Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tress21

Please help me love my Bosch dishwasher...

tress21
13 years ago

Ordered the KitchenAid KUDE60 from Sears online. Two days later, I received an email that they were sold out of the KA and substituting the Bosch SHX65P0. I asked if they would substitute another model with features similar to the KA (heated dry, larger racks), or if I could pay the usual difference to upgrade to the KUDE70, but no go. Take the Bosch or leave it. So, after much deliberation, we took the Bosch. After all, how bad can a top-rated $1200 dishwasher be? Let's not act spoiled, now!

So the Bosch has been installed for 2 weeks and I hate it. I scrape my dishes and run it every day with the instruction-manual-recommended Finish powerball tabs and Jet Dry. I run it at night on the Sanitize Auto cycle and open it in the morning. There is a nasty smell upon opening the door and the interior door is sopping wet. Plastic items are also dripping. Most of the dishes are clean, however there are always 3 or 4 bowls covered in food. Some is hard dry remnants of stuck-on food, some appears to be food that was flung around and redeposited onto other dishes. So each morning I handwash whatever's dirty and leave the door open for everything to dry. We are banging into that dishwasher door all morning long.

But the worst is the filter. I clean it every single morning with a toothbrush and antibacterial soap because it smells awful. It's coated in whatever was on my dishes. Whatever sauce, or particularly any greasy or oily residue that was on the dishes, I find coating the filter in the morning. This morning, the entire filter assembly was covered in last night's curry. Couple that with the two inches of dirty water left standing in the filter after every load, and I have one stinky dishwasher. (From previous forums, I understand that a few inches of standing water in the filter assembly is normal.)

The Bosch was installed by a plumber. The drain loop goes to an air gap which then goes to the garbage disposal. I always clear the garbage disposal and then run the hot water before turning on the dishwasher.

Please, please help. What am I doing wrong? I read the manual, I thought I could do without heated dry, but maybe I was wrong! My old noisy $300 Maytag worked better than this. At least everything was clean and dry, and I never had to scrub the filter.

Comments (104)

• dodge59
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Who's the Boschie of the Posse?

• asolo
    13 years ago

You volunteering?

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Not me thanks, I tend to be "miele mouthed" about DW's

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

and I've been KO'd by KA.

as a foot note, I know there are some DW models that take care of the 'high-loop' thing by doing it at the washer. That is, the drain hose is routed up to the top of the washer and clamped there before the rest of the length of hose goes back to the floor and where ever.

Hence, cruz's Frigidaire hookup may be just fine if the machine incorporates the same thing.

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

High loops or low, notwithstanding, the OP's DW seems to me to be missing its heater. Or at least one of them. If they need to run the hot water and that at its hottest it gets to "bathing temperature", that seems like it is the home hot water heater doing the heating and not the DWs own.

The Bosch DWs have a heater. Depending on cycle, they will heat the water to 150 or 170degF. I had had my DW hooked up to cold water. In the winter, the feed water to the DW then was v. cold and always v. cold. DW still got the water up to those temps - took a longer wash time to be sure obviously, but it absolutely got there.

When the heater is hooked up, there is no need whatsoever to run the sink water to hot etc. Not with the Euro-DWs. American models may be different. BTW, some of the service techs don't know this - I've seen it espoused here that people were told by their techs that to get the DW to clean, it needs to be watered with hot water so waste all that water down the sink why don't you before you run your super-water-conserving energy optimising DW. Nonsense.
    Tress21, If your tech spouts things along those lines, call him on it, send him packing, and then tell the service company to send somebody who has passed Bosch DW driving school.

Finally, tress, I run my DW every few days and no I don't run rinse and hold. I think the only time I may have done so was when we mistimed our dinner, had fish right after a wash day and couldn't bring myself to run the DW with 2 fishy dishes and 2 forks in it, but couldn't bring self to wash the dishes either (don't recall why) so decided to wait for one more meal before running DW. That was about the only time I did the R&H. Otherwise, I don't do so. My dishes are always clean - and some of them can be quite messy especially the serving or doughy-preparation bowls.

