Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

Can one install after market variable control on hood?

cheri127
15 years ago

It's ridiculous to even be asking this question considering how expensive the hood I want is but Rangecraft will not install a variable speed switch, in fact, it's an upcharge to go from two speed to three!!! The problem is I LOVE the hood style I chose. I want more control over the speed because I want to get a 1200 cfm blower but don't want to be running at 400 cfm on low. So here are my questions:

1. Can the switch be changed later, before installation?

2. Is Modern Aire custom enough to modify a hood they show on their website to look more like the one from Rangecraft.

3. Has anyone dealt with Handcrafted Metal? They make the style I want, with variable speed, I can use any blower I like and they seem much more customer service oriented than Rangecraft (only Abakka was more disinterested)?

I just galls me that I am paying for a *custom* hood that's not really custom!!! Thanks for any advice or ideas.

Comments (15)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

You might want to try contacting Modern Aire directly. They can customize anything and I believe will be less $ than Rangecraft. It never hurts to ask. Good luck!

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Malhgold. I'm going to do that tomorrow. They make a very similar style it just doesn't taper as much as the Rangecraft one. Plus, I understand their customer service is excellent.

Anyone know anything about Handcrafted Metals?

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

"Can the switch be changed later, before installation?"

I'm sure you could change the switch, the downside would be that you nullified any warranty on the product :(

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Modern-Aire can make any style of hood you want. Talk to Jeff Herman. Good luck!

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

You can only change the switch if the motor is compatible. 3speed motors are 3 speed and can not be make variable, if you connect a variable switch to a 3 speed motor you will only get 1 speed either high or low depending upon how you connect the wires

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, now I get it. I had no idea that it was the motor and not the switch that determined how many speeds it has. Thanks, Guadalupe.

I got a great quote from Modern Aire (less than half the price of Rangecraft). They said they can make the same hood, sort of; theirs isn't seamless welded. Still waiting the hear from Handcrafted Metal.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

A motor can be wound with two separate windings, one low power, one high power. First gives low speed, second gives medium speed, both together give high speed. Clever, eh?
    You could use a varistat, But hard-wire the hood with so both windings are always on together. It's the only way to preserve the highest speed. Then, make sure the speed control is a) rated for electric motors. b) rated for the current drawn by the motor, in amps.
    In any case, the warranty will be voided. (unless the manuf. supplies the varistat)
    Casey

• User
    15 years ago

SM - is a varistat the same thing as a Variable Frequency Drive? Used to control and operate 3 phase motors with single phase power?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I was using it as shorthand for "motor speed control". I am ignorant.
    Casey

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Casey, that's exactly what they do at Modern Aire. Just spoke to someone there today about whether to do 1000 cfm or 1200 cfm and he said that they were the same 4 speed motor but the *dimmer* switch was wired to the 3rd highest speed in the case of the 1000 cfm and to the highest speed in the case of the 1200 cfm. So, I wonder why Rangecraft doesn't do that.

• kaseki
    15 years ago

Many of the larger roof-mounted blowers from Broan/Nutone and (and the Broan-manufactured 1500-cfm Wolf-supplied external blower I have) are single speed wound motors capable of being controlled by a motor control. While a Variac(R) and its analogues (variable autotransformers) would work nicely as a motor control, they are usually too large for easy integration into a residential wall or into a hood. SCR or triac* based motor controls, usually designed to be mounted in a standard wall receptacle box, should work nicely.

The schematic for the Wolf island hood that I have not yet installed shows a control with a shaft, electrically connected to a module with a triac symbol on it. I expect the control is continuously variable, but won't be fishing in the box for a while yet to find out. Wolf could have designed (specified) the control to have several sequential resistance settings instead of continuous variability, even though triacs are capable of continuous variability.

kas

*Triac is a General Electric originated name for a semiconductor device having the property of a bi-directional silicon controlled rectifier.

• drtom77
    15 years ago

Cheril- I just had a Rangecraft hood installed with a variable-speed control and a Fantech inline blower. The builder installed the blower and Rangecraft provided the switch when they installed the hood. What size duct will you be using? You should be able to get a Fantech to suit your needs. Will also save money compared to the Rangecraft fan.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Drtom, but I can't use an inline blower and Fantech doesn't make an internal one. I'm venting straight out the back wall. I decided to go with Modern Aire. Although they don't do seamless construction, I can live with that since the hood is less than half the price of the Rangecraft and will come with a variable speed blower and dimmer on the lights.

• lovelovelovefood
    9 years ago

I am thinking of installing a rangecraft hood with a fantech inline blower too. I know this is an old thread but can somebody throw some light on this. Drtom you said you did exactly this, did you have any problems. We wanted to go with a variable switch for the fan control and were not sure if we should go with the one that Rangecraft has or the one that Fantech does.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

While a Fantech control will be certain to work with the Fantech blower that it is designed for, it is not certain that it can be repackaged within the Rangecraft hood unless someone has already determined that it fits, or Fantech happens to know that it fits.

kas