Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicehasleftthebuilding

Ordered my new cooktop!

Finally.

I was one of the early-adopters of induction. I originally had a Brandt that I purchased from Cook Power (no longer in business) in New Zealand. I absolutely loved it for three years, until one day while cooking there was a flash and a bang and the left half of my cooktop ceased to function. Joy. Brandt and Fagor are part of the same company. Fagor started selling induction in the US and refused to even sell me a part - they would do nothing other than offer to sell me a less-functional cooktop for more money. No thanks. The wiring on the Fagor cooktops, compared to others I've seen is flimsy - no wonder mine shorted out - no more Fagor appliances for me!

I've live for the last year with half of a cooktop while I researched, saved, etc. Today, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Bosch 30" - I am looking forward to cooking with four elements again.

Comments (9)

• twix6
    12 years ago

Can you tell us which series you went with and why?

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NIT3065UC

I only have space for a 30" cooktop, so that determined the size.

The 3065 has all of the features I want:
    1) 11" element
    2) Shut-off timers on each element (it amazes me how many induction cooktops do not incorporate this - I use it every single day)
    3) all black - I know lots of folks like stainless, but I just hate the look
    4) high power boost of 3700w on largest element
    5) inductors are NOT made by the Fagor group
    6) If stainless had not been an issue, I likely would have made the same choice because I don't see the PreciseSelect feature being worth an extra $300.
    7) My cooktop is in an island with a telescoping downdraft. The Bosch element configuration places the largest burner closest to the vent, which is perfect for my situation.
    8) The extra power on the large element of the 8065 might have overcome my loathing of stainless, BUT that would have required rewiring, which is a huge undertaking due to the configuration of my house.

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Congrats. I hope you will enjoy your new Bosch. I love mine.

• boschboy
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I love mine and am sure you will love yours too.

• wallycat
    12 years ago

Congrats!
    I ordered mine as well last week....should arrive end of month.
    I too ordered the Bosch...500 series, 30" (did not want to convert to 50 amps).
    I would have loved the no stainless trim but the 300 did not have direct temp selection, which my DH said would be preferred. Since I went with stainless trim, I would have loved the controls on the strip, but the several hundred was not worth it to me since you have to touch the cooktop to pick the burner anyway.
    I am excited to get it---We will redo the island counter, so it will take a bit of time to install, but hopefully a quick process overall.
    Thank you to all who were kind enough to post thoughtful and meaningful help when I asked :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

That's great wallycat! I'm glad you were able to find the cooktop you wanted at a price you could live with - I tracked price trends for months before purchasing.

• sepandee
    12 years ago

So can I ask whether you have received and used your NIT3065UC? And what's the difference between the 300 and 500 series?

I have to make a decision on buying the NIT3065UC quickly, as the Sears (Canada) sale on it ends tomorrow.

Original Author
    12 years ago

500 has stainless trim - 300 is black glass without trim.
    500 has direct power select - 300 you use + - buttons to select power level.
    500 has cleanlock, which prevents accidentally changing settings while wiping up a spillover.

As far as I can tell, that's it.

Original Author
    12 years ago

It's here, just waiting on some modifications to the countertop to install it. Initial impressions vs the old Brandt (Fagor):

The Bosch wires are of a much heavier gauge.
    The Bosch weighs twice as much.
    The Bosch appears to be a much more substantial unit.