Good luck with the tech. I really hope he can identify and fix the problem but my money is on a non-functioning heater. BTW, the DW works for you - not you for the DW. If this DW can't get its own water hot and can't wash your dishes, you really should not love it and you really should not keep it. My (Bosch) DW works very very well, very reliably and with no tending whatsoever : *that* is why I love it. It does this with half a tab per full load (I use the Miele tabs). Otherwise, I'd have no use for it whatsoever. Let the DW earn its praise and don't accept a DW that won't wash. End of story.

• enmnm (6b)
    13 years ago

OK, OP, update? You've got us all on tenderhooks.

• tress21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, here's what the Bosch tech advised:

First, although it's perfectly fine to have the air gap on the other side of the sink, the hose must indeed be propped up earlier. Here's what he did:
    {{gwi:1386350}}

Second, I had accidentally turned off my Extra-Dry boost. Feeling rather foolish about that. But for those of you who may be unfamiliar with Bosch, the Extra-Dry function is not simply a button that you push. There is one small paragraph buried in the 40 page manual that instructs you to turn the machine off, hold down the cancel button, then turn it back on. The light display says 00, which is factory default setting. You toggle the Cancel button until the display read 01. Then you turn the machine off. There is absolutely NO indication that you have turned the Extra-Dry boost on or off, except that the cycle times are slightly different. While I had initially programmed the Extra-Dry on, I then must have accidentally turned it off when I later programmed the annoying end-of-cycle beeper to stop beeping all night long (which required a very similar turn off/hold cancel-reset/toggle to 01/turn off). I'm usually pretty detail oriented that but it was 3 am when the DW was beeping and I decided I HAD to turn that beeper off, NOW!!

With the Extra-dry back on, cycle times are now about 10 minutes longer than what is listed in the manual. And...on the highest cycle, Auto Plus with Sanitize AND the Extra Dry....my dishes are now mostly dry. Bosch tech suggested opening the door about 15 minutes after the cycle, to allow plastics to air dry overnight.

He recommended a full Finish Powerball tablet and keeping the Jet Dry dispenser at its highest setting. Also recommended using Lemi-Shine every 6 months. He did not recommend Cascade.

I would recommend that anyone with a Bosch having drying problems that you carefully read the manual to see if you have this 'secret' Extra-Dry option. It's not in the cheat-sheet one page owner's how-to-get-started card. If you ever lose power or flip the breaker switch, the DW will reset to its default which is Extra-Dry OFF.

Finally, I asked about the food problem. I showed the tech that while the DW actually did a respectable job scrubbing my rice-encrusted saucepan clean, there was rice redeposited on other dishes. He nodded and said, yes, with this dishwasher you will need to scrape very, very well. Rice, tiny pasta, sesame seeds, small particles of food need to be carefully scraped off of each dish or they may re-appear on other dishes. With my old Maytag, I had gotten used to a quick dump/scrape in the trash and then straight into the DW. So this one may require a more careful rubdown with a spoon or paper towel.

Pre-cleaning is not really acceptable to me, so the trade-off is accepting maybe 2 dishes in each load that have a stray food particle left. Now that the drying issue has been mostly addressed, I'm not finding wet food being left on dishes anymore. So I don't feel that it's a health/safety/smell issue like it was before. An annoyance, certainly, since I expected this $1150 machine to beat my cheapo Maytag by a mile. I did get it at a great deal--and I figure it would cost me somewhere around $750 to swap it for that KA KUDE60 that I had originally ordered.

Thanks to all who took time to read and post answers. The support here is just incredible and I am very grateful.

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

He nodded and said, yes, with this dishwasher you will need to scrape very, very well. Rice, tiny pasta, sesame seeds, small particles of food need to be carefully scraped off of each dish or they may re-appear on other dishes.

