Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenjoan_gw

27' double oven

helenjoan
16 years ago

Thanks to the many helpful comments in this forum, I now realize that one cannot assume that 27" ovens are identical to their 30" twins. We are still in the design phase, and a slightly better design calls for 27"double ovens. If I go with the 30" double ovens, I have settled on the GE Monogram. But, thanks to postings, I realize the 27"Monogram is an older (and flawed) design. So - those of you with 27" ovens - what do you like? I will be getting a separate Microwave - or an Advantium - so i'm just interested in convection double ovens. I have seen Viking ($$$), and Thermador (don't like the CR reliability ratings) - what do you like? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• laney50w
    16 years ago

Hi there,

Well, the Advantium is certainly a very good choice. It is a tried & true unit.

Consumer Reports:
    I take CR's reviews with a grain of salt. I don't trust any company in bed with Sears.

Double Ovens:
    Many to chose from, and most have very little issues. Brands like Kitchen Aid, Frigidaire, Maytag, JennAir, Viking, Wolf, etc etc etc...Depends what price point you want to be at. Frigidaire wall ovens are excellent, we have a very strong track record with Frigidaire, as well as other brands. Frigidaire has the best bang for the buck, with very nice designs.

BTW: You can get a 27" wall oven with all the same features as a 30"...Depending on brand.

ALSO, look at the Electrolux Icon appliances. Very, VERY good stuff! Their wall ovens are beautiful, sleek, and have a ton of features at a very affordable price point. You can get Wolf quality, without spending $6500! The ICON wall ovens are roughly priced at $2500!!!

Take a look at them, see what you think! :)

Chris

• bryce5
    16 years ago

Hi,

We've had our 27" Thermador double ovens for 2 years and so far we have had no problems with them. Good luck with your decision.

• cheri127
    16 years ago

There are Gaggenau double wall ovens listed on ebay right now for $2250. It's a steal. I bought a combi steam oven from the same dealer and it arrived new and perfect. These are discontinued models. I called Gaggenau and they told me that as long as the ovens are installed professionally and you keep you receipt of installation, the warranty is valid. I'd have bought the double ovens too but I don't have room for them.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I'm really happy with my Bosch double ovens. The top one is a combination convection and the bottom is a regular oven. I've had no problems with them.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I have the previous model Dacor (epicure classic). Have had for three years - no problems so far. I'm not that fussy about ovens - just want them to work. I realized I was taking a chance on that with Dacor but I liked it the best of the 27 inch options available - at a moderately exhoribitant price. Wasn't willing to spend any more than Dacor - which at the time was less than Thermador and some others.

• jcla
    16 years ago

We've had our 27" DCS double ovens for over three years--and absolutely love them! We wanted to upgrade to 30", but decided to go with the 27" because they were replacing stacked 20-year-old Jenn-Air 27" ovens--and we wanted them to fit in the same cabinet. They're much more spacious inside than the previous ovens were due to improvements in insulating; the walls aren't as thick. We were happily surprised when we discovered we could fit wider pans in them. They're both combination convection/radiant ovens. They've worked flawlessly!

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Because I was a bit pressed for space, I did the 27" GE Profile Convection oven with the 120 Advantium and nothing else.

I cooked for 30 at Christmas and with a bit of pre-planning this was just fine.

I love the versatility of the Advantium 120 - convection oven (bakes great, even when double stacked baking inside the advantium), microwave, and warming drawer (have left pizzas in there for over an hour-tastes perfect!)

I thought I might want a microwave, too. so have wired inside a base cabinet as a backup, but so far - the advantium and convection oven combo has been just fine!

Good Luck!

• annab6
    16 years ago

jcla,

Can ask you a couple of questions about your DCS?
    I am also checking out 27" ovens and looked at the DCS today at Home Expo. They do have a large interior.
    One thing I noticed, the control panel is not a "touch screen" but has the "hidden button" sort of thing (I have no idea what is the proper term for it). I have been previously advised by salespeople that this type of button is the one that breaks the most. Has this given you any problem overtime?

And another thing is the convection fan is pretty open. Does anything get inside it by accident?

Thanks
    annab

• bonjo
    16 years ago

We have had our 27 Double wall convection Gaggenau ovens since Dec and absolutely love them. There is some conflicting info from different dealers about there being discontinued. Our dealer in Calif. still sells the 27 inch.

• jcla
    16 years ago

Annab,
    We've had no problem whatsover with the DCS controls or with anything getting in the fan. In fact, we've had no problems of any sort.

• kaye_
    16 years ago

I love both my Miele oven and my Gaggenau Steam oven. I think you would be happy with either a Miele double or a Gaggenau double!

• halfbaked
    13 years ago

I have been searching for a 30" double oven since Christmas. I have read reviews about every oven out there, including many reviews from this forum.

Originally, I was drawn to the Thermador Pro Series, mainly because it was the look I wanted and had all the features I was looking for. However, the negative reviews were too many to ignore.

After visiting a local showroom with many high end appliances, I found I was also drawn to the new Jenn-Air double ovens, but determined there wasn't enough information out there and no reviews ... too new. I had read about the Gaggenau's and Miele's on this site (as well as many others), but had almost ruled them out as cost prohibitive.

After several weeks of dedicated research, I couldn't resist the great reviews and the obvious quality of the Gaggenau ovens, especially after seeing one in a showroom. By ordering online, I saved more than $2,000. I ordered a new refrigerator from the same online company about five years ago and we were very pleased. Everything as ordered, full warranties, etc. For anyone considering buying online, I hope this information is valuable.

I should have my new ovens in approximately three weeks and I can't wait to let everyone know how they are working! The Gaggenau double ovens are a little over 56" long (exterior measurement), longer than most we looked at (at around 51"), so we will need to have some cabinet revisions made prior to installation.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think you have helped me make a great decision!