Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltimbocca

Weird induction phenomenon

saltimbocca
12 years ago

I recently switched from radiant to induction cooking, and am generally thrilled with the change. But I encountered a weird phenomenon and I'm wondering if someone here can explain it.

I got a lot of new cookware to work with induction, including a rather expensive Swiss Diamond induction ready non-stick 3-qt saute pan. The pan has a 7 1/2" flat (presumably ferrous) plate at the bottom, and widens to about 10" diameter at the top. It works fine on the medium and small size burners, but will not activate the largest burner, which is about 10 1/2" across.

At first I assumed that it was simply not large enough to trigger the magnetic sensor on that burner. But when I try even smaller pans on it, like a 6" bottom diameter stainless saucepan, or even a cheap 6" diameter non-stick frypan, the burner comes on without hesitation.

What is it about this Swiss Diamond that won't trigger the sensor? Low ferrous content? Bad design? It heats up beautifully on the smaller burners but I wanted to use it on the large one the other night and ended up having to play musical pots to get everything on a burner that would work.

Comments (4)