With all due respect to the Bosch techie, that's utter rot.

I'm afraid you got one of those technicians.
    Sorry about that. Can you get rid of the DW? (IMO this is a malfunctioning unit).

• asolo
    13 years ago

Thanks for coming back. Couple of opinions....

1) That drain-hose modification is silly. Accomplishes nothing. He's just giving you a pat on the head.

2) He said: "...with this dishwasher you will need to scrape very, very well. Rice, tiny pasta, sesame seeds, small particles of food need to be carefully scraped off of each dish or they may re-appear on other dishes." I regard as 1) silly and 2) unacceptable in any event.

If that's how it really is with this machine, I'd cut your losses and get rid of it. Living with such poor performance for maybe 10 years would be out of the question for me. Except for the drying system, my new Whirlpool is very similar -- filter and all -- to your machine. My dirty loads regularly contain ..."rice, tiny pasta, sesame seeds, small particles of food..." (doesn't everyone's?) I have zero re-depostion issues and no filter problems. It cleans wonderfully and has none of these problems. Either you're getting the run-around or this particular machine is so incredibly poorly conceived as to be unworthy of a place in its quite-competitive market.

Personally, I find it hard to believe Bosch would design/market any DW that provides what you've described as "normal" performance. I continue to think something is being missed.

Sad to learn this news from you. Thanks for coming back with the story.

• boschboy
    13 years ago

It sounds to me like the tech is trying to placate you by stating that the dishes need to be pre-rinsed. I have never had any food redistributed on other dishes in my Bosch DW. Yes, this includes pasta, rice and various whole grains.

IMO, it sounds like your machine may be bad.

Here is a link on youtube produced by Bosch that discusses whether dishes should be pre-rinsed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BoschHome#p/a/91E07E915177682F/1/5si55pHkDIk

Best of luck!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I agree what he did with hose is stupid. I would want it immediately to go high after coming in to the sink cab. You have a lot more hose than I have had on my 2 Bosch DW. I did say I scrape but I certainly wouldn't say "very, very well". I agree something is still wrong and you should not settle.

• weissman
    13 years ago

You got hosed :-). Did he say anything about the water not heating properly? Did you bring it up to him?

Get another tech out or get rid of the machine!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

This is serious.

Call Bosch directly and ask for service over the phone. Ask for a manager. Tell him you have posted an image on the internet of the drain hose not looped high enough and therefore a risk to public health. He'll give you an email address or he'll email you so you can reply (with a link). Something like that.

Whoever came to your house may have been an independent who they hired. Perhaps he was relying on his previous experience in the DW repair field to get hired. Perhaps he's not a good learner. Some people, once they've learned something once, can't learn something new that changes what they previously learned, unless they get "hit over the head with it." He needs a ding or two.

There are a few web sites of appliance technicians ("gurus"). I'm sure they would love to get their hands on that image too.

Also worth getting their hands on is What You Quoted the tech guy as saying.

Hth

• cruzmisl
    13 years ago

In the name of all things holy please take the machine back and exchange it for a real dishwasher. It soundes like you paid $1K for a dish rinser. Whats the point of having an appliance that requires you to do most of the work yourself? Having techs come out that have no idea wastes your valuable time and energy.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Tress,

I had a similar problem last year with a brand new Miele. It redeposited food all over other dishes. Mine, however, was at least hooked up correctly. After several service visits, which resulted in etched dishes as well as food deposits, I returned the blasted thing and bought a KUDE60. Best decision I ever made.

IMHO, you need to have the hose routed properly and the DW water heater checked, and if your dishes still aren't clean, you need to return the DW.

• jakvis
    13 years ago

I talked to My Bosch field service manager and he would like the name of the service company so he can get them straightend out.
    What he did with the hose is not correctand accomplishes nothing. The high loop must be at the right wall in your photo, straight up, attached at around 20 inches high, then it can go over to the air gap or drain.

