Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of range hood would I need?

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 13:38

I am clueless with what size/cfm of hood I would need if I had a 36" gas range - I am thinking maybe Wolf or BlueStar if we can swing it. If not I might have to try something slightly cheaper like maybe a Bertazzoni or something like that.

The range would have 6 burners. No charbroiler or griddle. And we cook but not a ton of crazy cooking. Mostly quick dinners at night. Occasionally we would use a wok to stir fry. The range would be on an outside wall so it could be vented directly outside. There would be a window on either side of the range also. So I am thinking a chimney style range.

How big does the hood need to be? How many CFMs? The guy at the Bluestar dealer said 600 cfms because there would be no charbroiler or griddle.

I just want to double check here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of range hood would I need?

You can never have enough CFM especially if you are going to use a wok.

Your hood should be at least 3" wider each side of the range to ensure the HOGS (Heat, Odor, Grease, Smoke) goes out the hood not all over the cabinets/house. (36" range, 42" hood)

Check with your local building code regarding Make up Air (MUA), you may or may not be required to have it. If you have 600 cubic feet of air leaving the house through the hood every minute, you need 600 cubic feet of air coming into the house every minute to replace it. If you don't have MUA this air will come through any gap in can, chimney, cracks in doors, windows etc.

The more CFMs, the more noise the motor will make. There are options to remote the blower but this makes installing the hood more complex.

Search this site there is a lot of discussion on vent hoods.

See the link below for detailed info on MUA and the issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Providing Adequate Make Up Air

This post was edited by timdeb on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here