Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: interpreting hard water test strip from Bosch (or Miele?...

Posted by Derek87 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 12:40

hello guys,

i hope i can get some help. i received a water hardness test strip in order to properly set up the water softener in our new Bosch 800 plus dishwasher. unfortunately, the manual is unclear (at least to me) as to what i should be looking for.

i followed the instructions of dipping the test strip in water for 1 second, shook it off, and i see four bars that are beige in tone. after 1 minute, those bars did not change at all.

so, what does "red" look like? is the beige really red?

neither a "zero" or "four bar" reading makes sense if i am to trust our water district. we supposedly have water that is typically in the 8-10 grams/gallon range although it occasionally can be more or less depending on the blend of well and other water sources. with 8-10, i would have expected 1 or 2 of the bars to "light up" at most.

anyway, i am not sure what to think. does the 4 beige bars (best described as flesh tone or maybe the color of a bandaid) indicate soft water (maybe it's a "soft water day" in our area)? i know for a fact that our water is moderately hard, as evidenced by the white residue that accumulates in our black dishdrainer, and other accumulations in water basins in our house.

can anyone else share their experience with these test strips?

i'm attaching a link to a photo, but it doesn't really show exactly what i see. the bars are much fainter or lighter beige than is shown in this photo with the righmost (towards the edge) bar being slightly darker...the second one is moderately darker, and the other two are faint...

but definitely not red or pink...beige...

Here is a link that might be useful: confusing test water strip?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: interpreting hard water test strip from Bosch (or Miele

There's often some variation in water hardness, as it is blended from differing sources, or as seasons and rainfall change. I'm inclined to trust your water district's numbers over a cheap and perhaps "stale" paper test strip.

Two things confuse me: In your photo, the test strip is placed vertically; I'm guessing what you label the rightmost (darkest) square is the bottom one. Also, water hardness is sometimes given in grains/gallon (when it is higher), or in either milligrams/liter (or, equivalently, PPM). I'm not sure what "grams/gallon" means, exactly, in those terms; but since this will make a difference in your setting, its important to know.

You might show the strip to the seller of your dishwasher; presumably others have taken these strips in and I'm guessing everyone in your area has water of similar hardness.

Failing that, I'd rely on the 8-10 grains(?) measure from the people at your water district, and set the dishwasher for that level of hardness.

The only one of these strips I've used was for a coffee machine; it didn't show anything at all, so I used our local water board's hardness estimate, which is very low.

o

chac, thanks for your response.

- yes, you're right, i took the photo vertically, and yes, the darkest square is the rightmost square of the strip.

- yes, i had a brain fart there (often on these units ;p ). i meant to say grains/gallon.

- unfortunately, my seller and even the bosch distributor and general bosch technical support people (over the phone) have been of no help. i'm surprised that they can't help me with this.

so, you're right. i probably should trust our water district numbers and go with it. but i hope that perhaps other people on gardenweb who have used these strips could share some of their experiences.

o

Those strips aren't really the best product. As they age they become worthless.

If you want to get accurate results - get a proper test kit, or send out a sample for analysis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here