two racks, no light and no convection. The standard size casserole dish, 13x9, fits perfectly. You can bake multiple dishes at the same time in this oven. I do rotate my pans, but I've always done that. It holds a half sheet pan. The racks are adjustable. I think there are 4 positions for the racks. More often than not, I use the smaller oven as it heats up quicker and fits almost everything I need to bake on a regular basis.

• Sherri Stein
    14 years ago

I want to get the 30" oven. How's the noise level? since it's not self cleaning - how often & with what do you clean?

Thanks!

• gw_monkeyjac
    14 years ago

I don't notice any significant noise from the oven. There is some noise associated with the convection fan, but nothing unusually noisy. I have had my range for 1 and 1/2 years and have only cleaned spills with a damp sponge as soon as the oven is cool enough to wipe down. If there is an excessive spill, I take the oven floor out and clean it in the sink. I think I have only done that once.

• Sherri Stein
    14 years ago

Monkeyjac - thanks so much for the info! You just helped me make a choice. Gbsim sorry to have cut into your post. But, I have asked these questions several times and no one has ever answered them. So, thanks for the answers everyone!

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you asked Learningguru! I'm searching for as much info about the ovens as I can.
    Thanks Monkey and Guadalupe for answering.... one more ?... do you find your ranges hot to stand in front of when the ovens are on?

I hope I can get used to turning baked goods in the oven. I'm used to popping in the bread, cake etc and then just checking for doneness. But I like the look of the range and think it might also save just a little space in the kitchen to have it all in one place.

If anyone else has any comments about baking in their Bluestars, I'd love to know more.

• gw_monkeyjac
    14 years ago

The oven fronts can get warm when on for long periods, such as Thanksgiving, etc. However, they weren't so hot that I couldn't stand in front of them and cook on the stove top.

• alexamd
    14 years ago

I have a 48" and decided on it to save space. I was debating between it and a 36" + wall oven. I was concerned that the little oven wouldn't be useful, but I actually use it all the time. I love my range. It is pretty to look at and really performs. The small oven heats up quickly and fits many of my pans. In both ovens I rotate my pans when baking and roasting. I really don't use the convection. My fan is noisy. I think it probably needs adjusting, but because I don't use it often I haven't done anything about it. I don't notice the range being hot when cooking in front of it and the doors don't get overly hot. The only exception is when I am broiling. The knobs get warm, because I leave the door open. I have had mine for 2 years and haven't ever done a deep cleaning. The big oven probably needs it at this point, but my small oven is pretty clean. Just wiping them out has worked well.

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So you can decide on whether to use convection or not? I thought it was an always on sort of thing?

• gw_monkeyjac
    14 years ago

The convection is not always on. There is a switch to turn it on or off. Only the larger oven has convection. I almost always use convection when using the larger oven. It cooks food faster and browns more evenly.

• tommmy2007
    14 years ago

I have the 36 inch heritage model which has the oven with the fan. I used the range for about 7 months. IÂve cleaned the oven at least 3 times now. I get better or more efficient at it each time. I found out itÂs simple to remove the oven door which really helps while cleaning (but it is heavy). The ovenÂs floor comes out real easy (it also heavy). All the rack supports lift off the wall so you have bare walls to clean. Not a single tool is needed up to this point but if you want to take the fan cover off you need a screwdriver 4 simple screws (I think I going to trick my ride and replace the 4 screws with wing nuts screws). I guessing the oven model without the fan is a couple of inches deeper since the fan is actually inside the oven.
    The oven door does get hot .It vents the heat out the doorÂs top which makes the burnerÂs knobs get hot to prevent this I pull the burnerÂs drip pan out a little (over an inch) which deflects the heat perfectly you donÂt even notice ItÂs out ( I do not want to bake my knobs).
    I cook like a crazy man and have smoked (Burned) many thing in the oven. It happens before you even notice when using 800 +CFM hood. I have gotten smoke inside my oven door on the glass (ghetto smoked glass). Now I going to have to disable the door to clean the glass but it looks pretty straight forward it will require a screwdriver.
    The range is simple. You need to learn to work on it yourself. You practically disable it to clean.