Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putschki

Does a combi microwave/warming oven exist??

putschki
11 years ago

We are building a new home that will have a small basement kitchenette next to the kids' bonus room, movie area, and a guest suite. Space is limited so I'm looking for ONE built-in (24" wide) or countertop appliance that can
* keep pizza warm during a sleepover
* nuke popcorn or leftovers
* allow guests to heat up breakfast pastries

Does such an animal exist ? Does the Miele Speed Oven have warm-only functionality? Thank you for any leads !

Comments (10)

• xedos
    11 years ago

The miele speed oven is simply a compact convection oven that has a microwave built-in.

If you can keep your pizza warm in your regular oven , you can do it in that speed oven.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I would think any convection microwave would fill the bill. the only issue might be its minimum oven temperature.

The GE countertop I have has a minimum convection temp of 225F. The Advantium 120v (according to the users guide) has a minimum of 250F. Either of these should be capable of doing what you want. The countertop unit is around $600, the OTR Advantium arount $1000, the built-in Advantium 220 around $2600.

PS: I"m not a big fan of the GE countertop. I prefer the Sharp.

• whit461
    11 years ago

GE Advantium. We are getting ours soon. It is supposed to be 4 ovens in one; warming drawer at about 140, microwave, convection, halogen high speed. Ours will be a wall oven.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Yes, the LG I have has a Warming Feature that works great.
    It uses a Radiant Heating Element.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Microwave with Warming

• xedos
    11 years ago

miele speed ovens have a temp. range of 75 to 475 deg.

should be enough to do any type of cooking or warming.

• lee676
    11 years ago

I've used the warming-drawer function in several GE Advantiums (both 120 and 240), it works well. Never actually had a separate warming drawer though.

• Shef Rav
    11 years ago

i cooked in the GE advantium in the showroom before deciding on buying mine. i baked cookies--great. i toasted bread--pretty good. I reheated food--great. i think either this one or the Miele speed oven would be perfect for you, but they're pricier than a regular micro with convection.

• putschki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate the help. The Miele is too much $ given that this is a basement unit with relatively low use. I'll probably do either the Advantium 120 or the LG (but the OTR style is awkward given that we don't have a range down there...guess we can install on a shelf over the sink...or does anyone know if the LG can be purchased without the venting ?)

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

You can still install an OTR unit and just ignore the vent. They all usually come with the vent set to blow out the front. Just don't turn it on. Use the lights for the counter underneath.

• putschki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weedmeister...is this what you do ? Seems obvious that I should be able to just ignore the vent, but somehow my contractor is concerned about this feature, and would rather I install a countertop microwave. Thanks!