Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bicyclegirl1

30-33" Refrigerator

bicyclegirl1
10 years ago

I'm so disappointed right now & completely frustrated! I have a very small kitchen & was hoping to stay on the small side for my fridge. Counter & cabinet space is prime real estate in my kitchen! I had found a Kitchenaid that is 29" wide. I just saw the Whirlpool equivalent yesterday & it is a very small fridge. I think it's just too small. So, I'm wanting to see if there's anything out there that is closer to 33"W. My ideal fridge would be 33" & counter depth, French Door. Ha, I believe this is not doable unless I go w/ one of the more expensive ones. I really want to keep it at $2k or less. I'm afraid I'm either going to have to go w/ 33"W & standard depth or 36"W, counter depth. But, I thought I'd put one last plea out there that if anyone has any suggestions &/or experience w/ something that would work, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (9)

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

One easy way to see what's available is to go to AJMadison site. They have a search by Size and Type. For example go to the link, then on the left side of the page, scroll down to see that you can specify width and depth size ranges and the site will display which refrigerators meet your specs.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Door models

• loismondt
    10 years ago

I feel your pain, bicyclegirl! I just went to Abt in Chicago and was given 2 options for 33" Width. One was a Samsung RF25HMEDBSR for $2879, the other for a LG LFX25978 for $1993.. both are regular depth of 36" +/-. I am looking at both of them since they give me more cf (25 cf) ) than the SxS, 36" counter depth fridge I now have (20.7cf) AND would fit better in my corner space (only 37.5" W). But since it is regular depth and I have a door entryway right there (total depth of 39") it is going to be tight which ever way I go. I'm fearful of that door opening up and slamming into a new fridge thus, damaging the SS (denting) as well as someone coming in when the freezer's open ~ thus, throwing it off track. UGH!!! I would prefer a Stainless Steel, FD model and these are 2 that the salesman suggested for that space⦠otherwise a 36'W limits me on opening the left side of the fridge doors. I welcome any ideas, advise on what other options would work ~ as well as other "reliable" brands that others have had luck with in the past. THis is SO frustrating in finding something that fits a small space and then trying to find a brand that will last longer than a few years.

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

athomesewing, thanks for the link to AJ's. I had already done a search on there, but guess I'm not going to have any luck w/ what I want. I was hoping someone had an ace up their sleeve that I didn't know about!! Thanks for the suggestion.

This is killing me too, Louie! It's so frustrating. It's either something really small or something really big...or spend $5000 to $8000! Not much compromise in the middle. I just can't justify a high price on a fridge since I might be selling my house at some pt in the next yr or 2. Or, renting it out. I may just suck it up & get a Kitchenaid that's 33"W, but standard depth. I really don't want to go w/ either Samsung or LG. I've not heard much good about both. More so w/ LG. I really want a Kitchenaid - lesser of the evils at this pt. I've read a couple not so great things, but I think in general, they're not too bad. You might want to ck it out, as well, since you're looking at 33"W. Check out the Kitchenaid KBFS22EWMS.
    Try this link: http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-%5BKBFS22EWMS%5D-402075/KBFS22EWMS/

Where does that door to the left of your fridge go? It looks like it might go into the garage? You might consider putting a sign on that door to knock before coming in & to open it gently, not throw the door open!! Or pad it w/ some foam rubber!! HA! It looks like an accident waiting to happen!

Let me know if you run into anything else. Good luck!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

If you can live with 17.6 cu ft, the bottom mount CD Fisher and Paykel is 31.09" wide. I've been looking at it for a condo update. They also make a FD version with slightly less space. Their 36" CD FD is 20 cu ft. I only see some middling posts about them here, however.

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks gooster. I had actually looked at that fridge, & the other F&P's. They have a few CD that aren't too wide. But, I've not heard good things about F&P & I didn't care too much for the color of the SS. It has a darker cast to it. They look good other than that. I've decided to go w/ the kitchenaid I mentioned above - Kitchenaid KBFS22EWMS. It's not CD, but I'm going to build my wall back into the 2x4's to see if I can gain a few extra inches. Then I'm going to build a cabinet for it & bring that up to the edge of the fridge box, right before the doors. My pantry is going on the left of it & will be built up to the front edge of the fridge box, as well. So hopefully it'll not be too much of an eyesore sticking way out. Also, I went on Lowe's website & they have it for $1439! I called Best Buys Pacific Appliance store & they matched it for me. So, I hope it works out ok w/ my cabinetry now!! You should ck it out. Great price!

Thanks.

• loismondt
    10 years ago

Yes, it does go to a garage and a note is a good ideaâ¦until they all "don't see it anymore" and come flying through the door again.. I looked at this Kitchenaid and it looks good too. I like the idea of not having an ice maker/water on the outside of the fridge since it is the main cause for a lot of problems with most fridges. However, I wanted to send you something I found while looking at this one that I thought you might want to read.http://www.epinions.com/review/KitchenAid-KBFS22EW/content_577546391172
    Just to make our decision even harder..

• sailas
    10 years ago

Hey - seems like the LG LFC25765ST could be an option - priced at $1899. It is a french door model at 32.75" wide.

I went to refrigerators.findthebest.com to look up the fridge. You can also compare side by side with other models and check out prices on bestbuy, amazon etc.

Check out the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: French door under $2000

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

louie, do you live in a frat house or something?!?! :)) Or, you must have a few teenagers! Sounds like you mite need a huge sign on the garage door in RED! Or, there's always foam rubber on the inside of that door...because it's so pretty! Would it be too much to take a cabinet from the right side of fridge & put it on the left, then move the fridge down? At some pt, that may be something you want to consider.

Thanks for those reviews (sarcasm!!) :)). I assume you're sending me that so I can read the reviews? If you notice, they're from 2011 & 2012. I take it w/ a grain of salt, at this pt! I think we can always find bad reviews on anything. I've actually heard less about KA than any of the other brands, plus I have a couple of family members that have KA fridges & they've not had any problems. I have an old SxS, about 9+ yrs old & it's has been great! Not 1 problem w/ it in all of these years. I hope I didn't just jinx myself! I bought that FD KA yesterday from Best Buy for the $1439. Too good of a deal to pass up. I feel, at this pt, it's a luck of the draw!

Good luck w/ your choice & let me know what you get. I'll ck in after I get mine installed - which at this pt could be a couple of months - & let you know how it is. I hope it all works out for you too.

• loismondt
    10 years ago

No can do.. small shelf to the right and then sink is right there. No teens, just a 9 yr. old with lots of neighborhood friends in/out. Wish you the best with your purchase and hope you get the best of the lot. Will be interested in how you like it and its performance. I am still on the fence about what to do. Starting to steer away from LG bc I'm reading too much about fires starting in them and a class suit against them for it. There's not much choice for 33" so I'm either with KA or Samsung. Still pursuing -- if anyone else would like to chime in! All comments are needed/welcomed! Just so frustrated with it all!!!