Regarding scraping... All I do is shake the big stuff off into the garbage pale and load directly in the d/w. Like I said the FSM needs to talk to this company.

• tress21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here's what we hooked up ourselves. The drain hose goes immediately up, down again and then back up to the airgap, which empties into the disposer.

{{gwi:1386351}}

Dishes came out with oatmeal on one dish. Of course I'll be continuing to see if performance suddenly improves, but for now I'm

...shopping around for a new DW.

One last question and then I promise I'll quit whining.

KA KUDE60 has an awfully similar looking filter setup. And I'd be amiss if it winds up like my current one:
    {{gwi:1386352}}

I haven't found any reports of greasy/stinky filters, but wondering if I shouldn't just go with a grinder instead (KUDS50). Anyone aware of odor/greasy filter issues with KA KUDE60/70? We have an open floorplan, so quiet is nice, but not at the expense of clean.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Absolutely unacceptable.

IMHO, Bosch and/or dealer should make this right for you or replace it. Continue to believe machine not operating as it should be and can be made right but if all they send you is know-niothing techs like Thursday, perhaps a different machine is the way to go.

Very disappointing.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I have the KUDE60. I sort of scrape and almost never rinse except for tomato sauce. My filter will trap large chunks of stuff, but amazingly, there's always less stuff there than I would have thought. I clean the filter when I happen to think of it, which is probably once a month. The mesh part of the filter will sometimes have a slight sheen of grease but no significant buildup. I don't have any odor issues (except from unwashed dishes which is to be expected), and my dishes come out CLEAN.

I also have an open-concept home, and to me, cleaning the filter is an acceptable trade-off for a DW with a grinder which would be noisier. YMMV.

• cruzmisl
    13 years ago

My Samsung has no filter to clean and as depicted in my photos above cleans wonderfully. It doesn't have the fancy name brand recognition of Bosch, Miele or KA but it looks good, is quiet and very affordable. Its also built very well.

This filter cleaning is nonsense IMHO.

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Hi again Tress21,

I'm no technician, and the only advice I can offer comes from having had what seems to be the same problem you're experiencing. Once I replaced my first Bosch with another, even though the replacement was a much less expensive model, the problem went away. The new Bosch machine was plumbed just like the first. It has the exact same filter arrangement. But now I put in plates with rice still clinging, sheet pans with the bottoms of biscuits stuck on, pots with spaghetti sauce inside. It all comes out clean. There are no odors and no greasy grunge coating the filter.

I'm sure Asolo is right and that your machine COULD be fixed. The problem is that it is nigh on impossible to find someone to take the time to isolate the problem and fix it. Instead, the techs try to convince you that you're doing something wrong - like operating a dishwasher is rocket science! Your machine is just too new for you to have to deal with the headache. I'd insist on a new machine. I'd be tempted to go with the Kitchenaid you originally wanted, but odds are that even a different Bosch of the same model would work fine. I personally have lost faith in Bosch quality control and plan to go with a Miele for our new house.

• chloe203
    13 years ago

Are your DW's cleaning things like Oatmeal and mashed potatoes?
    I don't run mine every day.

My Bosch will not clean those things on a regular wash.
    On a scrub wash it does better, although I still might have one or two bowels or glasses with baked on flecks .
    Right now I'm using cascade complete tabs and I have some finish quantum tabs I'm going to try next.

My DW was not hooked up right. I've pulled the loop up and attached it near the top of the cupboard and I've not noticed any difference.
    I don't have an air gap.

• asolo
    13 years ago

My new whirlpool has a filter very similar to OP's Bosch. And my typical load is plenty dirty -- all kinds of stuff left on the surfaces. My filter NEVER looks like the pictures OP posted. Never seen one that does. Like warmfridge, I pay little attention to it. Just take it out when I think of it, maybe once a month or so, but there's hardly anything there. Certainly nothing approaching what OP has shown us.

