Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving dryer, do we need a Professional?

Posted by PAINTEDPEGGIES (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 13:39

So we've decided to stack our washer/dryer to make the laundry room more useable. It is a gas dryer; we had a pro install it.

To move it to stack above the washer, we will probably need to unhook it and/or extend the venting. I will be moving the washer about 4 feet to the left and the dryer will be lifted above it.

Any advice? Is this something we can do without a pro?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving dryer, do we need a Professional?

Imo any time you have to work with gas connections, you should call a pro because you want to make sure everything is safe and up to code.

o

The short answer is: "it depends." It certainly can be something that "can" be done without a pro but whether or not you can do it it depends on your carpentry and plumbing skills and on your local code and regulatory requirements and also on what you specifically plan to do.

Also, I suggest you try posting your question on the plumbing forum.

o

Anytime there is a gas line hook-up, it's best to get a certified plumber in.

o

I certainly would. I consider myself fairly handy and did nearly everything related to our recent conversion from an electric range to gas, including running a 120V outlet for the new range. But I called in a plumber to do the gas tie-in and hook-up because one does NOT want to make a mistake there. This is one place where I'd budget for a pro and recite 'better safe than sorry.'

o

This is something that can easily be done without a pro. If this is something that you can do without a pro cannot be determined since there's no way to know what your skills are. I would suggest, however, that if you have to ask, you don't have the required skills.

o

I agree with the above… The fact this thread exists suggests you need pro help. But also, are you sure this is a good idea? When that washer needs service, it is going to be a pain, especially since many manufacturers are REMOVING front access panels to save $$$. Stacked laundry has become more popular but I've always thought of it as a last resort for people (like me) who don't have the room. I wish I could separate mine, but I can't since they're in a closet. I dread the day when something goes wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here