Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

dishwasher drawers not by fp?

ilmbg
10 years ago

I will want a single dishdrawer in my very small house when ready.
I currently have Fischer Paykel dishdrawers. I have had great luck with them and also much frustration. When they work, it is very good cleaning. When it did not work, it was not from over use, as I had probably used the bottom drawer less than 10 times! One of the problems is that where I live, in northern Wy, there wasn't anyone who had ever worked on a FP!
Sears, KA is made by FP. Is there another drawer that is NOT made by FP?
Thx

Comments (12)

• woodysapsucker
    10 years ago

I was really interested in purchasing a drawer dishwasher and was told that all dishwasher drawers are made by Fischer Paykel. Companies just put a different front on them.

The reason that I went with a conventional dishwasher is that that Fishcher Paykel told me that it was necessary to rinse dishes (not just scrape) before putting them in the dishwasher.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

ilmbg -- The only drawer units currently on the U.S. market are from F&P, both F&P-branded and DCS-branded.

KitchenAid and Kenmore no longer offer drawer dishwashers.

That being said, only the first-generation KA drawer units were sourced from F&P. Second-generation KA units, all Kenmore-branded units, and all Maytag-branded units were not F&P.

woodysapsucker -- there's no need to rinse the dishes. My F&P drawer unit is now 10-1/2 years old and I've never pre-rinsed. Scrape, yes (but sometimes not very well) ... rinse, NO.

• woodysapsucker
    10 years ago

This is what Rebecca N of Fisher & Paykel emailed to me:

Thank you for your query. Not only does rinsing the dishes assist with the wash performance, it also prevents any foreign debris from entering the motor and the drain hose system. If foreign debris does enter any of these areas, more then likely this will cause issues with the water draining out freely.

To add to that, the DishDrawer does have its own filter system but rinsing the dishes helps to protect against drainage issues.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

No repairs on my machine thus far in 10-1/2 years of use.

Rebecca N must either been a new employee or she didn't attend orientation/training. DishDrawers in fact have two filters. The circular stainless steel plate that covers the entire bottom of the tub is a filter, and the smaller section toward the front is strainer / protector for the drain pump.

• judeNY_gw
    10 years ago

I have had the same experience as dadoes. My machine is 9 yrs old. I never rinse.

What she is saying does not even make sense; rising dishes will cause the enzyme detergents to etch the dishes and glasses.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Any knowledge as to why the Whirlpool-designed drawers were discontinued? I never thought they were as well designed as the F&P-sourced DishDrawers, and CR also consistently ranked them lower. I've only used my 10-year-old single-drawer F&P dishwasher; it is adequately quiet, excellent washing, excellent rack design where just about any space is equally adroit at holding plates, bowls, or glasses of any size, with lots of useful, easy-to-make rack adjustments to help get everything to fit well.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe that the DD system has not caught on... Not everyone uses alot of dishes! I don't even fill 1drawer but about every 3 days-I just don't cook very much anymore! It is easier to wash a cup, plate when I wash my hands and put it on a towel on the counter for 15 minutes!
    I found a SMEG, brand. Do not know the cost (bet it's out of my range), and also think the people who know how to install, repair might be very limited...

• hvtech42
    10 years ago

The 2nd generation Kitchenaids/Kenmores were made by Fulgor. According to my friend who worked at Whirlpool back at the time of the transition, the build quality of the Fulgor units was much better than the Fisher and Paykel, one of the main reasons they switched. The technicians on Appliantology (an appliance repair forum which I have found really useful) seem to agree. I would guess they were discontinued because they weren't selling enough.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hvtech
    Yep-not enough ppl buying?? Not everyone needs a big A** dishwasher!
    Even my 18" in the condo rarely gets used...
    Wha......I wanna DD! Guess it is going to be another FP!
    Thanks for the forum!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I loved the concept of dish drawers and swore I'd never get a "regular" dishwasher again. I had a first generation KA made by F&P. I cannot even remember the number of times we had a service call, but it was many over the 7 years we lived with it before we moved. I now have a Bosch and it does a better job loading and washing, not to mention that it's much quieter. Hopefully, the newer generations of dish drawers don't have all the myriad problems mine did.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

F&P is currently in Phase 7 of design revision (approx Nov 2011) of their DishDrawer product.

The product was introduced in 1997 so it's getting close to 20 years on the sales market.

Phase 3 involved extensive mechanical design changes and went into production in early 2001.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I bought mine in 2005 or 2006.