According to my manual, for installations running about one scraped-only load per day, filter cleaning should be done about every three months. No-rinse/no-scrape about once per month. Scraped and rinsed once or twice per year. I just look at it when I feel like it and have never found anything worth dealing with. Very quick and easy. .......which is why I have little doubt OP's machine is not operating as it should. Bosch designs and builds good dishwashers. Something's wrong with this one. It should be made right or replaced.

• sparky823
    13 years ago

Have you tried opening the door after it fills and adding a quart or two of water? This might help with the cleaning, may not be filling as full as it should.

I notice in the pics that you have the stainless fill line for the dishwasher. Personally, I hate those. Mine was installed with one of those when new and I had cleaning problems. Changed it back to copper line as I had previously and machine washed better. The inside diameter seems smaller on the stainless lines resulting in less fill,plus some machine makers are adding flow reducers so the fill period will be quieter.

Just something to try by adding the water your next load and see how well the cleaning goes. It can't hurt anything.

• workingondreamhouse
    13 years ago

Oh my - I forgot about the horrible stench of this dishwasher! (we moved and happily left it at our old house in August!). In eight years, and several visits from repairmen who looked at me like I was crazy - we never got it fixed.

As you say, the steam as present, it ruined two integrated panels in 8 years, but it never got things clean. Basically, we washed the dishes and used it as a sterilizer.

Good luck - call Sears and tell them you aren't happy and want a different DW.

• ecranny
    13 years ago

tress21, did you get a resolution for the problem? I am trying to decide between a Bosch and a KA, and I am trying to find out which will have fewer issues.

I had a similar problem with a DW not draining properly a couple of years ago. It turned out that the waste disposal unit was the culprit. There is a tab inside the unit where the DW drain feeds in, and that tab has to be broken out, maybe yours is not completely removed and that might explain what is happening.

• boschwillnotdrain
    13 years ago

I have the same problem. Smelly, but now won't drain the water after a cycle is finished. We have paid to have the control board replaced, then again with the aqua sensor and it now pumps some of the water out. If I start a quick wash and then push the cancel and drain buttons it will then pump the water out. However none of the cycles pump the water out at the end and a 0 appears, open the door and at least 1 to 2 inches of water is still in the bottom. They have checked the drain hose and it is at the proper elevation. Because this machine is three years told, we only have used it 1 1/2 years as we are winter visitors for 6 months of the year, they don't appear to now what's wrong and are not prepared to pay the labour for the unsucessful attempts by their technical staff and appointed appliance dealer. We now have invested $350.00 in parts and labour. I can tell you I would never purchase another Bosch when I replace the 10 year old one I have in Canada. This fixet has been going on for 1 whole month, and they are now telling my not to use any soap in the machine!!! Has anyone any suggestions besides buying a new Kitchen Aide?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I have a nearly 14 year old Kitchen Aid that still seems brand new. I have never ever cleaned any filter or anything else in it or had to run a tang cycle. It doesn't stink no matter if I'm out of town for a week with wet dishes in it. No standing water ever. It's disgraceful how I load it, not carefully at all but it forgives me and washes perfectly anyway. I don't pre-rinse most of the time unless it's just gross, it just goes in. It has a disposal so why should I? I just toss in a Cascade pillow and let er rip. I wash at night open in the morning and perfect every time. I'm so glad I saw all of this about Bosch, I thought I was going with a Bosch in the future when this one dies but so far it's still going strong. Wonderful machine, I only hope the new ones are still as good as the old ones and that every part in it is still made in the USA but I would not bet on that. sigh...

• Tmnca
    12 years ago

Just had a Bosche installed a few days ago and have used it 3 times. So far so great - no smell other than a faint "new appliance" smell (adhesives I think) and very very clean and dry dishes! Only thing I don't like are the racks - the tines are very closely spaces and with this base model no moveable bits so it seems less versatile to load. On the other hand dishes are held very tight when in the correct loading racks so no tip-overs to catch water.

