Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mookiekat

Do I need to buy new cookware for a new glass cooktop?

mookiekat
11 years ago

Hi all! I am so thankful that I found this forum!! It has been a wealth of info!!

We bought a new GE profile 36" electric cooktop. LOVE the layout and everything about it, except that it scratches soooooo easily!!!

We had an old coiltop stove that we had been cooking on, so the bottoms of our Calphalon pans are all scratched up. I wonder if this is the reason that the glass cooktop has gotten scratched? Do I need to buy all new cookware to keep more scratches from occurring?

I really love how this cooktop looks. Very sleek and beautiful, so I want to be able to keep it and use it for many years to come!

Would love to have some experienced advice!

Comments (6)

• Fori
    11 years ago

You probably can get by with just changing your cooking style. No sliding anything. No jiggling. To scratch your old pans you must have been doing a little of that!

• char_35
    11 years ago

I had to by new cookware. My very "old" cookware was not flat bottomed. I ended up with a 6 pc. set of cuisinart. They work great. I have a few pots that are flat, but not as smooth as is needed for the glass top. I use them VERY carefully, no sliding or "jiggle".
    I'm also not the "neatest" cook. I've had to learn to keep a moist cloth or sponge handy to pick up spill and boil overs immediately. Spills left on the glass only become more difficult to clean. Products like Cerma Brite ceramic cleaner are a must.
    It's a re-learning process, but the cook great and are beautiful. Enjoy.

• mookiekat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes...I was sliding and jiggling on the old coiltop. However, I have been super careful not to do any of that with the new glass cooktop. Even so, I have scratches from the first use, so that is why I am asking.

Anyone else with any advice?

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Only thing I can say is keep the bottom of the pans and the surface of the cooktop clean.

These aren't castiron by chance?

• ronaka
    11 years ago

We have not experienced scratching with our GE smooth top. However, it is not the white, and is the speckled grey/black finish, so perhaps we just do not see the scratches. Use a razor blade and CeramaBright to clean.

The key to smooth top cookware is a very flat machined bottom -- and smooth to avoid scratches. Aluminum or copper bottom is likely going to be less abrasive. And the cookware flat surface has to match the diameter of the element used. No use in putting a small diameter on a large element, or the element will just cut back in output. In other words a large diameter high output element is useless unless you use a matching diameter pan.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I had a smooth top in my last house and it was an upgrade from a coil top I did get new cookware but not due to scratching the whirlpool glass top range. Mostly I was tired of my worn mismatched pots. I did get Cuisenart stainless and love them after nearly 10 years and I recommend them . I have added a lodge cast iron skillet and griddle recently. I like the smooth surface and how it could be kept clean and sleek with cerima bright. But I been back to gas again since moving 7 years ago. I like gas a little better since that is what I first learned to cook on