Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stubaby_gw

GE Cafe AG Range - Is that your final answer?

stubaby
16 years ago

Alright, I was ready to pull the trigger on the GE Cafe range a few weeks ago, but after reading about all the issues some of you are having, I can't get myself to do it. I usually ask people on this forum for facts, but now I am asking for opinions. If you own a GE Cafe AG range, could you honestly recommend it as a purchase? If you answer no, what could you recommend instead in the same price/feature neighborhood, or even cheaper(must be AG)? As always, thank you in advance.

Comments (16)

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Ours will hopefully be installed on Tuesday, tho It's a dual fuel. I'll let you know. I'm anxious myself, to see if there'll be any problems. We have LP, not NG.

• maxq
    16 years ago

I don't consider any of the issues anyone has had to be epidemic to the Cafe model. There is nothing new to this range that would make it any more problematic than their Profile line, and that has been a reliable line of ranges. My range has worked flawlessly from day one. Yes, I would recommend it.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

I know the profile GE has a good reputation, I asked on another thread with no response. Where is the Profile range made? The Cafe is made in Mexico. I agree with OP for a new range there seems to be a variety of issues. Ill fitting oven doors. 2-3 ranges delievered damaged to one person. Burner issues. You didn't read about these problems with the Profile. Is is new range style problems or mfg problems? I am hesitant also.

• dbk1964
    16 years ago

After receiving my second All Gas GE Cafe range this past Friday and finding it damaged in the box, and after having spent 1 1/2 months and 5 service calls dealing with GE about the problem with my original range, I would not recommend buying the GE Cafe right now. It is too new and there are way too many problems being reported with very conflicting information being given between their Service Department, their Answer Line and their Customer Service Center and their Techs. If you are interested in the range, I would suggest waiting a few months for GE to acknowledge that they are experiencing real problems and fix them. It is a great looking stove and has some wonderful features, but something is very wrong if this many people are having problems. I am sure there are more folks with problems who do not know about this site or who may not have yet tried all the functions of their stoves to know they have these issues. Unfortunately, I have not found another range with similar features...believe me, I have been looking....because if this second range cannot be repaired or if it functions improperly if we do end up installing it, I am giving up on being a GE Cafe owner!

• tlbb
    16 years ago

Hi Stubaby. As I just posted on the other thread, I would not recommend this range. I think it has obvious manufacturing defects. I'm on my second one and I'm not sure if I will even attempt a third. As far as replacement ranges, I'll keep my eye on this thread for recommendations as well. Good luck.

tlbb

• elizabeth96
    16 years ago

I've been checking into the GE Cafe series and am not pleased with what I'm hearing either.

I posted a question a week ago called "Gas Range Options Besides GE Cafe?". I got a few responses, one recommended the Frigidaire AG PLGS389EC. It sells for anywhere from $1300 online to $1700 at Sears. Another suggested Bosch, although someone else who owned one didn't recommend it. That was pretty much it.

Just in case you want to check, the Bosch is HGS7282UC selling at Sears for $2100.

• chan123
    16 years ago

i've had mine for 3 months and its been threw the ringer and its been flawless and a joy to use. i'm rebuy it in a hearbeat

• bbqbear
    16 years ago

I purchased a GE Profile all (nat) gas #PBG910SE1SS a couple of months ago. This model is not the "Cafe" version but has a simular if not identical cooktop and burners. Also it has full SS top and backsplash/contol unit -- heavy cast full width grates --- rather attractive and "pro" looking. Cleans up easily. Have only used the center griddle once and its a nice feature.

I bought the GE in in place of a Bluestar that I had been lusting after for some time, but reconsidered as my condo rules prohibited an outside vent. No sense buying 22,000 Btus when it would only be practical to operate it @ half flame!

Anyway -- the GE has been terrific in very way. (it does have a 17,500 BTU power burner too and brings a large pasta pot to a boil in less than half the time my old Whirlpoop did -actually the WP could barely boil it at all). I still have to do my wok cooking (and crab steaming) outdoors on my "cajun" LP gas burner (34,000 BTU) because of the smoke issue. The GE oven holds 500F easily for my pizzas and according to my My Infrared thermo-gun indicates oven stays within 20degrees at all settings--- very stable. Also the simmer burner is awesome w/nice stable flame you barely can see so be careful that it gets turned off! Large burners also simmer well too.

It may not be a BS but I sure am happy with the GE. It has been flawless and performance beyond my expectations --- I thought I was making a big compromise. Price was not hard to take either, bought a new Profile DW along with the range for a lot less than the BS alone.

• tlbb
    16 years ago

Hi bbqbear. I couldn't find anything with that model number, or any ge profile with a ss top. Where did you purchase it? I'd be interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.

tlbb

• vmolesg
    16 years ago

GE seems to change model numbers every three weeks, but bbqbear almost certainly meant the PGB910SEMSS. I've put a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile stove.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

vmolesg, is that just a clock on the back or does it have controls that you would have to reach over the burners for? I do not want to reach over flames to push buttons.

• bbqbear
    16 years ago

sorry PGB910 is correct my typo.

Yes there are controls on the panel and you have to reach over the burners.... but would you leave the burners on with nothing on top so that makes you reach over flames?? Sorry I don't see the point. In my 60 years I have never thought that would be an issue.

• stubaby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I may be incorrect, but I believe the GE PGB910SEMSS lacks the convection option and it's lower drawer is a "warming drawer" vs. a 150F to 450F Lower "oven" on the Cafe. Looks like a great stove, but too dissimilar, at least to me, to consider it as an alternative for the Cafe range. My hunt for an alternative to the Cafe continues. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

• bbqbear
    16 years ago

Stu... there is an option for convection and second oven (neither of which I care about -- do like the warming drawer tho)... it's been awhile.. so I don't know the model # just check out the GE website..

• cathi917_aol_com
    16 years ago

Hi! I'm in the market for a new dual-fuel range and have been comparing many brands - it's very overwhelming! The two that I am seriously considering are the GE Cafe 30" dual-fuel, model #C2S980SEMSS, and the Bosch 30" dual-fuel, model #HD17282U. Both are very comparable, with some differences: The cafe has 5 burners with higher output and the drawer is an oven, not a warmer. The Bosch only has four burners, but is gas over glass for easier clean-up, and the drawer is only a warmer, but has proofing capabilities (Big deal for me as I bake a lot of yeast breads). The Bosch also has a higher oven wattage. I really like the center griddle on the Cafe, but am very concerned about it being made in Mexico. If anyone has the Bosch and could give me some feedback on it I'd appreciate it. Also, a great site for comparing the different brands is AJMadison.com, they list all the specs in the same order for all the stoves they sell making it easier to compare features.

• newyearbabie
    7 years ago

The first time we put our GE Cafe Dual Fuel into self clean, it never came out. We had used it for 11 months and GE refused to repair it on their dime. Parts were back ordered and we have been without an oven for 5 weeks now. This week Home Depot made everything right and agreed to give us a full refund. We're having a new range installed next week. It is NOT a GE.