I am using 1 tsp Lemishine granules plus 1 Cascade Complete (non-Dawn version) in the detergent dispenser and 7th Generation rinse aid in the RA dispenser.

• janiner
    12 years ago

FWIW, I've had two Bosch dishwashers and have never had anything like these problems. Yes, the plastics come out a little wet, but I'm more than happy to accept that trade-off as the lack of heating element means I don't have to worry about them getting melted, and I can put them on the lower rack. And sometimes if something like oatmeal sits in there for several days, there may be a few bits left. But I consider that my own fault.

However, I did have some issues with a Bosch washing machine and found their customer service to be extremely lacking. It makes me a bit sad, because I think they have a great product when it's working but if something goes wrong it's very hard to get help.

I'm sure the OP has moved on and bought something else by now but I just wanted to say this for posterity.

• twgg
    11 years ago

I purchased a Bosch 800 series: SHV58E13UC last year. Moved into my house this March, and have hated this dishwasher ever since. Here are my reasons:

1. Anything stainless steel doesn't clean well, ie. cutlery and SS pots and pans, I have to clean these manually, even running them through 2-3 times doesn't clean it.

2. DW smells... I've checked the filter, it's relatively clean, but the smell is coming from the water left standing at bottom of DW.

3. While I like the cutlery rack, the middle rack tine spacing and angle isn't best use of space. Lots of weird space that's left empty. And the bottom rack has such huge spacing that I can't put smaller items without it falling through.

4. No heater!!! While I didn't think this would be much of an issue (ie. I never used the heater option on my old dishwasher) dishes seems to be more wet than my old dishwasher. I rare ever got wet dishes in my old dishwaser and this one I have to wipe everything down! I'm also not sure if the lack of a heater inside the unit is responsible for the poor cleaning performance (see #1)

The only thing I like about the dishwasher is that its quiet, not a huge amount quieter than my old one, but noticeably. I had a top of the line GE from about 7 years ago (not SS interior).

I'm using Cascade 2-in-1 w Dawn packets... also tried Cascade Gel and Electrosol packets... nothing seems to work. I also have JetDry rinse agent. Also already enabled Bosch's extended dry option referenced above and also use Extra Scub/Auto almost exclusively to maximize water temp.

• mojavean
    11 years ago

twgg, your dishwasher has a heater, but it is a water heater, built inline with the interior plumbing of the machine. And there is without a doubt something wrong with it if it isn't getting your dishes clean.

You should wait until the machine is in the middle of the wash cycle, say 30 minutes in, and very carefully pop open the door just the slightest bit to stop the pump so you don't get sprayed. Then open the door. You should see steam coming out of that thing like nobody's business. If it isn't really hot and steamy, then you are not getting proper heating of the water.

Other things to look for would be clogs in the spray arms, a disconnected feed pipe (runs from the bottom of the machine up the back wall to the middle and/or upper spray arm. You should also ensure that there is nothing blocking the wash arms from turning. If all of these are okay, you should place a service call on the unit to have them check the pump, outlet hose, heater, etc. Also, I have had better luck using Finish Powerball or Quantuum tabs over the Cascade, so you might try a small pack of one of those. Best of luck!

• markhuss
    11 years ago

So Glad I found this forum. I bought my 800 series Bosch from Lowes and got a horrible "Wet Dog" smell the first night. It happens after I run a load and 1 minute after I open the door, it's bad - And it gets on the dishes. -- Have a water softener, had the Hot Water Tank Drained to make sure it wasn't a problem in the house. Replaced the Disposal 1 day before having the DW installed. The First tech was sent by Lowes said he did smell it and checked everything as "Okay". (we don't have an air gap btw). Then Lowes customer care said Bosch was told by the tech that there was no smell. Luckily, I had the Tech write that there was a smell on my receipt and they asked if they could send their own tech out before talking replacement. That guy was like the one Tress21 had -- he patted me on head and suggested that i (get this) add oil or grease to the dishes before washing since the phosphates have been removed. So thanks to this forum, I'm on hold with Lowes NOW telling them that it must leave my home no matter what it takes. I've never had to work for an appliance before that was to make my life easier. So THANK YOU. I needed your backup (or is that backbone?). Happy to say goodbye to this quiet but useless machine.

