Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzyjenn_gw

Best Appliance Customer Service?

JaZzYjEnN
10 years ago

Looking to buy a new stove after a horrible customer service experience with Samsung. The manufacturer choices based on our needs are: GE and Maytag. Has anyone had experience with either of their customer service departments? Would you recommend either brand? Why or why not?

Comments (11)

• xedos
    10 years ago

Wouldn't buy a Maytag.

First, they aren't a company, just a marketing arm of whirlpool who's CS doesn't exactly make us feel all warm and fuzzy.

Second, they aren't really know for stoves, got out of that business 50+ yrs ago.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Interesting that I've never seen xedos mention that: "Gaggenau and Thermador" are just "Marketing Arms" of Bosch.

Yet when I was looking for a part for a poster that had a Gaggenau oven, when I found parts it said,
    "Part fits Bosch, Gaggeneau or Thermador , things like heating elements, Thermostats, etc etc.

Lotta ppl think they are getting something really extra by buying the fancy names alto Xedos seems to warn them, "often" about Whirlpool but fails to do so with Euro manufacturers, to me, that's not "Telling it like it is"!

The posters best bet is to read as many reviews as possible and pick the appliances that are least likely to require service.

We've seen poor service on virtually any brand of appliance, Whirlpool, GE, SZ-Wolf, Capital, Blue Star, Miele,~~~ You name it.

This is because the manufacturers, (even Miele in most cases), do not do their own repair service. The companies that do the servicing do not in most cases stock the parts, and for the most part their service personnel are "Poorly trained"~~~~~at best! So Make every effort to buy appliances that will most likely not need service!

Gary

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Hi Gary, Poorly trained may not be accuate. Usually the service training given by the manufacturers is pretty good.
    But...
    A tech has to attend the training to get trained.

I've been to many product training classes where my service competitors didn't show up or maybe send all their techs. With todays high tech products it is really important to go to the training and we make sure all our techs attend.

I agree with you regarding picking appliances with the best service record, and a good place to do this is with C.R.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Gary - does Maytag have their own research and design team? How about management team? Do they have their own factories where they only produce Maytag appliances ?

Nope they pretty much cease to exist. The few factories that are still open are an old Amana plant from that acquisition and that scion of cooking Magic Chef ! Maytag 's only value is in its name.

Now , lets look at Gaggenau. While they are under they Bosch ownership umbrella , they have their own mgmt. team, in Gaggenau Germany. Their own factories where they produce Gaggenau appliances, and more importantly, a capable R&D dept. that comes up with things like full surface induction tops, side hinged ovens, pop up column vents, side hinged ovens. Some of that is shared across Bosch's other brands, like the induction, and some is not - like the ventilator.

I'll let you slide on this one since your a techie instead of a big picture management guy. But, how bout gettin a clue before you start looking for interesting things next time.

Lots of parts are shared in the industry, and not just within corp. entities. There are only a few fridge compressors on the market. Does that make Kitchen Aid a marketing arm of Sub Zero because the compressor will fit both ? How about the light bulb that fits your Electrolux and a thermador too? What about the door hinges that Bosch and Tdor and Gaggenau use on their fridges? Miele has the same thing too. That's a whole separate discussion because of the shared factory, but by your logic it'd make them just a " marketing arm" because the same part is shared.

Why don't you offer some reasons why one should buy Maytag instead of trying to pick a scrap with me and crapping on some other brand to deflect away from what the OP asked.

And speaking of interesting and tellin it like it is, why didn't you include your beloved Electrolux on your list of poor service companies and those that don't do their own service?

Inquiring minds find a THAT interesting.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

The link may be helpful to compare what owners of other brands have faced versus your Samsung experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Range troubles

• jwwbrennan
    10 years ago

In this area we also have to consider available service. Beyond a few common brands we're generally paying as much for training as service on a call. As it was we were paying too much, too often for brand-trained service technicians so decided on an alternative route.

We purchased a BlueStar - it is working out to be a quality product (good materials, good design, good workmanship). Other features are easily replaced components, comprehensive design (I can understand it if required for ordering parts, etcetera) and (I am told) it has enough in common with some commercial equipment to ensure service is always available if simple replacement is not adequate. To find a good commercial gas technician in areas that do not have BlueStar certified folks just ask at a successful, local restaurant; their livelihoods depend on them.

In the case of boil-overs and grease the burners are the easiest to clean we have ever used and the design makes the job similar to cleaning a counter and a cast iron frying pan.

• Leslie
    3 years ago

DO NOT depend on any Whirlpool brands which includes Maytag. I've been without a washer for 2 months. It's under warranty and I was told i was getting a new one but I can't reach anyone to do it! Not email, not live chat, definitely not on the phone...it's been 2 weeks since they authorized a new washer and zero contact.

• Lisa C
    2 years ago

I purchased several GE Monogram appliances at one point. Their customer service was good, BUT I know this because I had to call them many, many times for appliances that broke down. Every single one I believe, except for the fridge; that’s double oven, range, range hood, and dishwasher. I had to call them within days of installation for the range hood and dishwasher. The oven lasted a bit longer but had issues with the electronics after a few months, and they had to put in a new computer.

One thing I recommend - DO NOT BUY KITCHEN AID APPLIANCES. They have the absolute worst customer service; go to their Facebook page and simply read the comments. Horrifying. Beyond that, they are experiencing serious supply issues at the moment.

• Fabiola Villamizar
    last year

Hello.

I bought a refrigerator and microwave from Frigidaire in 2020/2021. My microwave broke to the point of no repair and I had to get a repair on the refrigerator already. Their customer service is terrible, they will give you very different info when you call and holding times are super long. Clearly they do not stand behind their product. They only do a year warranty and funny enough after a year problems begin Hopefully this will help

• Erin Roche
    9 months ago

I bought all GE appliances forv a kitchen reno. The dishwasher broke within 2 years and it was only used twice a week. The ice maker and water dispensor in the refrigerator never worked. i called GE customer servive 4 times and spent hours on the phone. They finally sent a service person to take a look. He said he’d try replacing a part, but would need to order it and then never bothered to come back. I gave up. I’m getting all new appliances. I’ll never buy GE again.