Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cheaper alternative than SubZero 84" high fridge

Posted by chrisk_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 11:59

We just bought a house and the refrigerator space was built to accommodate a Subzero fridge: approx 3.5' wide, 2' deep and 7' tall. I don't want to spend the $$ on a SubZero. Is there a less expensive brand that will fit???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cheaper alternative than SubZero 84" high fridge

Look for a counter depth 42 inch (wide) units. There are many choices out there.

o

If you want it to look like it was designed you are pretty much stuck with buying a high $$ fridge - especially at 42" wide.

There just are not a lot of choices at that width. You may be able to save a few dollars with a GE Monogram, or Thermador, or you may not. Depends on a lot of factors.

Hey dj, I disagree with your assessment. There are almost NO 42" counter depth units on the market. I would love to be proved incorrect though, so link away if you know of any.

o

Keep in mind, a SZ is a great appliance that is meant to last. Like the value of your house or BMW, properly maintained they are designed to last for years, and be serviced accordingly. They are not a "use it for 10 years and buy another" appliance.

o

Liebherr is also another one you could look at, I have one and so far love it.

o

^^^^

....except Liebherr doesn't have a 42" wide model !

Come on people, the quest is for a fridge that is:

1. built-in - meaning 24" deep
2. 42" wide
3. 84" tall - or less
4. less expensive than a sub zero.
5. did I mention 42" wide, not 36", not 48" , not 30" , but 42"

In other words - it's a very,very short list and hard to populate.

o

Ajmadison lists 16 42" wide choices meeting your measurement limitations. Pricing begins just north of $5K.

Side note, I am very happy with my BI 36" KA fridge. I also didn't want to spend big bucks on SZ, but wanted a BI look.

Here is a link that might be useful: 16 Ajmadison fridges

o

The AJ Madison search linked above is pretty representative (missing Jenn-Air and Electrolux).

If you are trying to save money, if you go to the high-end appliance shops, they usually have the floor models on sale this time of year.

o

Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like I will have to spend at least $5,000 but better than $10K!

o

Jenn-Air and ask if there are floor models. I am getting the 48" model new for $8500.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here