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

I'm sure Kitchen Aid no longer makes the KUDE60. I think mine is like 4 years old?? Anyway, a search on this forum will probably pull up the many posts about how thrilled beyond words I am with this dishwasher! After 4 years, it's still my favorite appliance I have EVER purchased and I've been purchasing appliances since 1979. Wow that year looks old! LOL I'm still amazed at how much I can get in it, how well it cleans, how quiet it is and the third rack is awesome :) The tines are well placed with several options to rearrange them. I removed the silverware basket and put my silverware on the third rack, opening up a huge slot for larger items. Paid just under $1000 (I think). I hope the current equivalent is just as good. I took my pots and pans and a large glass to the store to buy a Bosch. They didn't fit and the inside was surprisingly small.
    Oh, I don't use the heated dry cycle. Opening the door at the end of the cycle (it doesn't have to be all the way open) will dry out the interior.
    Monica
    Monica

• markhuss
    11 years ago

OMG Monica, THANK YOU~~ You aren't going to believe that I went down to buy the kude50 YESTERDAY from Lowes after doing hours of research. I got them just before closing. When I read your post JUST NOW, I called and upgraded to the 60 and it cost about 1400 with everything (install etc). It's a chunk of change but the refund on my stinky Bosch makes it about $200 out of pocket. I am grateful for your post!!

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

markhuss, YAY!!! I know you'll love it :) That's what I've loved about GW forums for 10 years...so much to learn even if the thread is year and half old (and older).
    I am surprised they still make the KUDE60. You'll love how adjustable the racks and tines are. They can move, be removed and adjust up and down. I changed over to Corelle dishes a few years ago since they're so much lighter and don't chip. Another plus is how well they fit in the dishwasher. Hope to read that you're in love with your new dishwasher :)

• markhuss
    11 years ago

I hope it's the same one...It may be the updated model. I posted a link below. Thank you again. I'm definitely going to follow up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Aid Kude60xxxx

• Cozysmom
    11 years ago

Oh my, I just read most of this forum and am glad to know I am not alone. My Bosch dishwasher is brand new and smells so bad. We end up hand washing just to avoid having to open the dishwasher! I called Bosch to ask why and got an attitude from their representative. She said to use ammonia to get rid of a build up in my machine but my machine is brand new! I asked about returning it and Bosch does not do anything for individual customers and that I need to go back to the store that sold it to me. What a problem this is and I paid a lot of money for what I thought was a premium machine. It is quiet and STINKY. The smell from the dishwasher makes us all sort of sick to our stomachs. I was told by Bosch that I needed to do this and to do that with dishes sitting in the machine for a day. I was told it was our habits of when to wash or run the machine. Interestingly enough, we had a wonderful old dishwasher for 16 years without a single odor and we didn't rinse and hold or run the machine everyday. My daughter wants to find our old machine and get it back. We are all very upset. Do NOT get a Bosch!

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

It must have been a great dw at one time but I know that the last few years there's been more and more complaints.
    If you get a new one, I highly recommend that Kitchenaid KUDE60. You'll find plenty of information on this forum.
    Good luck.

• markhuss
    11 years ago

So- Here's where I'm at: They ordered the KUDE60 and it still isn't here. It's been since my last post sept 11. It's such a long drawn out story it's not worth the "ink" but it should be here in about 7 more days! In the meantime, I've learned some things about the bosch to help keep the stink down:

1. run in normal mode only and open the door as soon as it's done
    2. after you run a load, if you start smelling "That Smell" run the entire cycle again without soap (you can peek in and see that there is still soap in there (eww).
    So far, we've managed to keep the smell at bay but I seriously can't wait for this machine to be out of here. I think the only reason I got to trade mine in was I put the pressure on Lowes to honor their 90 days return. Ill keep you posted on the KUDE60

• markhuss
    11 years ago

My Kude60 Kitchen Aid arrived today! OMG... I know I could just be doing a self fulfilling prophecy thing here but let me tell you - The drawers are totally gliding, like they're on Ice, no side to side shuffle to get them out! And they do the up and down thing like an elevator with the push of a button. Am I too happy to see my Bosch leaving? I can't remember, I didn't even wave as the technician strapped it like Hannibal Lector to the dolly and wheeled it out! Me and the KUDE60 are going to be best friends...I can just feel it. But then, if this is the excitment of my day, what kind of review can you really trust me with? LOL I will let you know. Thanks again for the tip, Monicakm!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is the KUDE60

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

YAY! So glad to read of your initial thoughts! Yes, those racks do glide reallly nice :) Wait till you start figuring out all the different ways you can arrange the racks. I've never used the silverware basket. Took it out the first day. All my silverware goes on top. If I have any overflow, it goes in the corner caddy on the bottom rack. Favorite appliance EVER :) Favorite detergent is Finish Quantum. Keep us up to date on what you think of it's washing abilities. Lot bigger on the inside than your Bosch too I bet :)
    Monica

• markhuss
    11 years ago

I know this isn't helping you to love your Bosch, but I just wanted to follow up. The Kitchen Aid is amazing and absolutely ZERO smell. Thank you Monicakm and Garden Web. I mention you in my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: the picture of the New Dishwasher

• nerdyshopper
    11 years ago

Markhuss: What flavor of KUDE 60did you purchase. I googled that model and got a few price comparison forums. On one I found a version of KUDE 60 (SXSS) for only $899.98 plus about $48 shipping. Te site was pcrichard if you are interested. I was going to order a Bosch 800 when my old Maytag gave up the ghost. I am so glad you posted your experiences at the forum and got the advice from Monicakm. Thank you both.

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

Ohhhhhh, that's wonderful news! You sound very happy with your choice :) Congrats!

• new_2_nj
    11 years ago

Markhuss - how's the noise level of the KA compared to the Bosch? I'm nearly sold on the KA, but I know how utterly quiet the Bosch's are and it's tempting.

• Rebecca8000
    10 years ago

I had this problem AND FIXED IT, thanks in part to this posting. First, I fixed the hose coming out of the dishwasher and into the food disposal to make it elevated (see posting from February 9, 2011) but secondly - and best of all - I realized you have to seal down the tray and filter at the bottom of the dishwasher by aligning the two blue arrows. THIS IS WHAT KEEPS THE DIRTY WATER FROM COMING BACK UP. I am a new woman. Whew!

• AmyInNH
    10 years ago

Bought a new Bosch in 2012, also finding it to be junk. The smell eventually goes away. The unclean dishes is still a problem 8 months later. Don't like the fine mesh filter that needs to be cleaned often. Detest the poor tine layout, not accommodating for bowls, pots, pans, large serving dishes.
    Also, for the first time ever, glass is coming out with white haze on them - same detergent, same water source.
    Shame on them for such low quality - Germans used to be the best at engineering products.

• monicakm_gw
    10 years ago

I get these updates via email. Rebecca, that's GREAT if you figured out the Bosch stink! A lot of people are going to be so thankful.

Amy, I'm sorry your Bosch is such a disappointment. It's what I went after but my larger glasses wouldn't fit, some pots and pans wouldn't fit and it looked so tiny inside. Like you I didn't like the tine layout either. I can honestly say, 110% that my KitchenAid KUDE60 is the best appliance I've ever bought! And I tell it that at least twice a week! LOL If you're looking to replace the Bosch, take look at KUDE.
    Monica

• lisk415
    8 years ago

so glad i found this forum. I thought i was the only one experiencing these problems. i really really hate my bosch silence 49 model and wish i hadn't bought it. total waste of money!